Can i apply for Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485)

jimmy12

Hello,

I would like to ask if i am eligible to apply the visa "Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485)".

Currently, i am on a 572 student visa which will expire in august 2014.

Some of my details are as under:

SKILLS ASSESSMENT

I have a positive skill assessment from ACS as "Developer Programmer" on 30 September 2013.

This assessment was done on the basis of my following qualifications and experience:

(i) Bachelor in Computer Science (overseas) "Note: This degree was considered as equivalent to associate degree in Australia by ACS.

(ii) Overseas Experience.

(iii) Australian Experience. (Part Time)

IELTS

A score of 6 in each component (i.e. L=6.5 R=6.5 S=6 W=6)

2 YEARS STUDY IN AUSTRALIA

I have a diploma in information technology from one of the college in Australia.

Can i apply for Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) ?

Thanks in advance,

Kind Regards,

Jimmy

Edited by jimmy12

Well here is all the info:

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/485.aspx

As long as your course was two years, it looks like you tick all the boxes.

thanks for the reply.

I was concerned about the fact that my assessment is based on (overseas qualification + Australian/overseas experience) and It is not based on the 2 years study in Australia (i.e. "Diploma of Information Technology").

However, After looking at the URL posted above, it seems that there is no such condition like that. :biggrin:

Thanks once again,

Regards,

Jimmy

Well here is all the info:

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/485.aspx

As long as your course was two years, it looks like you tick all the boxes.

thanks for the quick reply.

Actually I was concerned about the fact that my ACS assessment as "Developer Programmer" is based on:

(overseas qualification, Australian/Overseas experience)

The assessment was not based on my 2 years study in Australia (i.e. "Diploma of Information Technology").

But after looking at the information provided by the URL displayed above, it seems that there is no such condition :)

I would appreciate your comments on this.

Thanks,

Regards,

Jimmy

thanks for the reply.

I have read all the info provided in the URL displayed above.

I was concerned about the fact that the 2 years study in Australia must play its part for the assessment ?

But it seems that there is no such condition like that ?

Thanks,

Regards,

Jimmy

Ahhhh, sorry I missed that.

According to immigration before I applied for my 485 the 2 years qualification MUST be what you studied for in Australia. They came out to talk to my TAFE and we asked if someone could do another course if they couldn't pass the IELTS (to buy themselves some time) and then apply and were told no, the occupation you are applying under must have been finished in Australia no more than six months before.

Edited by blossom

Guest Ryan the wizard of oz
Hello,

I would like to ask if i am eligible to apply the visa "Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485)".

Currently, i am on a 572 student visa which will expire in august 2014.

Some of my details are as under:

SKILLS ASSESSMENT

I have a positive skill assessment from ACS as "Developer Programmer" on 30 September 2013.

This assessment was done on the basis of my following qualifications and experience:

(i) Bachelor in Computer Science (overseas) "Note: This degree was considered as equivalent to associate degree in Australia by ACS.

(ii) Overseas Experience.

(iii) Australian Experience. (Part Time)

IELTS

A score of 6 in each component (i.e. L=6.5 R=6.5 S=6 W=6)

2 YEARS STUDY IN AUSTRALIA

I have a diploma in information technology from one of the college in Australia.

Can i apply for Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) ?

Thanks in advance,

Kind Regards,

Jimmy

The Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) lets you live, study and work in Australia temporarily after you have finished your studies.

This visa has two streams:

• Graduate Work stream – for international students with an eligible qualification who graduate with skills and qualifications that relate to an occupation on the skills shortage list. A visa in this stream is granted for 18 months from the date of grant.

• Post-Study Work stream – for international students who graduate with a higher education degree from an Australian education provider, regardless of their field of study. This stream is only available to students who applied for, and were granted, their first student visa to Australia on or after 5 November 2011. A visa in this stream can be granted for up to four years from the date the visa is granted, depending on the visa applicant's qualification.

My reference point: http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/485.aspx

Do you have any goal in mind for what you would like to achieve long term in Oz? ie stay permanently, build up work experience and then go elsewhere. Your intentions for the future should dictate your choices in terms of visa applications. I hope this helped Sir.

From what you have posted, it look as if you qualify to apply for a 485, provided your course was CRICOS registered and you apply in time. Do not take this as a professional opinion, for which you should consult a registered migration agent.

The course isn't the one he did in Australia though so won't be cricos registered.

So the immigration lady was wrong when she told us you can only apply for the 485 visa within six months of the course you had finished which was for that job code (which of course, they are often wrong so not too surprising) or that the new course comes under the same job code as the already completed course and skills assessment so it is still valid?

So the immigration lady was wrong when she told us you can only apply for the 485 visa within six months of the course you had finished which was for that job code (which of course, they are often wrong so not too surprising) or that the new course comes under the same job code as the already completed course and skills assessment so it is still valid?

If a 485 application is lodged within 6 months of completing the Australian Study Requirement (see Migration Regulations 1994 - Regulation 1.15F) it should be ok. Essential requirements are the qualification must be at diploma level or higher higher and the content must be 'closely related' to the nominated occupation. On the face of it, one could expect a diploma in IT to be closely related to the nominated skilled occupation. If the OP is out of time, it might be possible to qualify by completing a further course.

From what you have posted, it look as if you qualify to apply for a 485, provided your course was CRICOS registered and you apply in time. Do not take this as a professional opinion, for which you should consult a registered migration agent.

thanks all of you,

yes my course is CRICOS registered, I will consult a registered migration agent.

Kind Regards,

Jimmy

Wrussell is a registered migration agent. I'm sure you could give him a call and get him to have a proper look at your case.

My goal is:

To get the Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485) to gain more experiece with full time working conditions.

I will take another IELTS exam to get 7 in each component.

I will do a professional year as well.

All the above three will increase my points to make me elligible for permanent resident.

Please PM me the contact details of Wrussell.

Kind Regards,

Jimmy

Wrussell is a registered migration agent. I'm sure you could give him a call and get him to have a proper look at your case.

I seldom answer the telephone and almost never if the caller ID is blocked. I have a telephone only because the OMARA insists. I take all instructions in writing and I always advise in writing.

A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on. Samuel Goldwyn

• 4 years later...

Hi Jimmy,

I was wondering, were you success to apply for Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) with your details above?

I am exactly in the same situation as you and want to find out if skills assessment I have got based on (overseas qualification/work experience + Australia work experience) is eligible for visa 485?

I also have 2 years study in Australia (Diploma of IT).

I would really appreciate your reply. Regards, Jenny

6 hours ago, Jenny2018 said:

Hi Jimmy,

I was wondering, were you success to apply for Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) with your details above?

I am exactly in the same situation as you and want to find out if skills assessment I have got based on (overseas qualification/work experience + Australia work experience) is eligible for visa 485?

I also have 2 years study in Australia (Diploma of IT).

I would really appreciate your reply. Regards, Jenny

Be mindful that you are posting in a thread which is 4 years old. Also bear in mind that the 485 Regulations have changed since 2014.