Help! Ahpra registration as an occupational therapist.

nikkibikki

Hi all,

I've read through the thread and appreciate all the advice given over the years.

It seems like scoring employment for limited registration now is still a huge hurdle in Australia. I'm currently based in Adelaide and have been trying to apply for work but it seems like every company requires FULL registration. 

Wondering how did any of you explain or convince the employer re: eligibility for AHPRA. Would appreciate any tips and advice! 

I rang and spoke to the managers directly and explained the situation and my experience to get an idea of what they thought. I was fed up of applying for jobs and not hearing back.

If they’re looking for someone with your experience they are more likely to give you a chance 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Vic2014 said:

I rang and spoke to the managers directly and explained the situation and my experience to get an idea of what they thought. I was fed up of applying for jobs and not hearing back.

If they’re looking for someone with your experience they are more likely to give you a chance 🙂 

Thanks Vic2014! I believe your persistence paid off. Glad you managed to find someone who gave you a chance. I'm going to summon the courage and give them a call. 

• 4 months later...

Not sure if there are  OTs who have recently moved and looking for work but aren't AHPRA registered yet - Found this ad on Seek - they are looking for OTs and are willing to provide sponsorship so if you are already in Australia without registration they should be able to take you on as well. 

https://www.seek.com.au/job/50192584?type=standout#searchRequestToken=40c22134-5bf1-4cf7-8d51-01881b026e7e

• 1 year later...

If it’s still the same you need to apply to the OT board for a skills assessment with transcripts from Uni. They say yes or no. If it’s a yes you then apply for jobs with someone willing to offer six months full time supervised practice. You then apply to AHPRA for limited reg. When you have received that you can work but you and your supervisor must complete regular documentation as to how you are travelling. Once completed you submit more paperwork to AHPRA to get your unlimited reg. If your are unfortunate like me, you are then audited the following year despite selling your soul the year before. 🤪

1 hour ago, nikkibikki said:

If it’s still the same you need to apply to the OT board for a skills assessment with transcripts from Uni. They say yes or no. If it’s a yes you then apply for jobs with someone willing to offer six months full time supervised practice. You then apply to AHPRA for limited reg. When you have received that you can work but you and your supervisor must complete regular documentation as to how you are travelling. Once completed you submit more paperwork to AHPRA to get your unlimited reg. If your are unfortunate like me, you are then audited the following year despite selling your soul the year before. 🤪

Hi Nikki,

Thats great thanks! I have a positive skills assessment (stage 1) and permanent job offer in Oz..so I think next step is limited reg with ahpra which I will do once my visa is through.  Thanks for clarifying the process. Can't believe you got audited the following year , what a nightmare..don't jinx me lol 😆