Car Rego in NSW

k8bug79

Hi,

I know car rego insurance is a little different in NSW. We need to renew our rego later this month and have a few queries that I hope you can help us with. The car is owned (officially) by my husband. The rego and Greenslip are all in his name. I am about to go and do the pink slip- which I suspect just applies to the car so won't be in a specific name. But we are thinking of upping our insurance to fully comprehensive that includes the greenslip. I have the no claims discount as I have consistently owned a car- about 9 years now in total but all UK based. Hubby has 3 years I think UK based. Therefore if they'll accept either it would make more sense to have the insurance policy in my name. But I'm wondering how that works with the car in his name and whether the rego needs to be done in my name also? Do we need to transfer ownership or will it not matter as long as there are policies that cover us both?

TIA

I'd take a run down to the RMS (formerly RTA) office in Hurstville and have them make a ruling on it. You might be able to ring them up and ask, but I think eyeball to eyeball is always better. Also, I would think your insurance agent could answer those questions, no??

I would double check that "fully comprehensive" actually does include the greenslip first. I've not seen one of these policies. Both our cars are comprehensively insured but with separate CTP insurance

I don't think it matters if the car rego is in a different name to the insurance (esp if you are married). Insurance should primarily be in the name of the person who uses the vehicle the most.

Also check that they will take account of your UK no claims

I would double check that "fully comprehensive" actually does include the greenslip first. I've not seen one of these policies. Both our cars are comprehensively insured but with separate CTP insurance

I don't think it matters if the car rego is in a different name to the insurance (esp if you are married). Insurance should primarily be in the name of the person who uses the vehicle the most.

Also check that they will take account of your UK no claims

Yeah defo will be checking it- my understanding is that the companies who offer greenslip also offer fully comp including it- but until I get it from the horses mouth lol

• 11 months later...

Car registration in New South Wales can be a little tricky especially when you are migrating from one region of Australia. The greenslips price jumps really high especially when you lack the needed driver points or requirements. If you want a great resource website for anything about greenslips you can visit this greenslip site.

I use this website to get valuable information before buying my greenslips and registering my vehicle.