You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Sbonnett76

Renting in Melbourne with a few animals!

Hi all,

Happy New Year!

My husband and I are hoping to move to Melbourne in about 18 months time and I wanted to get advice and thoughts on how easy or difficult it will be to find a rental property that will be happy to accommodate me, my husband, our two cats and two dogs.

We will be willing to offer an additional bond and we will also be able to provide a reference from our current landlord on the UK who has been happy for us to have our furry family.

I was planning on dropping an email to a few estate agents to get their thoughts as well.

We really don't want to only have the option of unpopular houses just because of our pets. We still want to have a nice good quality property, which we would look after to an exceptionally high standard.

Anyway, any thoughts welcome!

Sarah.

Have you checked out Realestate.com and domain? I think you can search pet friendly properties on realestate.com, and on domain I think it says pet friendly on those which are.

I am a long way off yet but I've been looking from Melbourne all the way down the Mornington Peninsula and have seen plenty of pet friendly places, however you do have 4 pets so I can see why you might be a little concerned xx

Best of luck x

Travelled to Australia Holiday and WHV. Quit job to retrain at Uni as a Podiatrist 25/09/2013.

On my journey to applying for 189 in 2016 (if they've not changed again by then lol)

If you get a chance, take it. If it changes your life, let it. Nobody said that it'd be easy, they just promised it would be worth it!

Yes, we've looked on there and although the number of pet friendly houses is massively reduced, there is still a decent selection.

The thing is, it's one thing having a cat or even one dog, but two of each might be pushing our luck! We know that our animals are perfectly house trained and we are exceptionally house proud, regardless of it being a rental property, but sitting on the other side of the fence, if I had to choose between two tennants, one who are pet free and one who have two cats and two rottweilers, I know which I'd go for! :biggrin:

Its not just the renting we have restrictions on how many pets we can have. I have three cats but am allowed the three because I do not have a dog and live on an acreage property. If I were to live on a normal size block I think our council only allows two. We have to register our cats and our dogs here in Australia and cats are not supposed to be let out at night and they have to be contained to your own property. If they stray which they do we just have to hope that our neighbours are friendly as some people get the traps from the council to catch them and then they fine us. Dogs like Rottweilers would have to be muzzled when out and about.

So just check with the council web site and see what is allowed and what the restrictions on dogs and cats are.

We have a lot of wild life here that is disappearing because of introduced animals and that is why these laws have been brought in.

Pups and kittens have to be desexed before they are sold and microchipped. To have an entire dog registration fees are a lot more expensive. Same with cats.

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

Thanks Petals. Our cats are house cats so I have no concerns about them. It's the muzzling of the dogs that bothers me more. Neither have ever had to be muzzled! Is this a law enforced in certain suburbs or the whole of Victoria? We visited friends in Sydney a couple of years ago and two rotties were swimming in the dog section of the beach un-muzzled.

I can't find anything saying a rottweiler needs to be muzzled in public. If anyone has any links, could they please share? I've seen information on specific breeds such as pit bulls, but nothing on rotties.

I've seen a post recently regarding someone needing to get the neighbours permission before being able to register x amount of dogs in a rental property.

For the life of me I can't remember whereabouts they were moving to but definitely with checking out all the official guidelines.

Such a shame to hear Rotties have to be muzzled but I think it's more a reflection on some of the people that own them rather than the breed. Mine was such a softie :)

Travelled to Australia Holiday and WHV. Quit job to retrain at Uni as a Podiatrist 25/09/2013.

On my journey to applying for 189 in 2016 (if they've not changed again by then lol)

If you get a chance, take it. If it changes your life, let it. Nobody said that it'd be easy, they just promised it would be worth it!

Our two are softies as well! Our boy (who weighs 8 stone) is going to start going through the process if becoming a PAT (pets as therapy) dog where we'll go into hospitals, hospices and homes meeting patients and residents and giving them some pleasure by relaxing with a dog. There's not much scary about that big bear!

Hi all,

Happy New Year!

My husband and I are hoping to move to Melbourne in about 18 months time and I wanted to get advice and thoughts on how easy or difficult it will be to find a rental property that will be happy to accommodate me, my husband, our two cats and two dogs.

We will be willing to offer an additional bond and we will also be able to provide a reference from our current landlord on the UK who has been happy for us to have our furry family.

I was planning on dropping an email to a few estate agents to get their thoughts as well.

We really don't want to only have the option of unpopular houses just because of our pets. We still want to have a nice good quality property, which we would look after to an exceptionally high standard.

Anyway, any thoughts welcome!

Sarah.

Probably the easiest would be to look at properties further out with a larger block - obviously need room for the four legged family. Not all rentals that are pet friendly say pet friendly on the advert so just a matter of asking at the open for inspection or when you see the property advertised. The landlord has the option to say yes or no but the way I see it if you are someone who wouldnt take care of a property having animals wont make any difference and in some cases makes you a better tenant as you want things to be safe for your pets. Council have restrictions on the number of pets you can have some do the 3 cat 2 dog thing or 2 cat 3 dog etc - it makes no sense really as in my area the neighbouring council allows 3 cats 2 dogs and my council 3 dogs 2 cats. They will usually require a pet bond for the property. When you check out areas see if there are already heaps of pets around makes it more difficult to say no. Already cats in area, already dogs barking, being taking for walks etc etc.

Never heard of muzzling of rotweilers - may be a local council rule so check with various councils to see what they say, which will also help you pick an area.

http://www.depi.vic.gov.au/

Have a look at this web site, it may well be that where you live they may not need it but these days most people with larger dogs seem to have them muzzled with one of those light muzzle straps. I think this is because of the laws of rushing and chasing etc.

When I first moved to Melbourne I used to see dogs out and about alone all the time, now I never see a dog out and about, its because of the strict laws we have now. Not to say we do not have dog attacks we do and unfortunately there are always those who keep dangerous dogs despite the laws.

I have a Rotty next door and she is wonderful however she does frighten people on the street by her sheer size.

Little fluffy dogs are the go these days and I guess the laws have something to do with it.

Each council may have different laws about pets so you just need to check.

Most people do have dogs but we are used to the restrictions.

We do have leash free areas but we have to check where they are before letting our dogs off.

They are not allowed on the beaches after 9 am in summer until the sun goes down. Before 9 am or after dark they can be on the beach but they have to be on a lead.

Have to check with each beach. We cannot take dogs into shops, pubs or public buildings like they do in Uk unless they are guide dogs.

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink: