and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest planky

sponsorship

Guest planky

Hi all,

Anyone know the pros and cons of being sponsored....my heads in a turmoil with whats the best way to go!

Do we go for sponsor or go straight for 175visa? Does it actually make a difference?

Hubby wants me to go for sponsorship as we get there quicker!!

For all who don't know me I am a nurse, OH in IT.

Help!!!!!!

Guest billy braveheart

dont know the rate of pay a nurse is on going on a 457sponsored visa.

yes you get here quicker but you are tied to your employer for 2 years if you dont have a positive skills assessment and can go for pr visa straight away so if things dont work out you leave and you have 28 days to get another sponsor or leave the country,Wage wise (in the construction trade) you are paid less than other tradies doing the same job,you also dont get full medicare cover and if you purchase a house you dont get the $7000 first time buyers grant,You require FIRB approval and you pay stamp duty no matter the cost of the property(pr does not pay stamp duty on property up to the value of$500,000)Personally if it were me id hang in and wait on the skilled visa as you have better options

billy

Guest Mrs Braveheart

Hi Alison

Personally I would wait for 175 visa. I no 457 is quicker but consider this we have just applied for perm visa at a cost of $9,000 & then the wait again :arghh:. Your don't get first timer buyers grant of $7,000 & if coming to Perth would need to pay stamp duty if you decide to buy before you get PR. For us 457 sponsor was our only way to get here so wasnt a option for us. And as you no if sponsor doesn't work out you have 28 days to get a new sponsor or leave the country. Its a hard choice hun only you can decide. Not much help I no but hey :no:

Janette

x

Guest Mrs Braveheart

:biglaugh: U reading my mind Billy :biglaugh:

Guest billy braveheart

snap are you following me lol

hi guys,

hijacking a little here sorry! what about state sponsorship? that seems ok, its perm res straight away and shorter times than the 175? i know your tied for two years but its to the state as opposed to the job. anyone advice on this idea? thanx kelly:wubclub:

LIVE.....LAUGH....... DREAM.........LOVE

Guest Mrs Braveheart

Hi Kelly

I dont have a clue about state sponsorship. But hopefully someone will be along to answer the question for you.

Janette

we had state sponsorship and the visa came through 8 weeks after being here on a 457 wish we'd have waited. the permanent visa started out in march and we had it by November.

Vetassess sent; 03-03-2007;Positive Result; 29-03-2007

134 visa application sent; 18-05-2007, arrived 23-05-2007

ACKNOWLEGED: 20-08-2007;final meds done 04-09-2007

WA STNI sponsorship approved: 20-09-2007;CO 4-10-2007

VAC taken; 25-10-2007, Pre grant letter 02-11-2007

VISA GRANTED 22-11-2007

457 submitted online; 29-06-2007

Case officer for 457: 02-07-2007

Medicals & x-rays done ;03-07-2007, arrived 11-05-2007,

finalized 09-08-2007 : GOT THE VISA 09-08-2007

Guest planky

I take in all that is said but surely there must be some good stories and some good outcomes of people going on sponsored visas.

Any out there?

i agree someone anyone please give us a good story????

Guest GoodersGang
I take in all that is said but surely there must be some good stories and some good outcomes of people going on sponsored visas.

Any out there?

I am going on a 457 sponnsored visa. I am in construction and have a very good deal from my new employer in OZ. Go for it whats the point of hanging around?? :smile:

we very happy with our stat sponsorship, we only have to fill out paperwork every 6 months for 2 years, and stay in this area for the 2 years also.. The visa only took from beginning to end including skills assessment march to november. the visa was sent in may. had to wait to get file number to give to sponsorship to send back to adelaide with their paperwork which bought us to August. All in all it was very quick as we weren't expecting to come till probably now and we've been here 6 months now

Vetassess sent; 03-03-2007;Positive Result; 29-03-2007

134 visa application sent; 18-05-2007, arrived 23-05-2007

ACKNOWLEGED: 20-08-2007;final meds done 04-09-2007

WA STNI sponsorship approved: 20-09-2007;CO 4-10-2007

VAC taken; 25-10-2007, Pre grant letter 02-11-2007

VISA GRANTED 22-11-2007

457 submitted online; 29-06-2007

Case officer for 457: 02-07-2007

Medicals & x-rays done ;03-07-2007, arrived 11-05-2007,

finalized 09-08-2007 : GOT THE VISA 09-08-2007

Guest Gollywobbler

Any out there?

Hi Alison

I am 100% behind Janette and Billy Braveheart on this question. They have had much better reason than most to look in to all the pros & cons with great care. They did not have a choice, but you do.

If I were in your shoes, I would follow Billy's advice, especially since a nurse can easily find work in Australia.

So what if it takes a year longer? That is nothing out of the rest of your lives, I suggest.

Why do you want to sell your house into a very bearish, nervous market? The Govt has to have a General Election either this year or in 2009, I believe. They will want the huosing market to look and feel happier than it does just at the moment.

In your shoes, I would take a longer-term view and go for PR from the outset, and not sell your house until the market improves.

I think this is particularly so for you because it would also give Glen more time to work towards completing his chef qualifications in the meantime.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Clare Pickersgill
i agree someone anyone please give us a good story????

My OH has been offered a very good deal with his employer in fact they have offered him considerably more money and perks than he asked for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are about to apply for a 457 as we feel the opportunity is too good to turn down, I need to get my daughter over for year 11 in Jan so cant wait for PR. we will apply once settled in OZand if we hate it at least we have not spent a lot of money and time.

Everyone has a different story and different reasons for wot they r doing but we all want to get there somehow! Look into all ways and see wot happens sometimes the decisions are made for u!!!!!!!!

Good luck

Clare P x

Guest Clare Pickersgill
I am going on a 457 sponnsored visa. I am in construction and have a very good deal from my new employer in OZ. Go for it whats the point of hanging around?? :smile:

Our sentiments as well!!!!!!!!

Hope to be out there very soon!

Clare P x

Guest diesellisle

Morning Alison,

We are not sponsored as such, but OH has a job offer from a hospital in Perth (he is a nurse too) and is applying for the visa under the Employer Nomination Scheme. The outcome for this will be permanent residency also. I think with the 457, there are some limitations on the benefits afforded to you in respect of education and healthcare, so just go in with your eyes open and fully informed. It will certainly get you there quicker than the skilled visa, however you are obviously tied to your sponsor for a certain period unless you can find another one.

Everyone's circumstances are different, so you just have to make the decision that is going to be right for you :)

Take care and good luck,

Lisa

we are the same claire. thats why i think we will need to get sponsorship because of my sons age and exams etc to get there that bit quicker, i think providing you get a good job offer to begin you should be fine