Going back with no jobs(s)

3FatCats

So I was just wondering how many of the returnees went back to at least one job, and how many went back to none? Also, and I know this will depend on profession and job type, but how long did it take you all to secure employment?

As you can probably tell we are seriously considering the move back at some point next year, I am holding back because of fear mainly. Although I don't like it here we both have jobs and a steady income.

I also wondered if anyone has experience of UK employers frowning on Aussie work experience? Just crossed my mind that this might happen!

Many thanks

cats

We went back without jobs, I started looking 28th August when we son started back at school and started work 24th September so it took about 3 weeks.

It so depends on your field of work though (I'm an IT Manager) and whether you have kept your networks in the UK - not that my job was through contacts but having them meant I was confident and that comes across at interview :)

The last company I worked for in Australia was BT so that may have helped but my most recent experience being in Australia made no difference.

One minor difficulty was in the UK I had worked mainly in Finance, as that's where most of the work in Edinburgh is whereas in Australia I worked in Insurance then Healthcare so I was knocked back for a couple of roles for not having 'recent Financial Services experience' but the role I got was in one of the big 4 banks so it obviously didn't matter to them.

Edited by Lady Rainicorn

When we returned from Canada in late 2008 we had no jobs to go to. We lived with my Mum initially and my partner took a couple of weeks to find work in that area. It took me 4 months but there are far fewer geology jobs available in the UK and I didn't have to get a job immediately. I enjoyed hanging out with Mum for a bit and helping her with her property renovations! In our work international experience is seen as a major advantage so was certainly a bonus, but I guess that depends so much on your field. Now we have a baby on the way we'll definitely try and sort work for my OH before we return, or at least line up some interviews. I know my old workplace was keen to have us but that's our safety net and we want to explore other possibilities first. Definitely paid off visiting my old office to catch up with the colleagues when we went back on holiday in April, the first thing my boss said to me was 'there's some jobs here if you want them!'. Nice to feel wanted!

Most of the returnees I've encountered seem to have picked up work reasonably easily and often before they have left Aus. Some have just re activated old networks but others have applied from O/S. I think flexibility of location might be a factor too.

Good Luck!

Hi

We both came back without jobs, I am now a stay at home mum so no pressure for me, it took my oh about 6 weeks to find work (works in IT) and he was being selective - there were a lot of vacancies around about 6 months ago in his field. His Australian experience was as relevant as any previous work experience would have been :-)

So I was just wondering how many of the returnees went back to at least one job, and how many went back to none?

Many thanks

cats

Since you both have a job over here, why not one of you goes to the UK to find a job and staying at family or friends to save housing?

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't worry too much, I've been back for a month now. After swamping the market place with CV's, blitzing indeed, monster, seek jobsite etc with applications there have been lots of employment offers and I am now in full time employment (non of that casual crap) with fixed hours and job security.

looking around I cannot get over how much work is available, building sites that were "mothballed" 12 months ago are now in full swing and it looks like the worst of the recession is over if you are prepared to treat looking for work as a full time job then you will get something.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been offered jobs already, just been emailing places that I would like to work and telling them about myself.I mostly have a sales background(no qualifications to speak, just lots of past experience)

I really do not think I am going to have any probelm, walking straight into a job,from the amount of really positive responses I have had.

I do not think British employers "frown" on Aussie waork experience, I think they are happy,,,,,unlike coming to Aus, whereas I have had nothing but negative responses from Aussie employers, due to my lack of Aussie experience.That always makes me so cross, how negative so many employers in Aus, are towards Brits BTW!I think maybe if I had gone to Sydney or Melbourne, it may not of been such a problem, but here in Tassie,they will just not employ outsiders,,they would rather not fill the vacancy!!!!!!

I looked on the Direct Gov site the other night and put in a 3 mile radius of where we will be living, and there must of been 40 jobs, that I could apply for.Albeit some were "not all that", but they were jobs and they would tide me over, no problem, until something better came along.Some were auctually pretty good as well,I was pleasantly surprised at how many there were.

I dont think you will have any problems, I really dont