Pharmacists - how did you find supervised practise? Recruitment tips?

jdad84

On 18 November 2019 at 04:25, Grapefest said:

If you know any pharmacy graduates with AHPRA registration that are looking for employer nominated sponsorship visas please PM me. 

If you are a pharmacist and want PR give me a message!

Just want to add some details. We are looking for 1 pharmacist that is willing to work and live in a mining town in WA with a population under 50k. Applicant will obviously have to work roughly 2 years under contract to get PR. The employer will sponsor you, even provide accommodation, transport. 

Hey, please could you give me more details about this. 

Edited by VERYSTORMY
Forum rules

13 hours ago, Vidya menon said:

Hi ,

would you also be able to advice on how you managed to get the supervised practice? Like were you already in Australia or did you apply for it from UK? I have just cleared my caop and awaiting provisional registration with AHPRA.

thank you

vidya

I found getting supervised practice hard - inner city Sydney pharmacies had too much choice to worry about an extra layer of hassle/delay to employing a pharmacist.

Looking outside of Sydney I found a pharmacy willing to take a punt - all supply and demand really. 

I had the easier time of being in Aus on a 4 yeaer visa (457) as my partner was sponsored. I reckon with enough determination and a rural/regional opportunity  reaching out on phone/Skype would increase chances significantly.

• 1 month later...
On 21/07/2019 at 16:21, uklfc said:

what's your email address I can send you an extra CAOP sample I have

Hi I'm sitting the exam in 23 days  to be precise. 

I'd be very grateful for some more sample papers. I've only seen the two, one from the official site and one 2014 one. 

I've been using the mcqs in pharmacy book too. 

I'm so worried about the time 

Many thanks 

☺️

On 02/02/2020 at 06:09, ANO90 said:

Hi I'm sitting the exam in 23 days  to be precise. 

I'd be very grateful for some more sample papers. I've only seen the two, one from the official site and one 2014 one. 

I've been using the mcqs in pharmacy book too. 

I'm so worried about the time 

Many thanks 

☺️

What is your mail Id please? I will send you the ones that I managed to get.

• 1 month later...

Hey All,

I've passed my CAOP exams and just applied for my 190 NSW visa. Considering how limited the chances are to get nominated by the state, I am looking at other options such as employer sponsorship visa. How hard is it to get sponsored? How am I going to complete my supervised practice and complete the oral exam if I can't find anyone to sponsor me?

Thank you. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/04/2020 at 13:11, kennethlwh said:

Hey All,

I've passed my CAOP exams and just applied for my 190 NSW visa. Considering how limited the chances are to get nominated by the state, I am looking at other options such as employer sponsorship visa. How hard is it to get sponsored? How am I going to complete my supervised practice and complete the oral exam if I can't find anyone to sponsor me?

Thank you. 

Any advice on what to study. Planning go take the exam in July and i have no idea what to study. I have amh and some oast questions and that's about it. 

On 04/02/2020 at 08:01, Vidya menon said:

What is your mail Id please? I will send you the ones that I managed to get.

Can u please send me some past questions for the caop. My email is amer_sharaf@hotmail.com 

I would really appreciate it.

Hi. I have not worked clinically / in community  for over 10 years (been in head office) I’m looking at the July exam. I’m worried.....what should I read ? I feel a bit out of touch. Does anybody have sample papers? I’m working full time in another job so time tight to study. Any help would be appreciated 🙏🏻😕

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, 

I've found this thread to be the only one that is useful for informations for pharmacists wanting to relocate. 

I was wondering if anyone could help with a few things - I want to register with APC to take the CAOP exam - firstly is an emergency first aid certificate from St John's Ambulance or Red Cross sufficient (this is a one day course but covers all CPR, defib, burns, cuts and wounds as specified in the APC doc https://www.pharmacycouncil.org.au/our-services/assessments/stream-b.pdf)?

Second, if anyone has any past CAOP papers they could send me I would be so appreciative! Let me know and I can send you my email address 🙂

Third - I am so confused about visas - would i have to first apply for a training visa to do the supervised hours before I can apply for a skilled or nominated visa?

Many thanks in advance for your help - thought I would try and get all the research done now as with the current covid situation I don't think I will be moving until at least 2021!

Cheers, Lydia

Hi everyone,

just looking for some general advice....

I moved to Australia with my partner in Jan. I was due to go back and forth for the year however as flying is no longer really an option, I figured I would sit the pharmacy exam here. How long does the APC skill assessment really take, is it 8 weeks, longer/shorter in your experience? I may have submitted it a week too late for the July exam but still remaining hopeful! I did not need the CV/experience thing they offer for visas as I already have the rights to work.\

Thanks in advance,

Kiran

7 hours ago, kiranD said:

Hi everyone,

just looking for some general advice....

I moved to Australia with my partner in Jan. I was due to go back and forth for the year however as flying is no longer really an option, I figured I would sit the pharmacy exam here. How long does the APC skill assessment really take, is it 8 weeks, longer/shorter in your experience? I may have submitted it a week too late for the July exam but still remaining hopeful! I did not need the CV/experience thing they offer for visas as I already have the rights to work.\

Thanks in advance,

Kiran

Hey , I did my exam last December and awaiting visa at the moment. It took exactly 6 weeks to get all the documents approved. 

