Heading back to the UK after 18 months of a living nightmare,

Fryertuck

Obviously posts are hitting the nerve a bit here and people feel the need to justify their sensitivity and thoughts. Personally if I had decided to return to the Uk for whatever reason I would not bare my sole on why, I would know why, and I would be off. The forum is all about helping people with run of the mill stuff really and if people want to put troubled threads on to a public forum then they are asking for public responses from people who do not know them and never will and these responses are not always going to be to the op's liking.

If one is a sensitive sole, read don't post on public forums.

As has been said there is a special closed forum for those that want to return to the UK and its not difficult to become a part of it.

But isn’t this at the very heart of most posts and threads…….’personally’? People write from their own perspective, sharing different views and experiences based on their feelings. Those MBTTUK share a common experience - they went to Aus and they are returning for all sorts of reasons, and if they choose to share those experiences with others, then MBTTUK is the part of the forum where they should be able to do it without having to constantly justify themselves.

No-one has to agree with everything that is written, but having a different point of view is not, imho, a reason to patronise or ridicule the posts of others. It is a shame that a ‘private’ section of MBTTUK is needed, but this thread is perhaps an example of the way threads in MBTTUK were regularly derailed before it existed. People’s character starts to be questioned, their focus, determination, things they value ………simply because they have posted about a decision to move from one country to another, in the hope of finding a life that fits better with how they want to live. A bit like people moving the other way really. And if I wasn’t comfortable reading those sorts of post, personally, I wouldn’t visit MBTTUK. Tx

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, we got sold the big picture about living in Oz, we have family in Brisbane we've been before and we knew what to expect or so we thought, so cutting to the edge, my wife and I are in management, me a PM in construction, my wife A HR consultant, I gave up getting a job after 150 plus applications, my wife gave up 120 both on seek and through networks, every time we had an interview we were told we lack QUEENSLAND EXPERIENCE, like we used to work in LONDON on mulit-million pound platforms, its the same systems in both our professions. So we sent money on courses, my wife joining the HR organisation and still no luck, and to be honest, unless you have a job secured in Australia, there job cuts every where here in Brisbane, we now have the 3 months of no employment because everyone basically takes 3 months off for holidays as it is so hot.

We've found it very boring, there are so many times you go to the park, or go swimming, everyone is in bed at 8:30 /9pm up at 4:30 /5am to beat the heat, we've done all the beaches, the whale watching, turtles, barrier reef, now were heading to wheat i can only say is not xmas, not as you know from the UK or we are customed too, the weather is lovely, you can't beat it, but meeting new friends, securing a job we've found impossible. were fed up renting, we pay more rent in 1 week then out mortgage in the UK, our car a 10 year old jeep cost us $20,000 dollars and its not about import taxes, the cost of living here is so extreme, so we are heading him win Jan 2014, were going to sydney for new year then heading home, i use the term home as we've never settled here, its a lovely place, but home its not, but being sold the big dream about lifestyle, easy jobs, great salary, living in the sun, no…sorry its not like, don't be fooled, great the job first, buy the house don't rent, then you maybe in a better situation, but a dream it hasn't been, but good luck to all who try..

Great post, I will reply before I read the other 150 responses.

just out of interest, do you think you would have stayed and enjoyed it if you had found suitable work?

I am a Mental health nurse. We lived on the Great Ocean Road for a year after a year working in Melbourne in applied for many many jobs. My applications were ignored, as were my phone calls and emails. When I asked people why this was (when I was suitably qualified at least for an interview....or certainly a response!) they told me that even Aussies can't get work there....you have to be born next to the hospital!

essentially it's just Aussie racism.

i agree with your comments about boredom. We thought it would be perfect living by the sea, but for how long can you walk along the same piece of beach every day with no real friends? Forever seemed like a long time, so we gave up after 2 years as well.

Edited by blobby1000

just out of interest, do you think you would have stayed and enjoyed it if you had found suitable work?

