Heading back to the UK after 18 months of a living nightmare,

Fryertuck

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, we got sold the big picture about living in Oz, we have family in Brisbane we've been before and we knew what to expect or so we thought, so cutting to the edge, my wife and I are in management, me a PM in construction, my wife A HR consultant, I gave up getting a job after 150 plus applications, my wife gave up 120 both on seek and through networks, every time we had an interview we were told we lack QUEENSLAND EXPERIENCE, like we used to work in LONDON on mulit-million pound platforms, its the same systems in both our professions. So we sent money on courses, my wife joining the HR organisation and still no luck, and to be honest, unless you have a job secured in Australia, there job cuts every where here in Brisbane, we now have the 3 months of no employment because everyone basically takes 3 months off for holidays as it is so hot.

We've found it very boring, there are so many times you go to the park, or go swimming, everyone is in bed at 8:30 /9pm up at 4:30 /5am to beat the heat, we've done all the beaches, the whale watching, turtles, barrier reef, now were heading to wheat i can only say is not xmas, not as you know from the UK or we are customed too, the weather is lovely, you can't beat it, but meeting new friends, securing a job we've found impossible. were fed up renting, we pay more rent in 1 week then out mortgage in the UK, our car a 10 year old jeep cost us $20,000 dollars and its not about import taxes, the cost of living here is so extreme, so we are heading him win Jan 2014, were going to sydney for new year then heading home, i use the term home as we've never settled here, its a lovely place, but home its not, but being sold the big dream about lifestyle, easy jobs, great salary, living in the sun, no…sorry its not like, don't be fooled, great the job first, buy the house don't rent, then you maybe in a better situation, but a dream it hasn't been, but good luck to all who try..

My Aussie friends have lived in QLD for 15 years and he is also in construction like you. He has worked for so many companies in that time, they come and they go. He was fortunate to work for a friend when he first went to QLD otherwise it would have been the same for him as he is from Victoria. He has got all his jobs because people actually have worked with him on site and know his work and this is so important evidently here. Word of mouth is a very much the go in a lot of jobs in Aus and I am sure its the same in the UK or any other country. Its all about local experience.

As for HR I think that we have so many people in uni coming out of uni and working in this industry that it would be hard. Also the fact that HR often know people in companies etc etc so its going to be hard. Graduates are cheaper.

Its not Australia its lack of Australian experience.

Have you looked interstate for a job or thought of doing a rural project usually jobs in those.

Sorry Rupert, You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

You really have no idea how impossible it is to secure a job here when you live in another country. As an employer myself, there is no way I would consider giving a job to someone from 12,000 miles away sight unseen when I can see a local within a couple of days of application.

Tony.

I think Rupert knows what she's talking about.

Rupert's post is right, just because some people have no success in getting a job does not mean that ëveryone"who migrates is going to have the same trouble. It really depends what you do for a crust. If you are in a popular job , then that job is a popular job for Aussies as well and as has been said by others in the thread, why not pick an Aussie. They speak the lingo, they know the ropes and they are not going to get up the locals noses.

Everyone knows that construction is up and down and sometimes its all go and sometimes its not, at the no go times, the unions have their say and lets face it how many project managers does one construction company need. Same with the HR how man consultants does a company need. It means that local skilled people are thick on the ground as well.

Unfortunately people think because their skill is on the list it will guarantee them a job in Aus. Its been found by many many migrants that this is not the case. The list seems to bear no resemblance to local needs at times. Its also because a lot of the need for migrants is in the areas where migrants do not want to live. Nor do the locals and they have the edge. Why would a construction company pick someone who has no local knowledge of the concrete suppliers, the other suppliers, the unions all that stuff, when they can get a home grown project manager who knows these people.

Migrants need to think outside the square, the square is full and the space is on the outside the square for a lot of occupations.

Even medical gets thin on the ground, for instance we have too many radiographers in Melbourne at the present time.

However they are probably needed in the country areas.

It's obvious that the OP needed to look at taking a step back career wise to get on the ladder and have Aussie work experience . Sometimes it's something that you have to do. If your not prepared to do that that's fine but it might be a good idea to think about it before you make the move . Sometimes peoples attitudes when posting actually give some insight as to why no one wants to employ them .

Edited by Que Sera, Sera

You really have no idea how impossible it is to secure a job here when you live in another country. .

Errrrrrrrrrm? Thousands do via 457's/video interviews etc.....................harder than PR?....................perhaps........................impossible?...............far from it.

I've said many times (on this forum) that it seems that one of the biggest reasons for migrants failing in employment is that they seem to be "boxed in"........................ The refusal to look ouside the sphere that one is trained/qualified in, equates to many a "missed opportunity" IMHO.

