Help! Ahpra registration as an occupational therapist.

nikkibikki

APHRA are a total waste of space. I'd been working here for 10 years when they brought in rego.

I thought I'd be a shoe-in, but oh no, they had to play silly buggers. In the end I had to be "grandfathered" in with more bloody paperwork than it took to become an Aussie citizen.

Why? Well they didn't recognise the awarding body for my qualification, the University of Exeter!!!

Bunch of numbskulls.

Edited by Thom

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Just wondering how you are all getting on and if anybody has managed to find a job! I've written to the OTC to feedback about the difficulties experienced in the hope that they can do something to help...fingers crossed!

Hi Bosco and all the other OTs over in Australia or planning to go soon. My heart is slowly sinking with the realisation that getting an OT job for the supervised practice is going to be almost impossible. Midwives and nurses are also having registration problems and have been petitioning ministers for health who are meeting with ahpra bosses to find a way forward. The OTs seem to be a minority group and probably haven't got a voice so far. I think I'll do the same as you Bosco and write to the OTC. I'm interested in jobs that an OT can do to get registration that isn't clinical if anyone has any ideas??

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm an overseas qualified OT with 8 years of experience.I've completed OTC stage 1. I migrated to australia 3 months back and ever since i have been searching for an employer who will provide me an opportunity for limited supervised practice.

Recently I got an offer from an employer for a part time position. The part time position is one day per week.Will APRA consider this for limited supervised practice?

What is the minimum number of days per week I should work to be eligibile for APRA registration?

Hi,

I'm an overseas qualified OT with 8 years of experience.I've completed OTC stage 1. I migrated to australia 3 months back and ever since i have been searching for an employer who will provide me an opportunity for limited supervised practice.

Recently I got an offer from an employer for a part time position. The part time position is one day per week.Will APRA consider this for limited supervised practice?

What is the minimum number of days per week I should work to be eligibile for APRA registration?

Congratulations on getting an offer, it's hopefully a foot in the door. I'm sure someone said that you could do the supervised practise for longer if it was less than 30 hours but I don't know this for sure. I've emailed the OT council and AHPRA about a couple of things and had replies so worth checking with them, I'd be interested to know too. Where are you based?

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya,

As far as I'm aware you need to work a minimum of 30 hours per week for a period of 6 months to be eligible for full registration. Best to contact AHPRA directly with your query...they may consider it, but will probably extend the supervision period. Good luck and keep us posted.

Hi all

Im four months into supervised practice. I can confirm 30 plus hours equals six months of supervised practice. If you work less it will take you considerably longer. Sickness and annual leave will be added on, so stay well and slog your guts out. Seems a little unfair when I work 38 hours a week but hey ho. I have found very little that is different from the UK but I grin and bear it. I'm writing to OTC and immigration on completion as I have found the whole process a little unfair. I've also met OTs who are only being paid OTA rates while undergoing the process. LuckilyiI'm not but Ihave had to drop a few grades as a compromise . I have to say if I knew it would have been this difficult...........

Hi all! I have written to the OTC months back. I got a reply from the Executive Director, Julia Fenton and we spoke on the phone. All she told me was to explain adequately to the potential employers how the supervised practice audit goes (as if I didn't do that). I've done that for over 4 months now and still no luck on finding employment. I also phoned AHPRA but they can not help me with the problem. This whole supervised registration thing is a nightmare!!!!

Hi nikkibikki, the whole process is very costly as like you say you've dropped grades, plus loss of earning whilst struggling to get a job for months. It does seem to take months to get a job if at all. Where are you based janelleley? I also emailed OTC and had a reply from Julia Fenton who told me to read all the info carefully!! I had asked a specific question but didn't get a clear answer, gave up in the end. I arrive on New Year's eve so have all of this to look forward to. BTW my partner is a midwife and last month ahpra announced that UK midwives will need to have 12 months of full time supervised practice, so we'll see how that affects their employability.

