Help! Ahpra registration as an occupational therapist.

nikkibikki

Hi becky,

I am also making the move to Melbourne January, stage one all done, just need to start stage two once get an employer... would be good to see how both get on?

Are you iver from from the U.K.?

Thanks,

Ellen

Hey Ellen, yeah I'm from Southampton... you?

lets keep in touch

becky

Edited by MaggieMay24
Email removed

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi All

Im an OT from the Uk i have had problems finding someone who will take me on so that i can complete my practice audit ...i have got limited registration ..have called so many different departments with no luck!  I feel so frustrated as i seem to go round in a circle .. can anyone help?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 24/05/2016 at 21:50, misstatt said:

I've just finished my supervised practice, so there is hope! I managed to get the job ok, it was a case of knowing the process in and out and just applying for everything I could whilst infoming potential employers of what was involved. Only 5% were interested in going further but I did have a choice of three to go for. In the end I had to narrow it down to which was the best area for us all as we had to find schools too. It was tricky and stressful, and I had to work more hours than I wanted to around school drop offs and pick ups. The initial registration paperwork was ridiculous and it took ages to get the limited reg so that I could actually start, but once up and running it was pretty straight forward. It was made more difficult however because of the workplace culture, I witnessed some bullying and had to speak up, this in turn affected how I was treated by others in the team, fortunately my manager was supportive throughout. It was a very uncomfortable working environment and if I could have, I'd just have left and got another job or done some locum work, but knew I would have been back at square one an just had to get through it. Anyway it's all done now, I survived! Don't give up, it is possible.

Hi would you mind sharing your email so we can talk privitley? jones101010@outlook.com

On 29/09/2016 at 11:40, Joanne Donnelly said:

Hey.. just to throw it out there.. my company are interviewing for an OT in Occ rehab / injury management in Coffs Harbour and I do also believe that they will have more openings in other locations.. please PM me details of interest for this and I will provide more details and can refer you through me. I have only started and only in my second week and its definitely been very challenging but they have been supportive and helpful, they appear to want to really provide good company training and being dedicated to getting you fully trained. Be prepared for a massive change in direction for your career but its an exciting new opportunity. :)

Hi are these positions still ongoing? :-) I am an OT from the UK looking to relocate in oz :-)

On ‎24‎/‎07‎/‎2014 at 02:25, fortytwo said:

We have now arrived in Oz and my wife has started looking for work.

She had a slightly bizarre call with a recruiter who told her you can register in NZBOT and then apply for registration with APHRA without having to do a desktop audit.

Anyone heard of this or got any experience?

Hi was tis the case? where is your wife working now does she want to supervise me :-p

On ‎28‎/‎08‎/‎2014 at 16:17, Bosco said:

Hi all,

Just wondering how you are all getting on and if anybody has managed to find a job! I've written to the OTC to feedback about the difficulties experienced in the hope that they can do something to help...fingers crossed!

Hi did you find a supervisor after?

On ‎03‎/‎10‎/‎2014 at 07:36, misstatt said:

Hi nikkibikki, the whole process is very costly as like you say you've dropped grades, plus loss of earning whilst struggling to get a job for months. It does seem to take months to get a job if at all. Where are you based janelleley? I also emailed OTC and had a reply from Julia Fenton who told me to read all the info carefully!! I had asked a specific question but didn't get a clear answer, gave up in the end. I arrive on New Year's eve so have all of this to look forward to. BTW my partner is a midwife and last month ahpra announced that UK midwives will need to have 12 months of full time supervised practice, so we'll see how that affects their employability.

Hi did you get things sorted after?

On ‎24‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 21:50, misstatt said:

I've just finished my supervised practice, so there is hope! I managed to get the job ok, it was a case of knowing the process in and out and just applying for everything I could whilst infoming potential employers of what was involved. Only 5% were interested in going further but I did have a choice of three to go for. In the end I had to narrow it down to which was the best area for us all as we had to find schools too. It was tricky and stressful, and I had to work more hours than I wanted to around school drop offs and pick ups. The initial registration paperwork was ridiculous and it took ages to get the limited reg so that I could actually start, but once up and running it was pretty straight forward. It was made more difficult however because of the workplace culture, I witnessed some bullying and had to speak up, this in turn affected how I was treated by others in the team, fortunately my manager was supportive throughout. It was a very uncomfortable working environment and if I could have, I'd just have left and got another job or done some locum work, but knew I would have been back at square one an just had to get through it. Anyway it's all done now, I survived! Don't give up, it is possible.

Hi any tips with getting the supervised audit done?

On 14/05/2017 at 02:51, Cath said:

Hi All

Im an OT from the Uk i have had problems finding someone who will take me on so that i can complete my practice audit ...i have got limited registration ..have called so many different departments with no luck!  I feel so frustrated as i seem to go round in a circle .. can anyone help?

how did you get on? any luck recenlty? 

• 10 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On ‎22‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 18:02, Nikkidylan said:

If anyone is in the AHPRA registration Catch 22 of needing to be registered to apply for a job but needing a job before you can fully register ,I found an ad on Seek that is looking for OTs/PTs with limited registration

https://www.seek.com.au/job/38153642?searchrequesttoken=d808cf15-cb18-43d9-a2fb-ad394424261b&type=standout

Hi,

This is brilliant - thanks for sharing. I am an OT from the UK and am based in Melbourne so this is great.

I am finding the whole registration process so frustrating and very disheartening! Do you know how long the limited registration process takes? Am I right in thinking they wont take me on before I have got the limited registration? They dont help with the process? Sorry for all the questions - just looking for a bit of light in the tunnel!!

