Bridging Visa's

CowlingAFC

Hi folks.

I am currently in Australia on a 3month tourist visa, whilst my application for 189 visa is still ongoing.

I have since discovered I may qualify for a bridging visa whilst the ongoing saga continues, whcih means I could stay beyond my 3 months, forget about returning to the UK, and then work legally until either accepted / rejected for the 189.

Is this correct?

Can anyone explain in more detail please

cheers

Hi folks.

I am currently in Australia on a 3month tourist visa, whilst my application for 189 visa is still ongoing.

I have since discovered I may qualify for a bridging visa whilst the ongoing saga continues, whcih means I could stay beyond my 3 months, forget about returning to the UK, and then work legally until either accepted / rejected for the 189.

Is this correct?

Can anyone explain in more detail please

cheers

You would only get a bridging visa if you lodged the 189 onshore. Even if you did lodge this onshore, your bridging visa would not have working rights as it would have the same conditions as your tourist visa.

I got my invite whilst here in Austrlia on November 18th, and paid my $3560 or whatever it was. Case Officer assigned today.

I havent received any email with regards to a bridging visa, but noticed it on the forms they sent me on final application

Well when your tourist visa expires you would get a bridging visa, but it won't allow work. Still if you got a CO today perhaps not much longer to wait anyway.

Well when your tourist visa expires you would get a bridging visa, but it won't allow work. Still if you got a CO today perhaps not much longer to wait anyway.

Sorry pal. Spoke to immigration on the phone today and when my tourist visa expires, I AM LEGALLY ALLOWED to work whilst on my bridging visa.

Cheers

Sorry pal. Spoke to immigration on the phone today and when my tourist visa expires, I AM LEGALLY ALLOWED to work whilst on my bridging visa.

Cheers

They are wrong. Immigration are notorious for giving out incorrect info, sometimes costing people their visas, and they take no responsibility for it. The only time you can work on a bridging visa when you have been on a tourist visa first is if you apply for a partner (or relative) visa.

Seriously, don't trust what you have been told. Contact a migration agent if you don't want to believe people on here, but please do not risk your visa. Your bridging visa when it comes through will say that the same conditions apply as your last visa. Believe what you have in black and white.

Cheers

Do you know what, you have a really mean attitude. There is no need to address me in that manner. I am not your pal and nor would I ever wish to be.

Oh and you have been told wrong. You are not legally allowed to work.

Do you know what, you have a really mean attitude. There is no need to address me in that manner. I am not your pal and nor would I ever wish to be.

Oh and you have been told wrong. You are not legally allowed to work.

Sorry, I didnt mean to come across like that! My apologies.

But Ok thanks for that, I will go follow that up soon as possible. I did wonder about false info, but the fact he mentioned it to me firs seemed to follow up what i'd read online.

Cheers pal

Bridging visas aren't really my strong point and I can't access any legislative material at the moment, so don't take this as any form of professional advice and check it out yourself first.

My understanding is that the bridging visa A will state whether you can or cannot work by the inclusion of condition 8101. If condition 8101 is attached to the bridging visa A and you cannot work, you can make an application for another BVA, and by stating a compelling need to work due to financial hardship could be granted the new BVA without work restrictions.

And I echo the statements above, don't trust everything you're told over the phone to the DIBP, always confirm it yourself by researching.

your bridging visa would not have working rights as it would have the same conditions as your tourist visa.

This is a general and quite outdated guideline which often does not apply.

Not all bridging visas are created equal. The bridging visa for a subclass 189 will most likely have NIL conditions thus allowing work.

Easy enough to check as the Acknowledgment letter will include the bridging visa grant and conditions.

does it depend on what visa you're applying for? Because i'll be applying for a partner visa whilst on a tourist visa and several people have said i should get work rights once these 3 months are up. Sorry for the OP to jump on your thread, i'm totally no help.

Yes, the rules for the bridging visa associated with partner visa change this year. Under the current system you would receive a bridging visa with work rights.

Thats what I got after reading the terms and conditions, and was told on the phone. I will check again just to make sure, but a sfar as I gather I'm entitle to work after my tourist visa expires. (awaiting 189 visa)

Just make sure you go by whatever is on YOUR bridging visa when it is issued. ;-)