Lifestyle for kids in Australia

Dreamy Fish

[quote name=Dreamy Fish;1936414431

Also out of interest' date=' and because I've just read an article about a UK family facing jail for taking a pre-booked holiday during term time, what is the general policy on school absences, ie for a family holiday? It's not something we've actually ever done but I was just wondering.

It is difficult to generalise because education is administered separately by each state, so they may have different policies. But I would be extremely surprised if this happened in Australia. I have known children to miss a whole term - travelling through Europe, or around this country by caravan - and the schools have been supportive, supplying material for study while away.

IMHO I think this is much less of a problem than casual but regular absenteeism.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dreamy Fish

Although our children are grown up we now have some pre school grandchildren here. We live 20 mins south of Frankston in Mount Martha we've been here 5 years and were really struck with how the children seemed to stay younger for longer than in the UK.. There are so many more opportunities for an outdoor life here the surf club swimming soccer and lots more, the children in our road ride their skate boards down the hill and often 20 or more congregate for the afternoon just to have fun on our hill, they are much politer and more friendly than in the UK and the older teenagers seem to have more respect for their elders, it's a different world, not perfect but better.

Keep away from Frankston but the towns south of Frankston are lovely and the beaches to die for, just watched a lovely firework display for Australia Day, the Aussies are really proud of their country which is so refreshing.

good luck

Diane

We are currently in the process of applying to Victoria on a 190. I say we, my husband is the main applicant and myself and our three kiddies are coming along for the most exciting ride ever!

I've never been to Australia, we are hoping to visit but circumstances change all the time so I am relying quite a lot on reading posts on this forum to get a feel for things. My parents used to live in Sydney for 6 years so they are really behind us doing this as they think it is a fabulous opportunity and a great place to raise kids. I can't imagine the rest of my life never seeing the other side of the world....

Sooo, we have been looking at the burbs of Melbourne and I am very taken by Frankston South. Having a look at the school websites and they have such positive outlooks, it is just how I imagine it to be.

What I was wondering though was what the lifestyle is like genuinely for children. I have three, a son of 8 and two girls who are 3 and 1.

Where we are at the moment, a market town in Oxfordshire, we are really happy but my god it is expensive and full of gym yummy mummies motoring about in their petite Range Rovers!!!! People are quite judgmental and there is a lot of comparing of things like salaries, cars, holidays etc etc.

I am quite laid back, I like my kids to have freedom and be independent within reason. I have no problem with my son scaling the tree at the bottom of the garden and dropping into the trampoline below, but for other people, it is a big no no. Likewise he is more than capable of walking into school from the school gate and getting himself to class, but again, I am hugely judged by others who absolutely will not leave their child's side and even after they've filed in, will make sure the coat is on the peg by peering through the window!

How safe is Victoria for children? It feels like all the time in the news there are abductions here in the UK. Is it a generally safe area, are kids allowed to play and explore?

I get the feeling Australia is big on the outdoors and sports. Here people rely massively of electronic ways of keeping their children entertained, gaming stations etc. What is that generally like in Aus? Maybe I am naive but I don't tend to imagine children there plugged into the latest GTO game.

And lastly in my rambling post, consumerism, here the children must have the latest passing fad. Moshis have just passed by and now it is Match Attax and Skylanders. We don't tend to watch live TV which I am grateful for because of the constant bombardment of childrens ads. Which then piles on the pressure because you don't want your kid pick on because they don't have the latest "must have" item. What is Australia like for children from that point of view?

Any responses would be very appreciated! It is going to be hard to get to visit so I am heavily reliant on opinions of others who are living it!!

Chrissie x

Must be hard trying to made decisions from the other side of the world. Victoria and i guess Australia in general is like other places you have good suburbs and not so good suburbs. Good suburbs tend to be more expencive than the not so good suburbs they have better schools, kids tend to be politer that sort of thing. As another poster said stay away from much of Frankston, yet just a few Km down the road you have places like Mt Martha that is just lovely. Really best bet is to rent something for 6 months, that way you are not "rushed" to find something more permanent. Put the kids into the local school with the understanding that if you are not overly happy with the school it is a short term solution and the local state schools in your catchment have to take the kids so that is not that big a concern. Over the 6 months you can have a good look around, go visit schools in the areas you like and then make a more permanant move.

