Securing long term Rental in WA, can I ask for some advice?

Nomicon

This thread has been really useful.

We are planning on landing in Oz - jobs permitting - August/September 2014.

Where is the best place to look for short-term lets? We will have 2 cats and a dog with us.

Thanks for the advice

xx

There will probably be in quarantine while you are in short term accomodation

We found our current short term let via a lot of google searches. If I recall.

In South Yunderup just outside Mandurah, 3 bed holiday villa for $150 a night.

We just signed the lease on the first property we actually applied for. We did have to put three months rent down to off set the lack of rental history.

Moving in on the 15th Feb. Cannot wait to actually start life out here.

South Yunderuo whist lovely is very much out in the sticks so you will need a car just to warn you.. The Sandy Cove Tavern is lovely though :wink:

Is a bit removed yes, however we bought a Nissan patrol before we had to hand back the hire car.

And funny you should mention that tavern, I am holding a business card for just that establishment... Haha.

Hi, I am just reading as much information as I can prior to our reckie this summer. Thinking about looking at areas in Perth prior to our move. We just got PR last month but need to sell up before we move.

I have just googled the 100 points of ID and have a question. When we first land, how do we gain any of the items needed for the 30 points section? We will get 70 points for passport etc. But how about anything with an address or ... for an employer i assume it is supposed to be an Australian employer?

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Name and address of person verified from any of the following:

• A current employer, or a previous employer within the last 2 years
  • A rating authority (e.g. land rates)
  • The Credit Reference Association of Australia (subject to the Privacy Act 1988)
  • Land Titles Office Records

[/TD]

[TD]35 Points[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

So basically, what documents do i need to make sure we have to be able to sort out a rental property?

Thanks

For us, the villa's allowed us to use their address. They printed out an invoice listing our address. Then took this to the bank and updated our accounts.

Then asked for a printed statement. The rental agencies and Medicare etc seem happy enough with this as proof of address.

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]

• A current employer, or a previous employer within the last 2 years

[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Does this mean you can just use an old letter from your UK employer addressed to your old address in the UK, provided it has your name on it? Presumably you could then also use Council Tax bills from the UK? (it says you can use Aus rates bills ("a rating authority, e.g. land rates") and obviously a newly-landed immigrant won't have Aus rates yet, so surely this would be acceptable...?

Cheers, I-F

Our list comprised of:

Birth Certificates,

UK Driving License,

UK Passports,

Bank Statement showing Australian address,

Letter of Employment (Australian Nursing Agency)

Evidence of hourly rate of pay (Proof of affordability)

Copy of Australian Visa,

UK Mortgage statement showing regular payments etc,

UK bank account statement showing funds,

"Tenant Pack" (Basic outline of who we are, what we are doing in Australia, pics of the house we own in the UK, blurb about how we understand the importance of finding reliable tenants etc)

And two personal references for EACH adult (I would recommend you get to know some Australians if you don't already, as it can delay the referencing process as it means UK residents are emailed etc and I would fully expect this to equal a negative on the application)

Probably missed something, but we went with the "shotgun to kill a fly" approach as we really did not want to be left on the street at the end of the short term rental. :laugh:

It worked however, first property we applied for we got so there has to be some merit to the madness.