BenAtherton1

Hi all,

The wife and I are moving out to Perth and it's surrounding areas in March on a permanent residency 190 visa which I have secured through my original trade as a bricklayer.

Need to decide whether or not take my tools, gear and equipment. From what I understand, the majority of work available for newcomer brit brickie s is new build residential sites, and as such I'm thinking the only real requirement for tools should I end up working in this environment is basic hand tools, levels, profiles etc (no power tools or other building equipment).

I do have a good amount of my own gear which I have accumulated whilst working for myself in UK over the last several years as bricklayer / general builder. But am beginning to question whether it's worth the hassle/expense of shipping it over, or simply selling it before I go.

Can anyone else see the point of me bringing power tools and equipment such as stihlsaw, breakers and generators all that way, when the chances are ill most likely be working back on new builds using only my own basic hand tools, where all other equipment and plant should be supplied by employer? Or is it looked on favourably by potential employers if I already had the gear?

As always, all your posts/thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Cheers and and all the best for 2014.

Hi all,

The wife and I are moving out to Perth and it's surrounding areas in March on a permanent residency 190 visa which I have secured through my original trade as a bricklayer.

Need to decide whether or not take my tools, gear and equipment. From what I understand, the majority of work available for newcomer brit brickie s is new build residential sites, and as such I'm thinking the only real requirement for tools should I end up working in this environment is basic hand tools, levels, profiles etc (no power tools or other building equipment).

I do have a good amount of my own gear which I have accumulated whilst working for myself in UK over the last several years as bricklayer / general builder. But am beginning to question whether it's worth the hassle/expense of shipping it over, or simply selling it before I go.

Can anyone else see the point of me bringing power tools and equipment such as stihlsaw, breakers and generators all that way, when the chances are ill most likely be working back on new builds using only my own basic hand tools, where all other equipment and plant should be supplied by employer? Or is it looked on favourably by potential employers if I already had the gear?

Tools are very expensive in Perth.... I got here 6 weeks ago and could not believe how much they cost.... I would say to anyone coming over if you are shipping goods take everything and all tools you can fit in.... You can easily fit OZ plugs to power tools when you get them here....

My OH brought his hand tools in his suitcase, the sthilsaw came I the container, still sat in the garage, not been used yet. He sold everything else back in the UK. So far although he is self employed, who ever takes you on provides everything, profiles etc. Thats all they use here, profile mad. My OH has not had to buy anything. However, as and when/if you go it alone, well yes then you would need your own mixer, profiles etc.

That's only my OH's experience and of course others may have had different experiences. Hope this helps.

Hi all,

Tools are expensive here, we're in Adelaide but we know people in Perth.

Bring everything you can, then you don't, or won't need to replace it.

If you don't need it when you get here then sell it here.

Just make sure EVERYTHING is REALLY clean before it is packed, I cleaned everything with a high temperature steam cleaner and coated it in Jeyes fluid so it looked and smelled like it had been sterilised.

The smell of Jeyes fluid disappears after a while and we had nothing that required "customs cleaning" which can be very expensive.

Cheers and good luck

Getting hand tools free of rust oil and grease. How are you supposed to do that. I'm planning on taking all my tools. Etc. Sockets engineering tools drills taps dies squares etc hand tools and some power tools. Probably going to split them all up between the family's baggage on the flight. Are they going to make me open all our bags and confiscate all tools that have some rust spots,grease on them?

Rob

Getting hand tools free of rust oil and grease. How are you supposed to do that. I'm planning on taking all my tools. Etc. Sockets engineering tools drills taps dies squares etc hand tools and some power tools. Probably going to split them all up between the family's baggage on the flight. Are they going to make me open all our bags and confiscate all tools that have some rust spots,grease on them?

Rob

you are supposed to do that with a wire brush, steel wool, Jayes fluid, WD40 or 3 in 1 oil and plenty of elbow grease. We've all had to do it, if you put the effort in then it saves a fine, a bill and the possibility of confiscation.

its just one of those hoops you have to jump through.

Rob

It's a time consuming job, yes, but well worth the effort.

I used a wire cup brush on a grinder and held it with a bench vice and cleaned all the rusty tools, then sparyed with WD40.

Everything else was cleaned with steam and coated in Jeyes fluid with a garden pressure sprayer.

If you put the effort in up front you won't get cleaning charges, fines or lose your tools.

Good luck

I don't know about the generator and anything else really big unless you have a container it can go in I wouldn't bother. All the other tools I would bring, like the other guys said you never know what opportunities for self employment might come up, specially if you are good and used to running your own sites and other subbies.