Lots of kids are into electronic games but again it comes down to what your family encourage and will allow. From a personal perspective i prefer private schools one of the reasons being they offer more after school clubs and activities everything from Chess to Cricket, Swimming, basket ball even Duke of Edinburg Award clubs, so the kids friends from school tend to be involved in those things. Of course there are also heaps of sports activities kids can join independent of any school association. Hope it helps a little

Thanks a lot for all the responses, it's really helping because like you said, it's not easy making a decision from the other side of the world!

There is absolutely no way on earth that we would be able to afford private schooling here in the UK and to be honest, I am not expecting it to be remotely affordable in Australia either, unless they are a lot cheaper than here.

We're not expecting an easy ride either, we work really, really hard here, but it's just to exist. We don't take holidays, not even within the UK because it's just too expensive. We don't spent a lot of time together as a family. So we are expecting to have to work really hard if we make it to Australia too, but we completely want to embrace the Australia thing. I want everything to be different! The kids love being outdoors and it's just not that easy here when it's so cold and dank.

x

Ah still tapping and researching away. I am sure that I could start a new thread with this but as I am getting responses, I will stick it here!

Sooo, of course I could be being all rose tinty naive, but, I am getting the feeling that the whole Australian education system is geared towards turning out kids who are actually able to put their education and skills into proper practical use. And that trades jobs are just as valued and desired as more "academic" jobs. And that there are paths and qualifications which lead directly towards all of it and the salaries are much higher than in the UK so I am hoping/expecting for my kids to get a good education and grow up to be independent and self-sufficient. Am I being dumb...!?

There is absolutely no way on earth that we would be able to afford private schooling here in the UK and to be honest, I am not expecting it to be remotely affordable in Australia either, unless they are a lot cheaper than here.

x

All our natural children, and our foster kids, went to private schooling at a maximum cost of $1200 a term, one as low as $900

I don't think the Australian education is perfect and 'skills v knowledge' is just as much a hot topic in Australia as it is in the UK but in general I think you have summed things up pretty well, other than the higher wages - I don't think they are higher in relative terms for most people.

The 'academic' route is pretty much as per the UK, although the route to becoming a professional seems easier to achieve - I have a friend training as a psychologist at the moment and it is nowhere near as arduous as the training required in the UK.

I definitely think there is far more opportunity for the young non-academic, boys in particular although girls more and more so are doing trade apprenticeships - the media loves nothing more than a wee women in a hard hat and high vis vest next to huge earth moving equipment!

We've returned to the UK and at his first parents evening at his new school in Edinburgh the head was keen to learn more about how he was taught in Australia as his attitude and ability to learn are impressive. I think they believed he'd be a bit wild and uncontrolled but in fact it's the complete opposite he had learnt self-motivation and self-control very early on (he was 5 when we moved to Perth & we stayed 5 years).

I must add that our son went to a private school in Australia which we picked because it matched our idea of what a 'good' education should be. Private schools are much more affordable and around 50% of kids are in a private school - my son's was less than $4000 a year & we could pay monthly. If you've got more than one though it still adds up!

All our natural children, and our foster kids, went to private schooling at a maximum cost of $1200 a term, one as low as $900

It's a completely different ball game in Australia isn't it? As I've just posted my son's school was under $1000 a term.

We're paying around £900 a month back in the UK but wasn't prepared for his education to suffer because we had decided the UK was better for us.

Having read this thread with interest, I'm now slightly concerned about how my children will fit in! My eldest (boy, 7) is not at all sporty (he scores own-goals in PE!) but is very gifted academically. He is top of the class, reads encyclopaedias in bed and loves making paper aeroplanes. He's only just learnt to ride a bike, isn't into scooters (though he has one) and we stopped his swimming lessons as he just wasn't improving and it was a waste of money (I should point out that we intend to save up and invest in short-term, intensive private lessons this spring / summer as it's imperative that he learn to swim before coming out!).

