Pharmacists - how did you find supervised practise? Recruitment tips?

jdad84

15 hours ago, Lia said:

Thanks a lot! I'm just worried that I won't be able to find anywhere to do my supervised practice!

yeah...that's our worry as well because that's akin to finding a job and we are heading to Perth early next year...not the rosiest for job hunters for the moment

On 15/08/2017 at 16:16, leeeekiat said:

well, seems like the next step is to get any form of work and your new line manager will be your supervisor.  The charter will then decide how long would be deemed relevant and also if you need to sit an oral exam after your supervised period.  i would recommend doing past papers...just that the model answers are outdated, so don't get so hung up on them and just refer to the latest BNF for the correct answer..if that 

7 hours ago, leeeekiat said:

yeah...that's our worry as well because that's akin to finding a job and we are heading to Perth early next year...not the rosiest for job hunters for the moment

Yeah I don't think it's the best for pharmacists anywhere right now!

• 7 months later...
On 16 May 2017 at 13:14, jdad84 said:

Bit of a long overdue update...After registration I worked for 6 months in that post. I applied for a position in regional far north Queensland (FNQ) and gained sponsorship...which after a year my employer supported my application for permanent residency.

I've now been in FNQ for 2 years - my previous advice still stands... regional/rural positions provide well paid opportunities - where Australian pharmacists would rather not be.

City-based retail pharmacy has an oversupply...wages have deflated and I certainly would not choose to migrate here again if I were the sole breadwinner to support my family on a city pharmacist wage.

Hospital pharmacy on the other hand has better remuneration. I have hosted some uni pharmacy students at my pharmacy and the feedback I've heard is that competition is fierce. Again rural opportunities would be the place I'd look.

Overall I have no regrets for making the move or where my career is now and am very happy here in FNQ.

Jamie

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

Its so good to hear of your experience jdad84, I am aiming to start the whole process at the end of this year and finding it very dificult to get much information online from people who have done it before so I found this forum really useful! Thanks so much for sharing!

For anyone else going through the process, can you give updates like jdad84 did when you get settled over in AUS? I am open to working anywhere really, my boyfriend is a GP and is eager to work in more rural areas so its good to know its easier to get jobs in places like that! Because that was my main concern.

I was also just wondering if those who are in aus found it worth all the money and exams etc? Our plan is to go for 2 years.. do you think that is too litte?? cause I could always work in industry too if needed.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Merl said:

Its so good to hear of your experience jdad84, I am aiming to start the whole process at the end of this year and finding it very dificult to get much information online from people who have done it before so I found this forum really useful! Thanks so much for sharing!

For anyone else going through the process, can you give updates like jdad84 did when you get settled over in AUS? I am open to working anywhere really, my boyfriend is a GP and is eager to work in more rural areas so its good to know its easier to get jobs in places like that! Because that was my main concern.

I was also just wondering if those who are in aus found it worth all the money and exams etc? Our plan is to go for 2 years.. do you think that is too litte?? cause I could always work in industry too if needed.

Thanks

If you are only planning on going for two years, it is unlikely to justify the costs. The visa costs are a drop in the ocean of migrating. 

9 hours ago, Merl said:

I am open to working anywhere really, my boyfriend is a GP and is eager to work in more rural areas so its good to know its easier to get jobs in places like that! Because that was my main concern.

I'd say two years is not enough.  There are a lot of hidden costs in migrating - you've got to give away your current furniture, or sell it for peanuts (or perhaps put it in storage, which is an extra cost), then when you get to Australia you've got the cost of replacing the lot (you won't find a furnished rental flat, you'll have to provide all your own stuff).  I was surprised how much it cost just to replace pots and pans, bed linen, and all the other little stuff!   Alternatively, you could ship it all over - which costs a few thousand, of course.  Then when you come back, you'll have to do it all in reverse.   To get your money's worth, I'd be aiming for a bit longer.

• 1 month later...

General update for would be pharmacists to OZ, missus just arrived last week and managed to secure an internship with a local chemist in the Sydney CBD, which she applied for via Seek just 2 weeks ago, although, they seems to have put a lot of weight on our rented location in their decision to hire her.  Confusion now over the duration of her internship to gain full recognition as both the APC and PBA were both unable to ascertain the time she requires under stream B.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wow finally some information, it’s been so hard to hear from anyone who’s been through the move. I’m currently preparing for the CAOP for August. It’s all a bit daunting, finding its taking me too long to get through the past papers, calculations are alright but still getting familiad with the AMH/APF. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much for the updates!!

I'm planning to take the exam in December to give myself more time to prepare. 

On 02/05/2018 at 07:49, leeeekiat said:

General update for would be pharmacists to OZ, missus just arrived last week and managed to secure an internship with a local chemist in the Sydney CBD, which she applied for via Seek just 2 weeks ago, although, they seems to have put a lot of weight on our rented location in their decision to hire her.  Confusion now over the duration of her internship to gain full recognition as both the APC and PBA were both unable to ascertain the time she requires under stream B.

Congratulations! :D Sounds promising, I hope she likes the working environment there! :) May I know which visa your missus is on to carry out the internship?

15 hours ago, hbh02 said:

Congratulations! ? Sounds promising, I hope she likes the working environment there! ? May I know which visa your missus is on to carry out the internship?

She's adjusting to how the dispensing system works here and mentioned it will take 3 weeks to be back at the level she was in London.  Colleagues are friendly but too busy to be chatting and everyone leaves at 6 on the dot.  She is here as my dependent and i am here on a 189. 

