Geraldton costs of living?

theleggates

Hi folks,

I have been offered a job in Geraldton through a 457 sponsored visa so will be moving over from Scotland in a few months with my wife and 1 year old daughter.

We would be looking to budget a maximum of $400 per week on a 3 bedroom house within a 20 minute or so drive from the centre of Geraldton so any advice on which areas we should aim for would be much appreciated.

Also what we would really like to know is what are the current costs of living in Geraldton? If anyone is living there at the moment with a similiar size house it would be great if you could let me know how much your monthly bills and general costs of living are.

Thanks in advance!

The Leggates

We have been living in Geraldton for over 2 years now. You could live most places in Geraldton for 400 per week for a 3x2 within 20 mins of the centre. It depends if you want to live semi rural on a larger block further out or in one of the more central suburbs. We live in Mount Tarcoola which with Wandina is one of the newer suburbs full of families. There are two primary schools and a new very good nursery. Both are 5 minutes from the CBD and beaches. You could definitely get a 3x2 for that money in either suburb. Sunset Beach is another similar suburb with nice new housing about 10 minutes out of the CBD. further out there is Drummonds Cove which takes about 15 minutes into the CBD. It is all new housing, full of families and next to a lovely beach. When I have worked it out I will post a rough idea of bills.

Hi, thanks for replying to me. I have had a look at houses in the areas you have mentioned and they all look very nice and within our budget so that is looking good. If you could get back to me with your costs of living that would be great. Just trying to figure out how affordable it will be for us as I am hoping my wife wont have to work initially so she can look after our daughter. We are coming over on a 457 and have been looking at how much tax I will have to pay on my salary and it seems to be quite high... 32.5% on the total amount plus 9% super adds up to a big chunk of my salary gone! We are planning to rent out our house in Scotland so it might depend on how much rent we can get for it to see how affordable the costs of living will be.Really hoping it can work out for us!

Hi , we have lived in gero for over 2 years now also came over on a 457 visa . It's really difficult to explain the cost of living as things in the shops are sometimes extortionate and at first you think you will never survive but once you start earning the Ozzie dollar things settle down . Start off costs are quite high as you need a full months deposit on your rental plus 2 weeks rent in advance . Then you need your fist grocery shop which can be anything up to $500 , you will need a car and don't know if your shipping over furniture but you will need things to tide you over until they arrive , best to borrow where you can , weekly living expense is ok which seems bizarre at first but we save more money here than we ever could in the uk and every other pom is the same ( there are at least 40 families here that we know ) it's a great lifestyle and brilliant for your little one . Who will you be working for ? And when are you moving ? Anything else you need just give us a shout

Hi louey68! Yes we are prepared for the high start up costs as we will have to furnish the house and buy a car etc but from what research I have managed to do so far the cost of living doesn't seem too bad so I'm sure we will survive. I am a mechanic and have been offered a job at young motors. We have not started the visa application yet but should be next week. How long did it take your 457 visa to come through? We will be moving as soon as that comes through and we get everything tied up here in the UK, so hopefully won't be too long!

• 1 month later...