weighing it up- any regrets from those who've returned?

Polly68

??? how strange you thought that, must be where you lived,

Yes, of course, and I wish people would think about that and be more specific when they post! Australia is a huge country and the differences in weather from city to city are very marked. I think everyone knows Melbourne's weather is more changeable than anywhere else on the mainland, and you're comparing it with London, which gets warmer weather than anywhere to the north - which is most of the UK! So your comparison is valid for those two cities, but Rrwelsh's comparison is probably just as valid for where she is.

Plus you have to allow for individual preferences. As I get older, I tolerate hot weather less and less - so although I love looking at blue sky, I'm less able to enjoy it. I wish I had enough money to spend winter in Sydney and summer somewhere else!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think last summer in the UK was as good as I have ever known it. We had a great week in the Lake District in July. Hot and sunny every day, sat out in pub gardens every night till 11pm. Swam in lakes (water bloody cold mind!).

Got out and about more this winter than any other, it's been more like autumn really. Very wet and a lot of flooding and mud in this area so many places have been off limits round here but still........I normally seem to suffer with SAD but not this winter.

I love the UK and don't believe you have to hate anything about it to want to live somewhere else. You only get one life and I have itchy feet and an urge to experience life elsewhere for good or ill.

My sentiments too,good luck

Yup, there are far fewer days here in UK that I can't do what I want because of the weather! It's much better here for doing things outside for me. Must admit to being somewhat bemused by the constant references to grey skies and tipping it down every day. Sure, we have the odd grey day but more often than not we start out with fabulous clear mornings or end up with fabulous sunny afternoons - it seems that one grey day is automatically interpreted by many as being a grey week/month (my mum certainly does that!). I will hate the 30+ days if and when I do get dragged back. My husband sent me a pic from our neighbourhood today and it looks dry and burnt - desiccated and dusty. Give me lush green any day and variety in weather.

Remember there's an awful lot of the UK to the north of you. I remember when I first moved down to London, being amazed at the beautiful weather. My memories of living in London and Bristol all have blue skies (even though I know it wasn't all like that!). Whereas my memories of living in various places in Scotland are generally grey and drizzly!

Just out of interest,i researched all this before choosing a state to move to,and it does no harm,"but" it doesn't state that it can be a biblical downpour for 5 minutes,then totally dry up in minutes,stats ,and looking into things is a minefield sometimes i reckon

You're right. Sydney gets more rainfall than Melbourne, but Melbourne gets drizzle more often, whereas in Sydney if it rains, it rains. So it rains more heavily but far less often.

The first time I saw a Sydney downpour, I thought it was a monsoon!

I didn't realise it was 10 days - if so that has made my day! I was told by our pet transporters when we left just over a year ago that it would be difficult as the Rabbies status of the UK had changed. Well at least there is hope I'll need to look into it. Unfortunately my hubby wants to be close to his dad still and with being pregnant I'm still stuck in a place I don't want to be. But there is hope for the future hopefully!

As for Melbourne I love the place it's fab but the weather is too up and down for my liking - all the seasons in one day. I have friends there that find it very difficult. We stayed in Newcastle and had a lovely climate - beautiful blue skies in the winter - yes of course there were many days/weeks when it rained and it was overcast but they certainly were never endless like they are here and you certainly didn't have to put layers of thermals and fleeces on like I have to here! I didn't even own a winter jacket there! I live in Scotland and it's freezing and it's raining and windy. My poor dogs don't even want to go out! Give me warm rain and wind any day! Sorry there is no comparison there for me! As for the hot days in OZ I agree they are disgusting but as long as you have air con they are bareable. We were very lucky to have that but I know many are not. I agree it is a personal decision at the end of the day - unfortunately in my instance the decision is out of my hands! Hopefully we will get back to OZ one day! Good luck to you all x

We moved back to UK 15 months ago and it was the worst thing I have ever done! What a depressing place the UK is - the weather is just AWFUL! So so depressing - day after day of rain and wind - life has gone from a healthy outdoors life to one where you are inside most of the year! Ever day is a chore - I think your nuts to want to come back here! We moved back as one of our parents was not in the best of health but I now feel like we have sacrificed our own happiness because of it and the sick parent is still plodding on and will probably live till they are 100! Please please think carefully. I disagree with going back to UK for a holiday to see what you think first before making your mind up - it's very different a 2/3 week holiday to actually living here day in day out!