• 2 months later...

So far so good, as mentioned above, she got an intern role in a local pharmacy within a week of arrival and just heard back from aphra stipulating 1 month supervised intern/pre registration/work before they will provide full registration, which is the minimum time and will be required to take both oral exams to by fully registered, this will vary case by case and based on her having 10 + years as a senior hospital clinical pharmacist in the UK

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Question for JDAD84 and leeeekiat. Im a US pharmacist and my skills assessment was just completed by the APC. Im really happy that Ive stumbled across this thread. can either of you provide some insight on the absolute best references to study from that are most relevant for the CAOP exam? Im scheduled to take it in July. I have all the suggested texts but it looks like a ton to sort through. Need to make it more streamlined and focused. Thanks a bunch!

• 3 months later...

Hi all, 

thanks to all posters for this thread. Its been very useful.

Can anyone help me find more CAOP exam sample papers to practice? The APC website had 3 or 4 sample papers when i checked in 2017 but didn't save, as I wrongly assumed they would be there in the future. They've removed those in 2018 and now there is only have one paper to practice with!

thanks

Hai

hi I am taking July exam. How did the December one go? Would you advise to tag as much as the AMH as possible to help navigate for the exam? Any help/guidance would be great!

On 21/06/2018 at 21:14, hbh02 said:

Congratulations! 😄 Sounds promising, I hope she likes the working environment there! 🙂 May I know which visa your missus is on to carry out the internship?

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/07/2019 at 22:02, Haister said:

Hi all, 

thanks to all posters for this thread. Its been very useful.

Can anyone help me find more CAOP exam sample papers to practice? The APC website had 3 or 4 sample papers when i checked in 2017 but didn't save, as I wrongly assumed they would be there in the future. They've removed those in 2018 and now there is only have one paper to practice with!

thanks

Hai

what's your email address I can send you an extra CAOP sample I have

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

i am sitting the caop exam in December. As others mentioned in the post, i have no access to past papers except the one in APC website . Has anyone got any more papers or resources they are using to prepare for the exam. I have got the AmH and the APF , so just trying familiarise with them. Any other tips appreciated.

TIA

Vidya

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

If you know any pharmacy graduates with AHPRA registration that are looking for employer nominated sponsorship visas please PM me. 

If you are a pharmacist and want PR give me a message!

Just want to add some details. We are looking for 1 pharmacist that is willing to work and live in a mining town in WA with a population under 50k. Applicant will obviously have to work roughly 2 years under contract to get PR. The employer will sponsor you, even provide accommodation, transport. 

Edited by Grapefest

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All, 

Not sure how active people are on here as this post is quite  old . 

I am planning to go to Perth on a spouse visa in 2021 and will plan on staying there for few years. 

I just started looking into what's like to work in Australia and the process of getting register there. 

I am currently hospital pharmacist in London and had 9 years of experience and currently working in the Bone Marrow Transplant setting. 

Its has been incredibly difficult to find first hand experience online about the transition from UK to Australia. 

Few questions 

1 with regards to the supervised period, if entering through stream B, is there a standard length of period? I understand that you can apply for a shorted one if that's correct?

Who would decide the length and how it is decided?

2  How do you go about looking for jobs in hospital?  Do they employ centrally or by individual hospital? How do you go about applying for supervised period?

3 I have seen a lot of comments about how bad the pay is and there is oversupply of pharmacists many years ago. Is it still the same? does it affect pharmacist of all sector?What are the pay like for a equivalent band 8a role in hospital in Australia?

I would be very grateful if anyone can shed some light on this. 

Many Thanks 

Derek 

On 16/12/2019 at 04:18, TTWCHAN said:

Hi All, 

Not sure how active people are on here as this post is quite  old . 

I am planning to go to Perth on a spouse visa in 2021 and will plan on staying there for few years. 

I just started looking into what's like to work in Australia and the process of getting register there. 

I am currently hospital pharmacist in London and had 9 years of experience and currently working in the Bone Marrow Transplant setting. 

Its has been incredibly difficult to find first hand experience online about the transition from UK to Australia. 

Few questions 

1 with regards to the supervised period, if entering through stream B, is there a standard length of period? I understand that you can apply for a shorted one if that's correct?

Who would decide the length and how it is decided?

2  How do you go about looking for jobs in hospital?  Do they employ centrally or by individual hospital? How do you go about applying for supervised period?

3 I have seen a lot of comments about how bad the pay is and there is oversupply of pharmacists many years ago. Is it still the same? does it affect pharmacist of all sector?What are the pay like for a equivalent band 8a role in hospital in Australia?

I would be very grateful if anyone can shed some light on this. 

Many Thanks 

Derek 

Hey Derek,

If you're degree qualified in the UK you'd be stream B. I was 2 years post qualified, junior hospital pharmacist when I applied. My supervised period was 180 hours (4 weeks). I completed these in community.

Hospitals are state based - depending on rural/regional location supply of Pharmacists may be more favourable for you. I'd definitely recommend you looking up jobs and calling.

Pay and conditions relate more to community. As fault as I know hospital roles have a greater award rate (pay rate) if you compare to Metro locations for community.

I reckon a regional/rural position in either hospital or community could see you earning circa $100,000 though caveat being this could be 45-50 hours work in community and perhaps 38 hours hospital. This is a very liveable wage.

Bear in mind I've been in community now for 6 years in far north Queensland so my hospital knowledge is outdated...but the healthcare professional situation in regional areas is dire (shortages of doctors, nurses, pharmacists, allied health).