Salma

Northern Beaches

Been in Manly now for 2 months and yes it is very differnet from Lakemba in many ways but similar in one way.......the number of people who are born overseas......only difference is the ones here look like your average aussie. So why is it ok for Brits to live in the same location but when others less well off are accused of creating ghettos. This has been my observation and have no intention of offending anyone.

Guest Guest66881

Poor 'ghettos' or rich 'ghettos' a ghetto is a ghetto? i don't get your observation or the point.

Poor 'ghettos' or rich 'ghettos' a ghetto is a ghetto? i don't get your observation or the point.

Apparently, brits don't like the term 'ghetto' applied to them, yet use the word freely when other races live in enclaves.

Just an observance.

Cheers, Bobj.

Not quite sure what you mean- I guess people settle where they feel comfortable and might know people. There are many Chinese areas in Melbourne with great social clubs and a lot of community activities for example- don't see this as a negative, it is lovely to go to their shops and parades.

Guest Guest66881

I don't know of any 'slums' around Perth to be honest, ok some areas are older and a little tired compared to others but to use the term 'ghetto' is weird.

Been in Manly now for 2 months and yes it is very differnet from Lakemba in many ways but similar in one way.......the number of people who are born overseas......only difference is the ones here look like your average aussie. So why is it ok for Brits to live in the same location but when others less well off are accused of creating ghettos. This has been my observation and have no intention of offending anyone.

Salma I totally agree with you. The Brits have taken over Berwick and Point Cook.

ps how are you doing, missed you around

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

I don't know of any 'slums' around Perth to be honest, ok some areas are older and a little tired compared to others but to use the term 'ghetto' is weird.

Maybe its a northern phrase in the UK but I know Bradford would always be called a ghetto when people from a different colour moved in, nothing to do with the quality of the housing etc, yet I've seen these people do exactly the same here, move to an area where all other poms are

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Yes just using it as a phrase......or should I use the upmarket word "enclave"! I just find the double standards annoy me. I am doing well living the "aussie dream" lol sun n sea n surf!

All is good just annoying how over subcribed childcare is and without that I cannot look for a job.