Dumbing down CV for skills assessment/migration: Group FC to Accountant General

Lizzywills

Hi all

Anyone out there who can help with my query - my hubby is a Group Financial Controller, in his role for 5+ years. We are looking to emigrate to NSW SS visa under Accountant (General). He is sitting his IELTS this week.

We were advised by an agent here in the UK (we're now going with George Lombard in Oz by the way) to dumb down his CV and any workplace testimonials for his skilled employment assessment by the CPA so that it didn't reflect all the higher level stuff he does. Otherwise, he could be considered a Finance Manager - which is a different ANZCO code and not on the list for skilled migration.

Has anyone else had to do this?

Am I also right in assuming that as we will be claiming 15 points for skilled employment (and 15 points for his ACCA qualification = bachelors degree comparable) that we will need CPA to assess his skilled employment at the same time as his qualification?

It's no problems getting his CV and testimonials to show that he does the role of Accountant General as per the ANZCO code criteria, it just seems a strange thing to have to do - considering he is very very well qualified and then some....it does stipulate that skilled employment has to be at the appropriate level...I guess this is why we have to do it?

Thanks guys in advance for any input

Why do you need a CV for CPA assessment? Is this a new requirement?

CPA will assess your education and how many courses that they require have been completed. This is to decide if you are academically suitable.

For the skill employment - you can assess it with them based on work testemonials but it is not mandatory.

People do that when they are not sure how many years from their experience are skilled. And you have to tell them what you have done in reality anyway.

For the visa application, you do not need the skilled work assessment but it is good for you to have an idea.

Thanks Diana for your reply! I'm waiting to see what George says but both you and Rupert have been very helpful. It appears from what I've been told that DIAC will not need a skilled employment assessment from CPA to award us the max 15 points for this category; work testimonials etc will suffice..my hubby has 16 years PQE following ACCA (he's also an FCCA) so more than enough relevant employment although DIAC/CPA only want 8 years skilled employment confirmed..I'll update once I hear more from our agent...thanks again

Hi all

George has replied with more than enough reassuring info: in a nutshell it's all good! As hubby has followed a defined career path and advanced as you would expect from someone with 16 years plus post qualification work, (from accountant to group FC) DIAC take this into account, points should be awarded etc as planned. It doesn't look like we need employment assessment either from CPA - just skills. Phew. What a relief. Thanks to everyone who took the time to get in touch!

I'd only mention here that we have encountered a couple of case officers in the last couple of months saying that they require a skilled work experience advisory letter from the assessing body for the nominated occupation. This seems to be a Brisbane focussed issue for trade skills occupations, so I'd not be obtaining a skilled work experience advisory - particularly in view of the significant post qualification work experience.

Good luck!