Will he get bullied at school??

My middle child (girl, almost 5) would love to learn ballet but we can't afford it. She's a bit clumsy and quite introverted, and didn't inherit her brother's intellectual genes. That said, she's just the sweetest little girl with a huge heart who comes out with some very sensitive observations at times. Quite random, too - the other day we caught her staring at the pots on the drainer and when we asked her what she was doing she remarked "the cups are very quiet, aren't they?" !!!

Will she be left to fester at the bottom of the class, or do less-academic children get helped out, like in the UK?

Our youngest (girl, 3) is very, very bright but also jolly mischievous. She is confident, funny and loves being the centre of attention. No concerns at all there (although she is a redhead so I fear she may get teased...? Or sunburnt, at the very least! <- joke).

Thanks guys

I-F

Having read this thread with interest, I'm now slightly concerned about how my children will fit in! My eldest (boy, 7) is not at all sporty (he scores own-goals in PE!) but is very gifted academically. He is top of the class, reads encyclopaedias in bed and loves making paper aeroplanes. He's only just learnt to ride a bike, isn't into scooters (though he has one) and we stopped his swimming lessons as he just wasn't improving and it was a waste of money (I should point out that we intend to save up and invest in short-term, intensive private lessons this spring / summer as it's imperative that he learn to swim before coming out!).

My middle child (girl, almost 5) would love to learn ballet but we can't afford it. She's a bit clumsy and quite introverted, and didn't inherit her brother's intellectual genes. That said, she's just the sweetest little girl with a huge heart who comes out with some very sensitive observations at times. Quite random, too - the other day we caught her staring at the pots on the drainer and when we asked her what she was doing she remarked "the cups are very quiet, aren't they?" !!!

Will she be left to fester at the bottom of the class, or do less-academic children get helped out, like in the UK?

Our youngest (girl, 3) is very, very bright but also jolly mischievous. She is confident, funny and loves being the centre of attention. No concerns at all there (although she is a redhead so I fear she may get teased...? Or sunburnt, at the very least! <- joke).

Thanks guys

I-F

My son has Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome and is unable to do much sport and is uncoordinated, he is also very bright though I wouldn't say gifted. He got on at school without any problems in Australia - not to say he hasn't had moments of self-esteem issues, but he has definitely not been bullied. It all depends on the school just as it would in the UK but I feel there was more choice in Australia (if you could afford to pay for it although as a new migrant you can choose which school catchment area to live in (within reason - as the 'top' schools are in the expensive suburbs))

As mum's we'll always worry and that will make us our children's best advocate to get them the education they need in which ever country you live.

Thanks guys

I-F

Sadly, bullying is endemic in more Aussie schools than one would like to admit. It depends very much on the school leadership as to how bullying is addressed - you could be lucky or he could be a prime target. Probably less of an issue amongst a cohort of other gifted kids (ie go private) - fees anywhere from $4-25k pa.

Lower functioning kids tend to get somewhat lost because they aren't in the middle and they don't attract disability funding. Support for them depends on the school and the state. Some schools do slow kids better than others but I don't think there is the targeted additional help that seems to be prevalent in UK. If you're lucky a kid might get Reading Recovery in yr1.

Red heads definitely at risk of sunburn and will undoubtedly be teased - there are few kids who get away without being picked on for something and red hair will do it.

Edited by Quoll

Ah still tapping and researching away. I am sure that I could start a new thread with this but as I am getting responses, I will stick it here!

Sooo, of course I could be being all rose tinty naive, but, I am getting the feeling that the whole Australian education system is geared towards turning out kids who are actually able to put their education and skills into proper practical use. And that trades jobs are just as valued and desired as more "academic" jobs. And that there are paths and qualifications which lead directly towards all of it and the salaries are much higher than in the UK so I am hoping/expecting for my kids to get a good education and grow up to be independent and self-sufficient. Am I being dumb...!?

That'd be nice!