Thanks in advance!

Hi Emilyalice

I have gone through the whole limited registration process and now I have full registration with AHPRA. So, in order to apply for limited registration, you need a job offer from a company first. Then your future employer and supervisor can help you sign all those tedious forms for limited registration application. The limited registration process usually takes 6 months according the the guideline of OTC. During the process you need to fill in supervision plan, supervision log, mid-way reports and final report. For my own situation, after I submitted the mid-way report (3 months after employment), they requested me to submit the final report straight away. So, I spent less then 6 months to get my full registration. During the job hunting, it is very important to emphasis that you are eligible for AHPRA registration otherwise it will be really hard to get a job offer which the employer is willing to do so much extra administration works for you during the limited registration application. 

Good luck. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chan2016 said:

Hi Emilyalice

I have gone through the whole limited registration process and now I have full registration with AHPRA. So, in order to apply for limited registration, you need a job offer from a company first. Then your future employer and supervisor can help you sign all those tedious forms for limited registration application. The limited registration process usually takes 6 months according the the guideline of OTC. During the process you need to fill in supervision plan, supervision log, mid-way reports and final report. For my own situation, after I submitted the mid-way report (3 months after employment), they requested me to submit the final report straight away. So, I spent less then 6 months to get my full registration. During the job hunting, it is very important to emphasis that you are eligible for AHPRA registration otherwise it will be really hard to get a job offer which the employer is willing to do so much extra administration works for you during the limited registration application. 

Good luck. 

Thank you very much for your reply!

Well done on getting full registration, thats brilliant news!! So when you were looking for an employer who would take yo, you just rang them all up and explained your situation? I rang an employer up before and they asked if I had completed stage 1. Can I do this prior to gaining employment? Then I do stage 2 with the employer? Also, how much does it cost as ive read alot of conflicting views!

Sorry for more questions. I am very grateful for your help and helping me clear things up!

1 hour ago, Emilyalice said:

Thank you very much for your reply!

Well done on getting full registration, thats brilliant news!! So when you were looking for an employer who would take yo, you just rang them all up and explained your situation? I rang an employer up before and they asked if I had completed stage 1. Can I do this prior to gaining employment? Then I do stage 2 with the employer? Also, how much does it cost as ive read alot of conflicting views!

Sorry for more questions. I am very grateful for your help and helping me clear things up!

You're welcome. Stage 1 is the skill assessment (desktop assessment) you applied for migration purpose. So if you have got your PR and you are now in Australia, I believe you have passed stage 1 already. 

If you haven't done skill assessment before, this is the first step you have to do it straight away right now. You can only apply for limited registration after stage 1. 

Regarding the fee and other information, you can check from OTC website: https://www.otcouncil.com.au/forms/ 

Schedule of fee: https://www.otcouncil.com.au/wp-content/uploads/Schedule-of-Fees.docx

• 11 months later...

Hi everyone!

I'm an almost qualified Occupational Therapists (March 2020) with a couple of conditional job offers in the UK. I am considering moving to Australia and have had a look at the OT registration process, and spoke with a couple of recruitment agencies. Being optimistic, I thought the registration process sounded pretty straightforward, BUT after reading some of the posts on here.... hmmm LOL.

Anyone currently in the same boat as me? Maybe we could row together? 🙂

Hi, 

just personal experience - thought it might be helpful. I would take your job offer in UK first, gain some experience and then come over to Aus. 

reason I say this as you need a job offer before you can become registered, it’s really difficult to find an employer who will take you on prior to having registration.

i worked for a couple of years in uk first, and believe my experience is why I was offered work. Would have been a lot harder as a new grad as competing against Australian new grad OTs who also have registration. From what I’ve heard from students here it’s competitive.

good luck!

• Like 1

Just a quick response... looking outside of the traditional OT roles is what is needed to 'break' the job market here.  It's very difficult with the sheer numbers of new grads here who do a 4 year course and is competitive plus alot of who you know etc.... that said overseas OTs are happily welcomed especially young fresh newbies to Oz they love showing off their country to you bring you on board etc... look into a company called everyday independence I'm sure I read on their website recently that they welcome overseas applicants and those with registration requirements.  I'd check them out they are mainly victoria based and some NSW locations it's also NDIS work the new national disability scheme.  Also occupational rehab work cover companies, is a way in for sure if you can handle the work as it's quite different.... goodluck 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I found this thread this afternoon whilst trying to double check the exact cost of AHPRA registration for an OT friend of mine based in the Midlands back in the UK, considering a move over to Melbourne later this year.

I work at Sugarman Australia and specifically with OTs seeking work for an Australian organisation. I am from the UK myself and worked in Sugarman's London office between 2011-2018 assisting OTs for work in the NHS and private sectors.

I must say, compared to the Aussies I worked with in London, their wait of (on average) 5 months for their (full) HCPC application isn't half as frustrating as I used to bemoan on their behalf - the AHPRA registration for overseas applicants is much trickier and harder to navigate.

I would like to think I can be helpful/useful in helping OTs explore options in Australia who require assistance with limited AHPRA registrations/sponsorship visas. We work with organisations that will definitely consider British applicants with these profiles, but otherwise at the very least I would be very happy to share some feedback/tips to hopefully provide some clarity to give you some peace of mind that it is not as challenging as you'd maybe first feared.

So give me a shout if you would like further info/guidance! 🙂

Thanks

Ross