There are quite a number of PIO members who "wanted it so bad" that they re-trained or took/applied for jobs far below their level of expertise and who are now quite happy and settled here, despite having to "dump" their previous qualifications.....................................................my experience of, and assistance/advice given to...................Plumber/gas fitter working as storemen...................RNurses working as AIN's.....................team leader in disability support working as a Wardie..................all doing what needed to be done to "get a foot through the door" and all quite happy to do so. Most of them realised the futility of looking for work in their field within a short time frame of 3 months with the added pressure of money running out to spur them along. 18 months is a long time to not "get the message". I would advise any migrant who has not found employment in their field within 3 months to instantly seek employment in other fields, no matter how "lowly"...........once one is working, then one can always consider the search for the ideal employment.

With regards to the above...............IMHO/experience the act of continuing to look for employment only in one's area of expertise is a "Britsh Disease" (for want of better wording). Migrants from other countries seem to grab any employment at the first opportunity. I know of a doctors from the Philippines working as an AIN and a research scientist working as a deckhand.................many more examples from my wife's colleagues (Philippinos, Croatians, Islanders etc) who all did "menial' work until such time as they landed a nursing job.

IMHO/experience the act of continuing to look for employment only in one's area of expertise is a "Britsh Disease" (for want of better wording).

The OPs' story is certainly a thoughtful read. I agree that to keep the wolf from the door you have to do whatever needs doing and is available.

The question is though, how many of the doctors who took jobs as orderlies are now back working as doctors? I'd also agree that here in Oz the chances for vertical jumps both up and down are better. But often your qualis can be a hindrance. Potential employers for menial jobs argue (quite rightly) that you're only filling in til something better comes along. And there can be some snob factor at play along the lines of "if this guy's so good, why is he working in a coffee shop?"

I think if you're happy to start a totally new career on the bottom rung, then there really are good opportunities here. If you're at the top of your game then often your skills are so unique that you can also get in. The middle tier is really under the pump though. Partially due to the current economic phase mentioned in the OP.

But often your qualis can be a hindrance. Potential employers for menial jobs argue (quite rightly) that you're only filling in til something better comes along. And there can be some snob factor at play along the lines of "if this guy's so good, why is he working in a coffee shop?"

Agreed, but if one doesn't even consider taking a 'step down", then one will never know. In the case of the plumber/gas fitter switching to storeman (plumbing supplies), he simply said that he wanted to 'come off the tools' ...........he always intended to continue searching for a job in his trade, but as it turned out, he loved the storeman's job so much, that he won't now go back on the tools.

In the case of the doctor, she was "straight up" and honest at interview, saying that the job was just a "stop gap" untill her accredition was cleared, although she did emphasise that the role would familiarise her with the Aussie health system. Just as well they found her attitude refreshing as her accreditaion took 9 months!

With regards to the recent cuts in the Public health system, I know of at least 8 RN's working as AIN's. PIO member Generalis, who was a PA to a politician in the UK but couldn't find work here, re-trained as an EN. She took a further "step down" when she realised no EN posts were available and took a post as an AIN. After 6 months in that position she is now working in an EN position and next march will also commence a course of study for RN..............she also has two young kids and works shifts around them..................that's commitment!

The OPs' story is certainly a thoughtful read. I agree that to keep the wolf from the door you have to do whatever needs doing and is available.

The question is though, how many of the doctors who took jobs as orderlies are now back working as doctors? I'd also agree that here in Oz the chances for vertical jumps both up and down are better. But often your qualis can be a hindrance. Potential employers for menial jobs argue (quite rightly) that you're only filling in til something better comes along. And there can be some snob factor at play along the lines of "if this guy's so good, why is he working in a coffee shop?"

I think if you're happy to start a totally new career on the bottom rung, then there really are good opportunities here. If you're at the top of your game then often your skills are so unique that you can also get in. The middle tier is really under the pump though. Partially due to the current economic phase mentioned in the OP.

This is spot on. I'm in a similar boat to the OP's other half (I think) - who is HR Consultant for a financial services company. In order to get to such a position I'd imagine she's been working her way up in a Corporate setting for at least 15 years.

She can't go for junior HR roles as employers will go for younger & cheaper, grads etc. Despite having a number of transferable skills in the corporate world, not only has she not done the job of ......... before, but she doesn't have the local experience or network. So thats a no go as well.

Then she thinks - I know, I'll try and just get a casual job, admin, even work in a cafe / bar. No go there either, too experienced for admin, not done any bar work for 15 years since Uni (THIS IS ME!!!).

I completely understand their frustrations - I don't know whether they have looked for lesser / more menial jobs etc, but I have - and short of getting a commission only sales job or door to door sales, there really isn't much around, trust me.

I really feel for you. There is the real sell on Australia at the moment. Makes me angry to see Phil Spencer spouting how great it is to move to Australia. What a load of crap. Once people come out here they soon realise how very boring the lifestyle here is. It's ok if you want to live on the beach and get skin cancer, but other than that there's not much else. I'm Australian and my mum was born in Bristol, England. She moved to Australia in 1950. If you thought Australia is bad now, just imagine was a hole is was in the 1950's. My dream is to live in England. Mum is 91yo and still considers herself to be English. She never has, and never will become an Australian national. In fact she hates the place. I'm seriously thinking of moving with my mum back to England. I know that mum hasn't got long, but I know she'd rather die in England than here. It's a joke that Australia won't accept "foreign" qualifications and that English people have to jump through hoops to get a job. It's just not worth it. It's just too bloody hot in Summer (which includes "Spring" as well). All anyone does is go to the shopping centres to escape the heat. I'm 47yo and I'm still not "acclimatised" to the heat. As for the attitude that most Australians have towards the English, calling them Pommy B**stards is very offensive and makes my blood boil. They have no respect. Anyway, that's my rant for today. Now, I'm going to research going back to England.

