My son (Australian citizen) won´t be my sponsor

Ozie

I am eligible for an aged parent visa.

The big problem is that my son who is an Australian citizen refuses to be my sponsor!!!!

Will it be just enough just to prove that he de facto is my son and then try to get another person to sponsor me during the first two years??

According to immigration it doesn't have to be a family member for the aged parent visa, but it says the wait can be up to 13 years, but the sponsor has to give a written undertaking to support for the first two years - financial, accommodation and support.

It also has information on assurance of support.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/804.aspx

According to immigration it doesn't have to be a family member for the aged parent visa, but it says the wait can be up to 13 years, but the sponsor has to give a written undertaking to support for the first two years - financial, accommodation and support.

It also has information on assurance of support.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/804.aspx

Are you sure about this? As I understand it from the information on the DIBP website this states

Who can sponsor me?

Generally, you must be sponsored by your child or step-child, or that child or step-child’s cohabiting partner.

The Assurer on the other hand, can be a different person and does not need to be a child, but can be anyone who is a permanent resident and is willing to act as Assurer.

Are you sure about this? As I understand it from the information on the DIBP website this states

Who can sponsor me?

Generally, you must be sponsored by your child or step-child, or that child or step-child’s cohabiting partner.

The Assurer on the other hand, can be a different person and does not need to be a child, but can be anyone who is a permanent resident and is willing to act as Assurer.

It can be an organisation but they have to be linked to your family member

You can sponsor your parent for this visa if you are:

• 18 years of age or older

• living lawfully in Australia for at least two years before the visa application is lodged

• one of the following:

If you are younger than 18 years of age:

• your spouse who is 18 years of age or older, your relative or guardian, or a relative or guardian of your spouse, can sponsor your parent(s). The sponsor must be an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen.

• a community organisation can sponsor your parent(s) if:

• they show there is a relationship between their organisation and you

• a senior representative agrees for their organisation to support your parent(s) after their arrival in Australia.

So assuming the son is over 18 years old then he or another child needs to be the sponsor.

If they won't sponsor then parent visa is not an option.

Yes, that's how I understand it. The child or their partner has to sponsor, unless under 18. However the Assurer does not need to be the same as the sponsor.

* You need the sponsor to sign the form 40 when the application is lodged - otherwise the application won't be accepted by the Department of Immigration.

* Are you sure your son isn't confusing being a sponsor with being an assurer? As others have said, they are different roles - being a sponsor doesn't involve the same level of financial commitment.

Best regards.