Heading back to the UK after 18 months of a living nightmare,

Fryertuck

Aussie work experience is a total farce, its the same as everywhere else but there is no owning a problem or working hard involved like other places :-)

It is hard especially at the moment Australia wide as there heading on a downward trend, mining will soon not hold up the economy as it once did. In a couple of years I can foresee this place having a hard time with a lot more out of work. I'm in no doubt it will come back good but there will be a bust after this boom.

Moving here now is in some respects is the wrong time or side of the boom.

Housing is going to be the great saviour isn't it? Lower interest rates equate higher house prices equate far greater loans equate a life time paying the banks equate greater economic activity. No slacking off there.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's as accurate as the person writing it feels it is. How can it be a generalisation then? Perth can be deadly boring for many. If one doesn't like the heat then probably not the best place. It doesn't need to be constructive. Saying Perth is wonderful is equally on par as it is only what an impression.

I would never say that Perth was wonderful as someone would say it was boring, I might say...the beaches are wonderful just like someone would say 'the nightlife in the suburbs is boring' or those 40 d plus days are a killer..id agree with that but..its boring...and its too hot...just shows lack of thought to my mind...

I would never say that Perth was wonderful as someone would say it was boring, I might say...the beaches are wonderful just like someone would say 'the nightlife in the suburbs is boring' or those 40 d plus days are a killer..id agree with that but..its boring...and its too hot...just shows lack of thought to my mind...

To those weened on an urban environment Perth is at best dull. Little use beating about the bush about it. It is how it is and has been and likely will be. Those folk that crave the buzz and vibe of city life are better catered foe elsewhere.

So be it...its too busy for me...says it all doesnt it...I want to move somewhere a bit quieter...

I agree a matter of personal priorities. But I know the anguish living in big cities and the feeling of deadness coming to Perth. One adapts in a sense but the feeling of life passing by can be a feature of that. All the more reason folk should be aware of the sort of place they are coming to.

Guest Guest 47403
To those weened on an urban environment Perth is at best dull. Little use beating about the bush about it. It is how it is and has been and likely will be. Those folk that crave the buzz and vibe of city life are better catered foe elsewhere.

Don't generalize so much for some weened on an urban environment Perth might come as welcome relief to the hustle and bustle of a large city, everyone is different!

Well this is the very reason I always take the (sometimes unwelcome) stance of raising and frantically waving the red flag when I hear newbies talking about things such as; better life, easy jobs, great salary, living in the sun etc. Australia is just another first world country, it has all the challenges of a certain other first world country. It is important to be clear about reasons for moving and also to pick the spot appropriately ... on that note, perhaps Brisbane was not the best place for your skill sets and maybe Sydney / Melbourne would be better?

I agree.

I've said many times (on this forum) that it seems that one of the biggest reasons for migrants failing in employment is that they seem to be "boxed in"........................ The refusal to look ouside the sphere that one is trained/qualified in, equates to many a "missed opportunity" IMHO.

There are quite a number of PIO members who "wanted it so bad" that they re-trained or took/applied for jobs far below their level of expertise and who are now quite happy and settled here, despite having to "dump" their previous qualifications.....................................................my experience of, and assistance/advice given to...................Plumber/gas fitter working as storemen...................RNurses working as AIN's.....................team leader in disability support working as a Wardie..................all doing what needed to be done to "get a foot through the door" and all quite happy to do so. Most of them realised the futility of looking for work in their field within a short time frame of 3 months with the added pressure of money running out to spur them along. 18 months is a long time to not "get the message". I would advise any migrant who has not found employment in their field within 3 months to instantly seek employment in other fields, no matter how "lowly"...........once one is working, then one can always consider the search for the ideal employment.

With regards to the above...............IMHO/experience the act of continuing to look for employment only in one's area of expertise is a "Britsh Disease" (for want of better wording). Migrants from other countries seem to grab any employment at the first opportunity. I know of a doctors from the Philippines working as an AIN and a research scientist working as a deckhand.................many more examples from my wife's colleagues (Philippinos, Croatians, Islanders etc) who all did "menial' work until such time as they landed a nursing job.

Of course this assumes that adds up to a life you want. For many a "menial" job in Australia may still add up to something better than a professional job at home but I think that is incredibly unlikely for most people from the UK who already have a high quality of life.

Of course having made the move, you do what you need to do to keep the wolf from the door - I had a professional women in my team who was doing a paper round (I kid not!) to bring in extra money whilst her OH found employment.

A temporary blip in their case but to suggest that Australia is somehow worth doing a "menial" job for is just wrong IMHO.