15 months ago and you have already forgot the fantastic 7 months of summer, methinks you have an agenda sunshine....:wink:

Edited by Perthbum

Yes, of course, and I wish people would think about that and be more specific when they post! Australia is a huge country and the differences in weather from city to city are very marked. I think everyone knows Melbourne's weather is more changeable than anywhere else on the mainland, and you're comparing it with London, which gets warmer weather than anywhere to the north - which is most of the UK! So your comparison is valid for those two cities, but Rrwelsh's comparison is probably just as valid for where she is.

Plus you have to allow for individual preferences. As I get older, I tolerate hot weather less and less - so although I love looking at blue sky, I'm less able to enjoy it. I wish I had enough money to spend winter in Sydney and summer somewhere else!

Yes, your right, I should have qualified my reply better. Also getting older so like extreme heat less and now have a job where I have to work in it (driving a bus, aircon works only part time) so no fan of hot days any more.

Perthbum - not sure what you mean to either - where I live in Scotland we never had 7 months of summer!?!? And what agenda do you possibly think I would have!?!? Weird!

I too returned to scotland and concur that we never get 7 months of summer here. It's miserable

Perthbum - not sure what you mean to either - where I live in Scotland we never had 7 months of summer!?!? And what agenda do you possibly think I would have!?!? Weird!

It's easy to write the 'uk' or 'oz' but things vary in both, so maybe be more specific.eg..Scotland the weather was awful, I think by saying the UK you refer to crap weather in the whole of the UK, which as you know now it was lovely in some parts of the UK.

somebody said above, be more specific I think it's just that.

i think though Scotland is pretty miserable weather wise so you can't be surprised by that.

Edited by Wellers and Whitehead

I think in general, it is sweeping statements that draw the sharpest responses, irrespective of where they are posted on PIO. But in MBTTUK in particular, views about lifestyle and the weather are regularly challenged because they tend to be personal and not fact. People unhappy with living in the UK may well see it as a ‘depressing place - the weather is just awful’ whereas others will accept the climate for what it is, and get on with living a life that is full and happy for all sorts of reasons. And even a small island like the UK has a wide variety of lifestyles and weather systems. A two hour drive in almost any direction can make a huge difference.

Personally I don’t recognise the depressing dreary place that some posters write about, but that’s the point – it’s personal. Tx

Edited by tea4too

I think in general, it is sweeping statements that draw the sharpest responses, irrespective of where they are posted on PIO. But in MBTTUK in particular, views about lifestyle and the weather are regularly challenged because they tend to be personal and not fact. People unhappy with living in the UK may well see it as a ‘depressing place - the weather is just awful’ whereas others will accept the climate for what it is, and get on with living a life that is full and happy for all sorts of reasons. And even a small island like the UK has a wide variety of lifestyles and weather systems. A two hour drive in almost any direction can make a huge difference.

Personally I don’t recognise the depressing dreary place that some posters write about, but that’s the point – it’s personal.Tx

Yes and if perthbum and others had bothered to read my other posts he would read that I live in Scotland! For him to say that I have an agenda - what?!?

We are allowed our own opinion and although I agree that the UK is different in many parts I have many friends and family who live in different parts of England have visited on many occasions - I still think the UK is a depressing place and so do they! It's like you said a lot of people just accept the climate and get on with it - I agree but most of them are probably not lucky enough to experience a life (not a holiday) outside of the 'UK' so don't know any different. Before I left for OZ I thought I was content and didn't really want to leave but now coming back I see it in a whole different light (or should I say lack of light in winter FACT - depressing again!)

I MUST end my message by saying that these are all my own personal opinions and many people that I know.

It's easy to write the 'uk' or 'oz' but things vary in both, so maybe be more specific.eg..Scotland the weather was awful, I think by saying the UK you refer to crap weather in the whole of the UK, which as you know now it was lovely in some parts of the UK.

somebody said above, be more specific I think it's just that.

i think though Scotland is pretty miserable weather wise so you can't be surprised by that.

I am sorry I have not been more specific and I have stated now that I live in Scotland but there are some people here that think the weather is fine too! Again they are just use to it! I have friends and family in different parts of England and I watch the weather and although I agree you get much nicer weather it's still depressing in my opinion! Lack of daylight for one in the winter is a killer for most!

