Connecting flights

travelchic

I know you'll think this is a stupid question but I'm gonna ask anyway. When you get off your first flight, is your luggage automatically transferred to your second flight or do you have to claim your luggage and check it in again yourself. I've never caught a connecting flight before.

Debs

It all depends - if you've booked separate flights or you have a longish stop over then yes you might have to collect luggage but 99 times out of 100 they will check your bags through to your first Aus destination. Then you will have to pick them up to clear customs and can then deposit with any onward airline. If you are travelling out of Aus via another airport without a long stop over and all on the same booking, your bags will be checked through to your final destination.

As Quoll has said, it will depend on your airline(s) and the connections. I always double-check when I check-in to see whether I need to collect luggage during transit. Some airlines/connections will tag your luggage all the way through to your final destination, but some require you to pick it up to clear it separately through customs. It can be a pain in the neck, but not much you can do about it.

Is it the same airline all the way through? Or 2 code sharing? If so chances are you won't have to worry till you land in Aus at international arrivals. If continuing on on a domestic you'll need to re check it.

If it's different international airlines not code sharing you may well need to claim it and recheck at the stopover.

When you stop over half way in Asia/where ever it'll be taken to your next flight to Australia. The only time it won't be is if you land in Australia and then fly somewhere else in aus, we landed in Brisbane and then had another flight to Cairns and had to collect our luggage at Brisbane and check in again. Hope that makes sense :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

If you are on the same ticket with a stopover of less than 24 hours, connecting from one international flight to another international flight - or from a domestic flight to an international flight - your luggage will be checked through. If you arrive in Australia on an international flight and are transferring to a domestic flight you will need to collect luggage at your port of entry to take it through customs and then re-check it at the special transfer desk.

There is the odd exception - e.g. Air Asia will be reluctant to check luggage through if your transit in Kuala Lumpur is more than 6 hours - or if travelling through USA using two different flight numbers, but you would not be left in any doubt about this.

If you are on the same ticket with a stopover of less than 24 hours

There is the odd exception - e.g. Air Asia will be reluctant to check luggage through if your transit in Kuala Lumpur is more than 6 hours - or if travelling through USA using two different flight numbers, but you would not be left in any doubt about this.

I think Thai Airways has a 12 hour limit at BKK.

The USA is an odd one out (seems like South Africa is too), all international flights 1st port of call you have to collect your bags even if they are already tagged through to your final destination, it's just one of their security things, there is a special re-deposit area so its not like checking in again, buts its a pain in the ass if you have a short timeline for your connecting flight.

Just something to be aware of when travelling via USA, also you will need to obtain your ESTA, if you are holidaying there, it's the new visa waiver thing, used to be free but now you pay.

The USA is an odd one out (seems like South Africa is too), all international flights 1st port of call you have to collect your bags even if they are already tagged through to your final destination, it's just one of their security things, there is a special re-deposit area so its not like checking in again, buts its a pain in the ass if you have a short timeline for your connecting flight.

Just something to be aware of when travelling via USA, also you will need to obtain your ESTA, if you are holidaying there, it's the new visa waiver thing, used to be free but now you pay.

We flew from Orlando to Brisbane via Dallas and our bags went all the way through no problems ?