When I contacted both OTC and AHPRA I got mixed messages every time. Nothing was clear cut. It also didn't matter whether you explained things to employers re: supervised practice, they just weren't interested. It sounds complicated and implies you cannot work without supervision so as an employer I would definitely go with the applicant with full reg. I have completed my half way report and OTC couldn't even be bothered to write and confirm things were OK. I found this a little rude considering the cost involved!! I know I shouldn't moan as I am employed but I have to say I'm so over it. Also I have the joy of paying ahpra yet again for full reg!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, has anyone tried for work in rural areas just to get their stage 2 done? I was offered a job in NSW health in the hunter valley district a few months back. I currently work in NT, Im sure you have looked into rural areas but thought it was worth mentioning

• 3 months later...

Hello Everyone, I recently moved to Australia on a partner visa. I worked as an OT in the UK for a few years (trained in Germany and Holland) and close to submit my Stage 1 desktop assessment. Now I face the same struggle as some of you experiencing. I believe this system it is so ridiculous! Although there is a demand for OT's working here, nobody wants you without the full registration! I am scared of actually starting to look for jobs. Are there any more experiences or tips where to look and what to refer to when you contact the manager?

Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Congratulations on getting an offer, it's hopefully a foot in the door. I'm sure someone said that you could do the supervised practise for longer if it was less than 30 hours but I don't know this for sure. I've emailed the OT council and AHPRA about a couple of things and had replies so worth checking with them, I'd be interested to know too. Where are you based?

I've since found out that you need to do 12 months supervised practice if doing less than 30 hours per week. I only wanted to do 3 days as I have young children and don't want to chuck them into before and after school care whilst they're settling in, but now I'm going to work 30 hrs over 5 days to get the ordeal over with in 6 months so that I'm free to pick and choose work and possibly locum.

Edited by misstatt

Hi y'all! Reading the posts i realize that the whole process will be a real nightmare... A bit stupid question - is it possible to take OT courses without stage 2 completed? And can benefit the process in some way? Thanks, and good luck.

Hi Yefim, not that I'm aware of. Doing the stage 2 is the only way and I researched this extensively!!

We have now arrived in Oz and my wife has started looking for work.

She had a slightly bizarre call with a recruiter who told her you can register in NZBOT and then apply for registration with APHRA without having to do a desktop audit.

Anyone heard of this or got any experience?

I am another poor soul in the same position as all you guys. Moved to Sydney in June 2014, got my PR in Febuary this year, have two years experience of working as an OT in the UK and I am just chasing deadend opportunities on a daily basis now. This supervised practice is a total nightmare.

Like you wife, I was also told by a recruiter to look into register in NZ and then have my APHRA transferred over but I can' t seem to find anyone who has successfully taken this route. How did she get on?

If any OT's in the Sydney area can offer any advice and support I would greatly appreciate it. I am reaching a stage of desperation.

I also had a recruitment consultant tell me that and I looked into it, however you need to put NZ employer details down on the reg application so don't see how this would be possible if actually intending to go to Australia directly.

I am another poor soul in the same position as all you guys. Moved to Sydney in June 2014, got my PR in Febuary this year, have two years experience of working as an OT in the UK and I am just chasing deadend opportunities on a daily basis now. This supervised practice is a total nightmare.

Like you wife, I was also told by a recruiter to look into register in NZ and then have my APHRA transferred over but I can' t seem to find anyone who has successfully taken this route. How did she get on?

If any OT's in the Sydney area can offer any advice and support I would greatly appreciate it. I am reaching a stage of desperation.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi there all

Wondering if anyone had any updates on how they have gotten on with APHRA? Has anyone arranged their reg from the UK prior to going and has anyone taken this NZ route that is mentioned often and has been mentioned to me also from recruitment consultants? I am finding the whole process confusing, the thing is I was reg with APHRA in 2012 when I was on WHV and had an OT regional outback locum job for 5 months and they did my supervision. It seemed so easy then as it was all temporary and part of my travels as I didn't care where I went then. They did not have to supervise me much it was normal supervision meeting every fortnight with a senior member of staff what you would do in any job as part of your professional development and supervision contract with your role. It was helpful and they were great and I just wish I had been able to keep it up but without a visa I had to leave and returned to the UK. Now it seems daunting and more difficult as the job market is not as good from what I can gather and no one wants to take on OT's with limited reg??!

Any advice and updates would be great :)

I will also help whatever way I can!

• 2 months later...