Degrees are king in Aus, even more so than UK I think and trade qualifications aren't that easy to come by or aspired to. The education system differs from state to state with considerably more rigor in some than in others. A good proportion of kids at HS level go to private schools (over 50% in ACT a couple of years ago) and I think that points to a degree of parental dissatisfaction with the state offerings. I wouldn't put my kids in a state HS TBH. Primary - ok. I don't think any of the Aus systems are any more or less likely to turn out kids who want to put their education to practical use. I know that both my sons were very disappointed with the quality of their uni courses from a top Aus uni. Most kids grow up to be independent and self sufficient regardless so I'm sure your kids will be fine.

My kids (both aussies)partly grew up in Oz and the UK.As far as your kids playing computer games or whatever,it does'nt matter which country you are in,its the parents rules that matter is'nt it???My kids were allowed 30 mins of tv or gameboy per day,and during school holidays (I was able to stay home with them)I would allow them to watch a movie or two as a "treat"Our tv/gameboy was'nt the babysitter!We also knew parents who would allow their kids to spend all day watching tv or playing gameboys.My kids spent a fair bit of time outside in Australia,although I have to be honest and say in summer,due to risk of skin cancer,we would try and avoid being outside between 11am-4pm.I have to say though that when we moved to the UK,nothing changed.We still spent a fair bit of time outside,still 30 mins of tv per day and so on.To this day my kids,both in theri 20's hardly watch tv!!!We used to bake,read books,be creative and make stuff,play,climb tree's,make cubby houses,look for frogs lol in BOTH countries.I do know some aussie parents who literally have to nag the living crap out of their kids to go outside!As for people being materialistic,that depends who you choose to hang around with.Myself,I had mates who were'nt at all,but there were plenty of people out there that were.Sometimes I speak to my family members in Oz,and some things are apparent.(1)They're all addicted to their tv's and whats on it!(2)They are very materialistic,and openly discuss how much they earn ect (3)They care an awful lot about their houses and cars.

Sadly, bullying is endemic in more Aussie schools than one would like to admit. It depends very much on the school leadership as to how bullying is addressed - you could be lucky or he could be a prime target. Probably less of an issue amongst a cohort of other gifted kids (ie go private) - fees anywhere from $4-25k pa.

Lower functioning kids tend to get somewhat lost because they aren't in the middle and they don't attract disability funding. Support for them depends on the school and the state. Some schools do slow kids better than others but I don't think there is the targeted additional help that seems to be prevalent in UK. If you're lucky a kid might get Reading Recovery in yr1.

Red heads definitely at risk of sunburn and will undoubtedly be teased - there are few kids who get away without being picked on for something and red hair will do it.

Oh dear, I'm now going to be consumed with worry on this subject! We can't afford private and the last thing we want is for our kids to have a bad experience in Australia... :-( Surely the schools can't just turn a blind eye, though? I read something on Kidspot about how they're meant to be pro-active in stopping it... If my kids do get bullied then I'll have to have it out with the parents myself :realmad:

Re: sunburn, yes we're very careful with her (my husband's ginger so he burns easily, too) - she's more auburn than ginger, actually - and spend half the summer slathering cream over her! Probably easier just to stay inside or in the shade, lol.

My kids (both aussies)partly grew up in Oz and the UK.As far as your kids playing computer games or whatever,it does'nt matter which country you are in,its the parents rules that matter is'nt it???My kids were allowed 30 mins of tv or gameboy per day,and during school holidays (I was able to stay home with them)I would allow them to watch a movie or two as a "treat"Our tv/gameboy was'nt the babysitter!We also knew parents who would allow their kids to spend all day watching tv or playing gameboys.My kids spent a fair bit of time outside in Australia,although I have to be honest and say in summer,due to risk of skin cancer,we would try and avoid being outside between 11am-4pm.I have to say though that when we moved to the UK,nothing changed.We still spent a fair bit of time outside,still 30 mins of tv per day and so on.To this day my kids,both in theri 20's hardly watch tv!!!We used to bake,read books,be creative and make stuff,play,climb tree's,make cubby houses,look for frogs lol in BOTH countries.I do know some aussie parents who literally have to nag the living crap out of their kids to go outside!As for people being materialistic,that depends who you choose to hang around with.Myself,I had mates who were'nt at all,but there were plenty of people out there that were.Sometimes I speak to my family members in Oz,and some things are apparent.(1)They're all addicted to their tv's and whats on it!(2)They are very materialistic,and openly discuss how much they earn ect (3)They care an awful lot about their houses and cars.