14 hours ago, Vidya menon said:

Hey , I did my exam last December and awaiting visa at the moment. It took exactly 6 weeks to get all the documents approved. 

thanks Vidya,

how did you find it? I've worked in hospitals for the last 10 years so I'm a bit rusty on community stuff! 

Kind regards,

Kiran 

52 minutes ago, kiranD said:

thanks Vidya,

how did you find it? I've worked in hospitals for the last 10 years so I'm a bit rusty on community stuff! 

Kind regards,

Kiran 

So , it was really clinical, hardly any community stuff. So I think you should be okay. To be honest, I did a lot of reading and knew my AMH quite well. I used to do like 2 hours every night for about a month or two I think. 

51 minutes ago, Vidya menon said:

So , it was really clinical, hardly any community stuff. So I think you should be okay. To be honest, I did a lot of reading and knew my AMH quite well. I used to do like 2 hours every night for about a month or two I think. 

Cool,

maybe I'll chase APC and see if they can do it quicker (unlikely I know!). 

Good luck getting your visa- btw there are plenty of pharmacist jobs here in Queensland!

Kiran

I’ve been in Aus since January, booked the CAOP exam today and this is the first I’ve found actual advice! Thank you lovely people!

I’ve been a hospital pharmacist for 5 years before moving here but it seems that the easiest way to get the “supervised registration” out of the way is by getting a nice community pharmacist to let you come play! Once fully registered, any ideas what the job structure/equivalent post to a band 7 is? Or would is be easier to go in as a grade 1 and work your way up?

On 23/06/2020 at 15:26, Rachelbee said:

I’ve been in Aus since January, booked the CAOP exam today and this is the first I’ve found actual advice! Thank you lovely people!

I’ve been a hospital pharmacist for 5 years before moving here but it seems that the easiest way to get the “supervised registration” out of the way is by getting a nice community pharmacist to let you come play! Once fully registered, any ideas what the job structure/equivalent post to a band 7 is? Or would is be easier to go in as a grade 1 and work your way up?

Hi Rachel,

The APC have accepted my paperwork today so I can book the exam. What state are you in? Are you sitting the July exam or have you already sat the exam?

I was a band 8 in the UK and plan on working my way up initially until I am more familiar with the system.

42 minutes ago, kiranD said:

Hi Rachel,

The APC have accepted my paperwork today so I can book the exam. What state are you in? Are you sitting the July exam or have you already sat the exam?

I was a band 8 in the UK and plan on working my way up initially until I am more familiar with the system.

I’m sitting the July exam, booked for Sydney. I’m in NSW. I think I’ll probably do the same, aim for a started/newly qualified post then just earn my dues. Might be nice to have a bit of the pressure/expectations taken off for a while!

15 minutes ago, Rachelbee said:

I’m sitting the July exam, booked for Sydney. I’m in NSW. I think I’ll probably do the same, aim for a started/newly qualified post then just earn my dues. Might be nice to have a bit of the pressure/expectations taken off for a while!

I agree,

I am in no rush to be in a senior post again!

As a side note, there are loads of companies that are willing to hire pharmacists in a non traditional pharmacist post... might be worth exploring

21 minutes ago, ruthmacdonald said:

Hi Kiran. What companies do you know of that hire pharmacists in non traditional pharmacist roles?  My job was made redundant. Was hoping to sit the July exam but will need to wait until working 

Hi Ruth,

There are roles with drug companies, however I contacted companies directly involved in public health, a field I prefer to selling. It depends on what your interests are and what other skills you have. I am due to complete a masters in Public Health and therefore working towards health systems management/data. 

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone, 

Does anyone have any old CAOP papers they could kindly send my way please (lydiarhiannon@hotmail.co.uk) ? I'm hoping to sit the December exam in London!

Also don't know if anyone has any experience regarding visas - can I apply for a skilled visa once I have the skills assessment back from APC or do I need to wait until I have passed the exam?

Many thanks in advance 🙂 Lydia

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/10/2020 at 00:32, olive018 said:

Hi everyone, 

Does anyone have any old CAOP papers they could kindly send my way please (lydiarhiannon@hotmail.co.uk) ? I'm hoping to sit the December exam in London!

Also don't know if anyone has any experience regarding visas - can I apply for a skilled visa once I have the skills assessment back from APC or do I need to wait until I have passed the exam?

Many thanks in advance 🙂 Lydia

Hi Lydia,

They actually changed the format of the CAOP exam this summer, it is now 70 questions in 2 hours. I think there is a sample paper available on the APC website that may be of some use. My advice would be to become familiar with all topics in the Australian Medicines Handbook (very similar to BNF!)

I have no idea about visas- sorry. I would maybe chat to a migration agent as there are a few steps to the process (applying for AHPRA registration is a job in itself and can take weeks).

An important consideration: borders may not open for a while, maybe even 2022. How firm are your plans to migrate to Australia?