I really feel for you. There is the real sell on Australia at the moment. Makes me angry to see Phil Spencer spouting how great it is to move to Australia. What a load of crap. Once people come out here they soon realise how very boring the lifestyle here is. It's ok if you want to live on the beach and get skin cancer, but other than that there's not much else. I'm Australian and my mum was born in Bristol, England. She moved to Australia in 1950. If you thought Australia is bad now, just imagine was a hole is was in the 1950's. My dream is to live in England. Mum is 91yo and still considers herself to be English. She never has, and never will become an Australian national. In fact she hates the place. I'm seriously thinking of moving with my mum back to England. I know that mum hasn't got long, but I know she'd rather die in England than here. It's a joke that Australia won't accept "foreign" qualifications and that English people have to jump through hoops to get a job. It's just not worth it. It's just too bloody hot in Summer (which includes "Spring" as well). All anyone does is go to the shopping centres to escape the heat. I'm 47yo and I'm still not "acclimatised" to the heat. As for the attitude that most Australians have towards the English, calling them Pommy B**stards is very offensive and makes my blood boil. They have no respect. Anyway, that's my rant for today. Now, I'm going to research going back to England.

I agree Australia is being grossly oversold these last few years. Our population growth is akin to a developing world status country in a race to add many millions in order to keep the housing market afloat.

But you are in a position having an English mother that you could live in England surely? I wouldn't wait too long with the dollar being talked down on a daily basis.

What are you on about? Rupert said nothing about securing a job whilst overseas. Perhaps try reading her post again before replying to it..

Hey guys - and Rupert especially apologies-put the wrong quote up there, I'll redo it.

Now I can't find the original post-they said get a job before leaving the UK-virtually impossible.

Tony

Edited by vidtek

I'm from Bristol England born and bred Bristolian. Bristol of the 1950s to what it is now is hugely different. I won't slag it off because it's my home town but please don't think that it's going to solve any issues you currently have. Fab first post by the way! Mmmmmm

Edited by Que Sera, Sera

So much hate going on. Australia is a great place to live in the right circumstances with the right support/job/ home/ family circumstances...if there are issues you're not happy with then changing the 'place' isnt going to make you any happier at all...

I don't see hate but disagreeable experiences. It can happen everywhere but good to remind folk that Australia is far from assured being a success on all/any fronts. Changing the location can certainly lead to greater contentment. You can read that yourself on PIO Forum or other related places.

Besides have met numerous folk both ex pat and Aussie that have found far greater contentment in other countries, not necessary UK though......

Guest Guest66881

Why go back to the place you so desperately wanted to leave in the first place, why not go to another country or better still a different part of Britain?

Well. You should fit right into the uk well. Good luck with the move.

You know that you can now apply for UK citizenship by descent through the UKM process (change in the law in 2010)? Just in case you don't yet have it of course!

I understand your mum - she probably would love to return whence she came for her final breaths but unless she is very hale and hearty she's probably doomed to spend the rest of her days where she has never belonged.

Same old same old though..generalisations...too hot in summer...boring...its not exactly constructive...or accurate. Like saying UK....going to dogs..or gone...freezing all the time, constantly pissing it down...see what I mean? Her opinion though and she's entitled to it...just as we all are...

Aussie work experience is a total farce, its the same as everywhere else but there is no owning a problem or working hard involved like other places :-)

It is hard especially at the moment Australia wide as there heading on a downward trend, mining will soon not hold up the economy as it once did. In a couple of years I can foresee this place having a hard time with a lot more out of work. I'm in no doubt it will come back good but there will be a bust after this boom.

Moving here now is in some respects is the wrong time or side of the boom.

Aussie work experience is a total farce, its the same as everywhere else but there is no owning a problem or working hard involved like other places :-)

It is hard especially at the moment Australia wide as there heading on a downward trend, mining will soon not hold up the economy as it once did. In a couple of years I can foresee this place having a hard time with a lot more out of work. I'm in no doubt it will come back good but there will be a bust after this boom.

Moving here now is in some respects is the wrong time or side of the boom.

Ive heard this post about once a month on here for the last 5 years.

Same old same old though..generalisations...too hot in summer...boring...its not exactly constructive...or accurate. Like saying UK....going to dogs..or gone...freezing all the time, constantly pissing it down...see what I mean? Her opinion though and she's entitled to it...just as we all are...

It's as accurate as the person writing it feels it is. How can it be a generalisation then? Perth can be deadly boring for many. If one doesn't like the heat then probably not the best place. It doesn't need to be constructive. Saying Perth is wonderful is equally on par as it is only what an impression.