No different in the UK either, my family are exactly the same. It's not an Australian issue.

Oh dear, I'm now going to be consumed with worry on this subject! We can't afford private and the last thing we want is for our kids to have a bad experience in Australia... :-( Surely the schools can't just turn a blind eye, though? I read something on Kidspot about how they're meant to be pro-active in stopping it... If my kids do get bullied then I'll have to have it out with the parents myself :realmad:

Re: sunburn, yes we're very careful with her (my husband's ginger so he burns easily, too) - she's more auburn than ginger, actually - and spend half the summer slathering cream over her! Probably easier just to stay inside or in the shade, lol.

Sorry, didn't mean to worry you but if you are alert to any issues then you should be ok. Andrew Fuller is a good resource for bullyproofing your kids http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/wellbeing/4578281/How-to-bully-proof-your-child is a good summary. Schools don't take kindly to parents who "sort things out" unfortunately so if you need to take action do it right. Schools are supposed to be proactive but unfortunately many a blind eye is turned. I'd recommend getting a potential target into a martial art - not so they can fight back but because it gives them a vicarious strength to know that they could if they felt like it. Bullying is well modelled in the Aus psyche unfortunately and is especially prevalent in many workplaces.

Re: Bullying. I don't know if we've just been lucky but the 3 private high schools that our kids went to were really on the ball. All year 10 kids are given a new year 8 as a "buddy". It is their role to nurture and look after their yr 8 charges until they themselves reach year 10 when they are then elevated to the role of mentor. This system really works as the yr 10 kids feel very responsible and guard their roles with vigour and enthusiasm. No doubt there are isolated incidents of bullying but none of my kids have ever been subjected to it to the best of my knowledge......................if only for this..................private school fees are well worth it. The other thing that I really liked at one of the schools is that the teachers prefix all the kids surnames with "Mr" when addressing them..................somehow, this seems to "elevate" the kids from simply being pupils IYKWIM?. At year 11 in one of the schools, the kids also have a couple of nights working in soup kitchens and the like and it serves to remind them as to just how lucky they are and instils recognition of those less fortunate.

Re: Bullying. I don't know if we've just been lucky but the 3 private high schools that our kids went to were really on the ball. All year 10 kids are given a new year 8 as a "buddy". It is their role to nurture and look after their yr 8 charges until they themselves reach year 10 when they are then elevated to the role of mentor. This system really works as the yr 10 kids feel very responsible and guard their roles with vigour and enthusiasm. No doubt there are isolated incidents of bullying but none of my kids have ever been subjected to it to the best of my knowledge......................if only for this..................private school fees are well worth it. The other thing that I really liked at one of the schools is that the teachers prefix all the kids surnames with "Mr" when addressing them..................somehow, this seems to "elevate" the kids from simply being pupils IYKWIM?. At year 11 in one of the schools, the kids also have a couple of nights working in soup kitchens and the like and it serves to remind them as to just how lucky they are and instils recognition of those less fortunate.
Just interested in which school they are at ?

It's hard to have an outdoors lifestyle when it is over 40 degrees outside!!! We have had a lot of really hot days here in Adelaide and more predicted for the weekend. You are effectively stuck indoors with the a/c on, even getting in the car (if it isn't parked undercover) is torturous. The other day I had to go to the dentists and when I got in the car the temperature reading was 47 C degrees !!!! Swimming in the sea is OK but the sand burns your feet.

Also the grass (here in SA) isn't like UK grass, it gets really dry and it's a battle to keep it alive. It gets all scratchy in the summer, is not nice to walk on with bare feet, you have to watch out for 3 corner jacks and of course ants which are everywhere. My daughter has tried to practise her handstands/cartwheels in the garden but has given up because the grass (in our rental) is so horrible.