I am a Mental health nurse. We lived on the Great Ocean Road for a year after a year working in Melbourne in applied for many many jobs. My applications were ignored, as were my phone calls and emails. When I asked people why this was (when I was suitably qualified at least for an interview....or certainly a response!) they told me that even Aussies can't get work there....you have to be born next to the hospital!

i agree with your comments about boredom. We thought it would be perfect living by the sea, but for how long can you walk along the same piece of beach every day with no real friends? Forever seemed like a long time, so we gave up after 2 years as well.

I think that's the most important part of the move. Those who don't make a new social circle inevitably get bored/lonely and want to go home.

London would be boring if you have no friends so no doubt Adelaide/Perth/Brisbane etc would be

I think that's the most important part of the move. Those who don't make a new social circle inevitably get bored/lonely and want to go home.

London would be boring if you have no friends so no doubt Adelaide/Perth/Brisbane etc would be

And it is harder to do than people think! I've spoken to heaps of poms who say that is the one thing they struggled with the most, making decent friends! People just seem to be too wrapped up in their own lives.

And it is harder to do than people think! I've spoken to heaps of poms who say that is the one thing they struggled with the most, making decent friends! People just seem to be too wrapped up in their own lives.

Yeah I can imagine. I moved over to live with partner so had a ready made social circle and pretty much everyone ive met has been through that initial circle.

Not sure how I would have done knowing nobody!

I think that is a little harsh. If I was in the uk, aus or anyway employing someone for a long term role, I would employ the best person for the job who I thought would make it a career. Migrants will never be considered as stable as home grown talent. It's in the name. Even if they stay in the country, they may decide to try another part. Of course local talent will be given preference.

I think that is a little harsh. If I was in the uk, aus or anyway employing someone for a long term role, I would employ the best person for the job who I thought would make it a career. Migrants will never be considered as stable as home grown talent. It's in the name. Even if they stay in the country, they may decide to try another part. Of course local talent will be given preference.

How does that theory apply to the whole of my local area and everyone that serves me in a shop now seems to be english! It should be more about the right person for the company not necessarily where they are from as anyone can be trained, people from different areas can bring different ideas and ways of working which can benefit companies.

Having lived in both London and Perth for many years it is hard to compare. Friends are something else but the feeling of being part of something and making contact far easier than Australian cities in my experience. Far more diversity of style and opinion and places to meet.

IMO the density of London, allows folk to be less cautious of strangers, more street wise and easier to converse with.

I doubt whether real friendship is easy anywhere. But human contact certainly is.

I don't think it is so clear cut in the case of migrants. It can work for against in equal measure from my experience.

I agree and if anything has become even more so. Much in Australia revolves around family and house. Little in the way of chance encounters at least in comparison with Europe even on a casual basis. Ideal country to become a hermit in or at least a place for those that enjoy a large degree of solitude.

I agree and if anything has become even more so. Much in Australia revolves around family and house. Little in the way of chance encounters at least in comparison with Europe even on a casual basis. Ideal country to become a hermit in or at least a place for those that enjoy a large degree of solitude.

To be fair, most people approaching or in middle age are not actively recruiting new friends anyway. A lot of people on here complain about Australians seeming unwilling to make an effort to make new close friends - but when they were in the UK I doubt that they were going out of their way to befriend lots of new immigrants either.

Having lived in both London and Perth for many years it is hard to compare. Friends are something else but the feeling of being part of something and making contact far easier than Australian cities in my experience. Far more diversity of style and opinion and places to meet.

IMO the density of London, allows folk to be less cautious of strangers, more street wise and easier to converse with.

I doubt whether real friendship is easy anywhere. But human contact certainly is.

You are right. If the same proportion of Londoners lived in large detached houses their relationships with neighbours would probably be different. Also the greater reliance on car travel here does not help either - you are not running for the bus with the same people every day.

To be fair, most people approaching or in middle age are not actively recruiting new friends anyway. A lot of people on here complain about Australians seeming unwilling to make an effort to make new close friends - but when they were in the UK I doubt that they were going out of their way to befriend lots of new immigrants either.