Guest guest30085
I am sorry I have not been more specific and I have stated now that I live in Scotland but there are some people here that think the weather is fine too! Again they are just use to it! I have friends and family in different parts of England and I watch the weather and although I agree you get much nicer weather it's still depressing in my opinion! Lack of daylight for one in the winter is a killer for most!

Try not to worry rwelsh, we see plenty of posters get a bashing due to one phrase, from where I'm sat then yes the weather is continuously cr*p in the UK (that's my part of the UK) but for some reason people jump down your throat for not explicitly saying in my opinion' or 'in my area'. keep posting and asking questions etc but it's part and parcel of these kind of forums, don't take it to heart x

Guest Guest 47403

I wouldn't be too bothered by what he says, he has one of the biggest agendas on here, there has not been a 7 month summer in any part of the UK and I don't think you'll find another person on here who agrees that there has.

Yes and if perthbum and others had bothered to read my other posts he would read that I live in Scotland! For him to say that I have an agenda - what?!?

We are allowed our own opinion and although I agree that the UK is different in many parts I have many friends and family who live in different parts of England have visited on many occasions - I still think the UK is a depressing place and so do they! It's like you said a lot of people just accept the climate and get on with it - I agree but most of them are probably not lucky enough to experience a life (not a holiday) outside of the 'UK' so don't know any different. Before I left for OZ I thought I was content and didn't really want to leave but now coming back I see it in a whole different light (or should I say lack of light in winter FACT - depressing again!)

I MUST end my message by saying that these are all my own personal opinions and many people that I know.

I’m not looking to explain PB’s post as such, that’s a matter for him. And I absolutely agree that everyone is entitled to an opinion, it’s just that sometimes opinions can come across as facts. Most of the time it is probably no big deal, but in some threads or parts of the forum it can be relevant. MBTTUK is one of them I think. Some people may find life depressing in the UK and the weather awful, but that doesn’t mean it is, or will be, for everyone returning.

Fwiw I genuinely have no issue with how you feel as we all see life differently. But you posted “What a depressing place the UK is - the weather is just AWFUL! So so depressing - day after day of rain and wind” and that sort of generalisation is likely to be questioned by people who don’t share that experience or view, and especially when posted in MBTTUK.

Anyway, apologies to the OP for side tracking a bit, and Ill bow out now as I don't think I can add to the thread. Tx

quote.

UK is - the weather is just AWFUL! So so depressing - day after day of rain and wind - life has gone from a healthy outdoors life to one where you are inside most of the year!

Nothing like that in England, it was a beautiful long warm summer.

come on, the weather IS awful, even here in belgium at the moment. Surely one can't like the 2° grey drizzling days we are having at the moment, and winter hasn't even arrived :shocked:....

winter is almost over....10 weeks and back to the glorious summer we had last year...:cute:

quote.

UK is - the weather is just AWFUL! So so depressing - day after day of rain and wind - life has gone from a healthy outdoors life to one where you are inside most of the year!

Nothing like that in England, it was a beautiful long warm summer.

Hahaha there you go again. Long, warm, summer, and England don't go together in the same sentence.

OP my regret about coming back is the weather, but there are other things that out weigh that.

Guest guest30085
winter is almost over....10 weeks and back to the glorious summer we had last year...:cute:

Which country do you actually live in PB, as it can't be the UK, as I haven't ever heard anyone else mention the same long glorious summer which lasted for months - even my friend who lives down the road from you, if you are in Stratford :wideeyed::wink:

Which country do you actually live in PB, as it can't be the UK, as I haven't ever heard anyone else mention the same long glorious summer which lasted for months - even my friend who lives down the road from you, if you are in Stratford :wideeyed::wink:

Oh come on, give the guy a break.......it's what gets him through the mild winters every year, you know, looking forward to the glorious summers ;)

Guest guest30085
Oh come on, give the guy a break.......it's what gets him through the mild winters every year, you know, looking forward to the glorious summers ;)

But, but ..it's the most fun thing to do on PIO.

no chance mate, still got the snow to come and the -5° to -10° nights.... lets see if we even get snow on easter like we did last year :wink:

glorious summer, you must be in OZ and not the UK :laugh: