Help! Ahpra registration as an occupational therapist.

nikkibikki

Hi there.. are you in Oz? You will have to let me know how you get on. I arrive in July and have spent loads of time contacting OTC and ahpra but not a lot of luck. Very hard to find supervision when on limited registration but good luck I will be in the same position with this catch 22 situation and it frankly got me stressed out but I have now just put it to back of my mind as I move out of my house that I have sold on Friday and too many other things to think about :)

I've just finished my supervised practice, so there is hope! I managed to get the job ok, it was a case of knowing the process in and out and just applying for everything I could whilst infoming potential employers of what was involved. Only 5% were interested in going further but I did have a choice of three to go for. In the end I had to narrow it down to which was the best area for us all as we had to find schools too. It was tricky and stressful, and I had to work more hours than I wanted to around school drop offs and pick ups. The initial registration paperwork was ridiculous and it took ages to get the limited reg so that I could actually start, but once up and running it was pretty straight forward. It was made more difficult however because of the workplace culture, I witnessed some bullying and had to speak up, this in turn affected how I was treated by others in the team, fortunately my manager was supportive throughout. It was a very uncomfortable working environment and if I could have, I'd just have left and got another job or done some locum work, but knew I would have been back at square one an just had to get through it. Anyway it's all done now, I survived! Don't give up, it is possible.

I've just finished my supervised practice, so there is hope! I managed to get the job ok, it was a case of knowing the process in and out and just applying for everything I could whilst infoming potential employers of what was involved. Only 5% were interested in going further but I did have a choice of three to go for. In the end I had to narrow it down to which was the best area for us all as we had to find schools too. It was tricky and stressful, and I had to work more hours than I wanted to around school drop offs and pick ups. The initial registration paperwork was ridiculous and it took ages to get the limited reg so that I could actually start, but once up and running it was pretty straight forward. It was made more difficult however because of the workplace culture, I witnessed some bullying and had to speak up, this in turn affected how I was treated by others in the team, fortunately my manager was supportive throughout. It was a very uncomfortable working environment and if I could have, I'd just have left and got another job or done some locum work, but knew I would have been back at square one an just had to get through it. Anyway it's all done now, I survived! Don't give up, it is possible.

Hi there! Glad you are fully registered! Would you mind sharing your e-mail so I can talk to you privately?

Hi everyone. Please help. E-mailed a few members that may have full registration but no response :(

If you know anyone who can supervise or who might refer me to someone who can, please let me know through this forum would be fine.

Thanks guys. Just on the verge of giving up :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi I have been n Oz 5 weeks and had a very poor response from recruitment agencies and with anything I looked into regards work in a classic OT role. I then turned my attentions to the private sector, specifically in vocational rehab, occ rehab roles and found an employer who interviewed me straight away and sounded like a fantastic company, good pay and professional development etc.. they also are happy to take me on with our reg and will let me start the training period before my limited reg comes through as I will not be practicing. Its really is the best way to avoid all this negativity of trying to get a job in over subscribed OT roles and waiting ages for reg. I am also very excited about trying a new industry whilst in a new country :) Its also based in the Northern Rivers in a glorious coastal location and couldn't be happier. I think trying companies direct is theist option looking for alternative roles and trying something completely different than what we all might be used to in UK etc... Good luck y'all

Hello Friends,

I am an Occupational Therapist with more than 8 years of experience.. I tried contacting more than 100's of recruiters however no positive result.. can someone please give me some tips or connects for my getting supervised practice ?

Thanks a ton in advance....

Hi all. I did make it and nearly at the stage I can supervise. Wahoo. Feel free to email me if needed.

Hi Nikki,

Can you please help me with supervised practice ??? I am not bale to PM you as I am a new member... Can you please send me your email address... Thanks a ton...

Hi Dufferdev, I hope you read my message above about how i have managed to get my foot in the door. Injury management / vocational rehab and can start without reg in place with full training ongoing CPD and unlimited personal development budget, mentoring and supervision throughout and great career progression. Trying a new field of work and working out great for me. :) good luck!

• Like 1

Hi Dufferdev, I hope you read my message above about how i have managed to get my foot in the door. Injury management / vocational rehab and can start without reg in place with full training ongoing CPD and unlimited personal development budget, mentoring and supervision throughout and great career progression. Trying a new field of work and working out great for me. :) good luck!

Hi Live the dream,

Thanks for your inputs...... your inputs are really superb... I started applying for Rehab and injury management... fingers crossed.. lets hope for the best...

• 1 month later...

Hey.. just to throw it out there.. my company are interviewing for an OT in Occ rehab / injury management in Coffs Harbour and I do also believe that they will have more openings in other locations.. please PM me details of interest for this and I will provide more details and can refer you through me. I have only started and only in my second week and its definitely been very challenging but they have been supportive and helpful, they appear to want to really provide good company training and being dedicated to getting you fully trained. Be prepared for a massive change in direction for your career but its an exciting new opportunity. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am also a Singapore and UK trained OT with 4 years of hospital work experience in Singapore. Currently holding onto my Oz PR. However I am also having some issues with getting a job without the full AHPRA reg too :( It's quite disheartening to get turned down. They wouldnt even discuss further about my experiences when i told them i needed stage 2 supervised practice. Can't believe it is so tough here.

I hope someone here will be able to help me or provide me a contact that I can link up with (or some social support would be appreciated too!) :cry:

Hey.. I totally feel your pain, I am still waiting for my limited reg to come through and it doesn't stop there its so full one. Julia Savage at OTC is a great point of contact if you need any clarification and she helped me though she can not help get you a job! Look at the post I had put up before yours about my Company and the jobs available in Occ rehab.. its a good way in to getting reg :)

Hi!nikkibikki

I am an OT just moved to Sydney and I am searching for a position of supervised practice.

Could you send the contact details to me please?

Thank you very much.

Hi Nikki any chance I could also email you, seeing as you have managed to be successful in tackling the supervised practice...thank you!

Hi all

I have just arrived in oz from the uk. I am just waiting for my desk top audit to be completed (i have had a ridiculous amount of issues with the postal system!). I am currently living on the central coast with my boyfriend (who is aussie) but we are looking to move to Melbourne in Jan and I'm hoping to find OT work there.

However I am realising this is going to be very difficult with the need to get supervised practice audit, like all of you have been saying all jobs seem to want this completed first before considering to employ anyone

I would be really grateful for any contacts or suggestions.

Thanks,

Becky.

Hi all

I have just arrived in oz from the uk. I am just waiting for my desk top audit to be completed (i have had a ridiculous amount of issues with the postal system!). I am currently living on the central coast with my boyfriend (who is aussie) but we are looking to move to Melbourne in Jan and I'm hoping to find OT work there.

However I am realising this is going to be very difficult with the need to get supervised practice audit, like all of you have been saying all jobs seem to want this completed first before considering to employ anyone

I would be really grateful for any contacts or suggestions.

Thanks,

Becky.

Hi becky,

I am also making the move to Melbourne January, stage one all done, just need to start stage two once get an employer... would be good to see how both get on?

Are you iver from from the U.K.?

Thanks,

Ellen