I'm sure it is in a lot of areas but found it far less so in London. Always striking up some form of contact with strangers from being in a pub, to public transport, café or whatever. Of course was younger and far more forward (funny how OZ tends to make one more reserved)

I don 't expect close friends on my part. In OZ I do find reserved but also with not a lot to talk about.

And Yes had a lot of immigrant friends in London. More in fact than white English.

You are right. If the same proportion of Londoners lived in large detached houses their relationships with neighbours would probably be different. Also the greater reliance on car travel here does not help either - you are not running for the bus with the same people every day.

Same in Europe to an extent as cities have a greater human scale in their development. London was becoming less so with the greater wealth moving in as I was moving out.

How does that theory apply to the whole of my local area and everyone that serves me in a shop now seems to be english! It should be more about the right person for the company not necessarily where they are from as anyone can be trained, people from different areas can bring different ideas and ways of working which can benefit companies.

You probably wouldn't think of a shop worker as a career. There was a time when you could walk into any bar in the world and be served by an australian.

But how did they know I was not the best person for the job if they never returned my calls, let alone actually met me or saw me work?

Based on 2 years experience of working with Australian nurses, I would argue that I was at least worth a return phone call.

And your argument of preferring local talent...without actually speaking to a foreigner about an application....is just plain and simple racism.

Guest Guest 47403
But how did they know I was not the best person for the job if they never returned my calls, let alone actually met me or saw me work?

Based on 2 years experience of working with Australian nurses, I would argue that I was at least worth a return phone call.

And your argument of preferring local talent...without actually speaking to a foreigner about an application....is just plain and simple racism.

How is preferring to employ a local over a British migrant racism?

No it is nationalist. They wouldn't know your race from the application.

But I digress. I see this as no different to giving preference to people who live closer, rather than those who need to commute.

I think its more employers being practical rather than racism tbh ,i know its not great for migrants,but it doesn't surprise me

No it is nationalist. They wouldn't know your race from the application.

But I digress. I see this as no different to giving preference to people who live closer, rather than those who need to commute.

Really ..!! How about on the first page of applications where it ask for visa type...?

They are just as likely to want to employ a Citizen too, who could originally be from anywhere in the world . Lots of companies do it even the Civil Service do it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with looking after your own first. I'd go one step further and say some of the posts on here by people who can't get jobs, gives a pretty clear indication as to why perspective employers aren't interested especially if their CV's and covering letters are in the same vein !

Edited by Que Sera, Sera

How is preferring to employ a local over a British migrant racism?

the point is rather that you are supposed to have an "equal right or opportunity" to any work, which is not the case (but England is no different, however England doesn't want any professionals to go there). What is different however, that according to Immigration and Market figures Australia is in a desperate need of professionals. So it's a lie more or less. And someone, who spends thousands and a lot of effort to emigrate with the intention of helping Australia grow just to be bypassed by any and every means looking for ANY job is not just a slap on the face but truly wrong....

. And someone, who spends thousands and a lot of effort to emigrate with the intention of helping Australia grow just to be bypassed by any and every means looking for ANY job is not just a slap on the face but truly wrong....

Oh come on! Are you trying to say that people's motivation for emigrating is to help Australia???

according to Immigration and Market figures Australia is in a desperate need of professionals. So it's a lie more or less.

Yep, pretty much.

"We're moving to a high skill high-paid workforce where everyone has a 4x4 and a pool and no one has to collect the bins".

That's a lie too.

"who spends thousands and a lot of effort to emigrate with the intention of helping Australia grow"

Ooops, there's another.

Just have to dig a bit deeper and research will show that many Australians who have lived here all their lives and have the experience are treated exactly the same way. They just have so many applicants its like tatts picking out the ones they want and they have given up contacting all applicants.

We criticise people for playing the race card but we are just as good at it when things do not suit us.