Worth migrants knowing though that this may be what they are signing up for so a very valuable post.

Don't generalize so much for some weened on an urban environment Perth might come as welcome relief to the hustle and bustle of a large city, everyone is different!

It'll be interesting to see what you think after you've lived there a while - I thought like you when I was back in the UK - craved a 'laid back' life but after 4 years I was bored stiff.

You need to adapt to what WA offers which to coin a local phrase is 'boating, camping, fishing' - if that's your kind of lifestyle then you'll love it. I you can adapt that lifestyle then you might love it too. I was partly too old but mainly too broke all the time to embrace new hobbies.

The only other alternative is eating and drinking which ranks pretty high on the boring scale as far as I'm concerned but each to their own.

Guest Guest 47403
It'll be interesting to see what you think after you've lived there a while - I thought like you when I was back in the UK - craved a 'laid back' life but after 4 years I was bored stiff.

You need to adapt to what WA offers which to coin a local phrase is 'boating, camping, fishing' - if that's your kind of lifestyle then you'll love it. I you can adapt that lifestyle then you might love it too. I was partly too old but mainly too broke all the time to embrace new hobbies.

The only other alternative is eating and drinking which ranks pretty high on the boring scale as far as I'm concerned but each to their own.

You assume to much who said I was moving to Perth?

I could say similar about Scotland rains to much to often and once you've admired the beautiful scenery and had a day in Edinburgh it's a bit boring but I won't because I don't like to generalise and respect where people choose to live.

Careful LR your gradually turning into a hater your posts are getting more and more negative since you've returned!

I could say similar about Scotland rains to much to often and once you've admired the beautiful scenery and had a day in Edinburgh it's a bit boring but I won't because I don't like to generalise and respect where people choose to live.

Careful LR your gradually turning into a hater your posts are getting more and more negative since you've returned!

OMG bazza are you on a sponsored PIO-a-thon!??

I did assume you were moving to Perth from your comment.

I don't think my comments are unduly negative - I didn't mix much with poms in Perth (my choice) and the Australians I met were very much into the BCF lifestyle - I totally accept responsibility for not embracing that - anyone moving there that is into that kind of life style will love it. Nothing negative about that.

I also take personal responsibility for finding 'eating and drinking' as entertainment boring - like I said each to their own.

Anyone that moves to Scotland who is put off by rain would be foolish to move there and would have to take personal responsibilty for that.

It's all about matching the lifestyle you want with the location best placed to provide it - no one right place for everyone I'd be the first to agree. Nothing disrespectful in saying I found Perth boring - wrong to say it IS boring.

I genuinely think it'll be interesting to see how your journey unfolds - anyone can be a Aussie lover when they don't live there - I was :)

I consider myself lucky then to get a job in 2 weeks of arriving in Melbourne over 5 years ago in a field that i love and which paid more than than my current job does now . However, I've had to put up with a lot of crap, changed job 5 times in 2 years and moving to Brisbane was the best thing we have done. I too found the needs Aussie experience annoying and it really is an excuse most of the time but a lot of employers also wanted me for my UK experience so it works both ways.

A temporary blip in their case but to suggest that Australia is somehow worth doing a "menial" job for is just wrong IMHO.

I didn't suggest anything of the sort (I thought). What I did suggest was an alternative to those who struggle finding employment in their field.................that they look at a "stop gap" until such time as what suits comes along.............and who knows? That 'stop gap" may just end up being a job that they enjoy, as is the case with more than a few PIO members. If they don't think living in Oz is worth a change of career, or a temorary position in another field, then that's their business, but......................at what cosdt to their savings if they do wish to retuen to the UK?

Edited by Johndoe

BS to go out and deliver papers and live the dream, don't think so.

It's better to have tried and returned with head held high. Than to chase a dream that doesn't exist.

That is the operative word - try. Do what it takes. Sitting back and expecting things to happen as a right - well, the Chinese proverb tells of the hunter who waits for rabbits to knock themselves out on a tree. And the dream not tried for remains a dream, not a reality. Return not having done your all, and your head will never be held high. But you might have lots of excuses.

BS to go out and deliver papers and live the dream, don't think so.

It's better to have tried and returned with head held high. Than to chase a dream that doesn't exist.

Just shows people are different...are you saying it was a bad thing? It gave him a purpose and he felt he was contributing to society and the household loose change too....I have the same outlook, I took a job as a scrubber when I was briefly out of work as a younger woman....being too proud has contributed to the 'failure' of some migrants in establishing them selves here maybe?