Securing long term Rental in WA, can I ask for some advice?

Nomicon

Well, we have PR, know a few areas we would be happy living in. Thanks to a recon trip in June this year and copious amounts of google and streetview.

Narrowed down a few houses we want to apply for, however using the "1Form" there is a section under property inspection thats causing me grief:

Property InspectionHave you inspected this property? Please Select... I declare that I have physically inspected the inside of this property An associate/other occupant has inspected the property on my behalf

Inspection Date

Property Inspection Code - Given to you at the inspection by the managing agent

Now, we have not and will not be able to inspect the property, however given the number of photo's provided etc I am happy to agree to rent sight unseen.

However I am sure this will result in the application being binned..

We are prepared to pay 3 months rent up front if it sways the decision. We are also keeping our home in the UK, renting it out via an agent and intend to do so for the foreseeable future.

Are there any tips or suggested work arounds to the problem?

We are flying on the 16th Jan, have short term accommodation booked for 4 nights, are we being overly optimistic thinking we can secure a long term rental prior to arrival? In other circumstances I would just book into a youth hostel till we sign a tenancy agreement, however I am flying out with 4 children and my wife.

Any help is appreciated.

Also to add, we are looking at the Halls Head/Dawesville area. I have sent a few cursory emails to agents and called a few however things seem to be very slow moving, if at all.

W.

Are there any tips or suggested work arounds to the problem?

We are flying on the 16th Jan, have short term accommodation booked for 4 nights, are we being overly optimistic thinking we can secure a long term rental prior to arrival? In other circumstances I would just book into a youth hostel till we sign a tenancy agreement, however I am flying out with 4 children and my wife.

Any help is appreciated.

Also to add, we are looking at the Halls Head/Dawesville area. I have sent a few cursory emails to agents and called a few however things seem to be very slow moving, if at all.

The 100% correct way: Get someone to attend on your behalf, if you don't know anyone put an ad on gumtree.

Otherwise: Call them up and ask for the code, unless the inspection is by appointment only this should be the least of your problems. Actually getting the contract approved without being present will be much more difficult. Not that I would recommend signing a long term lease without seeing the property.

Edited by Joanna82

Its a bit risky renting unseen. I have seen quite a lot of houses that look great in pics but are not so great in real life and once that leased is signed you would have a battle to get out of it.

Either pay a relo agent or someone to inspect on your behalf or book some temp accommodation for a week or two until you can inspect and secure a longer term let yourself in person.

Cal x

Thanks for the replies, using the 1Form online, you are asked to upload various documents for the 100point check. So that shouldn't be a problem.

I will try speaking with another couple of agents and see if they are willing to work with me on this.

To be honest, I doubt there would be much that could put us off a property once in. Besides, worst case scenario, we hate it. I am sure I can suck it up for 6-12 months. Hell, I have spent near enough three years living 15miles from Bradford.

While I realise that actually signing a lease is not something I can do from the UK, I was hoping to have everything drawn up and prepared so when we land it's a quick trip to the office, read/sign/collect keys and get on with life.

As a total ballpark figure, how long does it normally take to secure one? Assuming you have the references/documentation/etc in order? The actual time from saying "yes I want this, here are the details" to moving in?

If it comes down to it, I will just spend more on a short term rental and extend our stay.

I thought that it was a legal requirement that you actually live here before you can get a long term rental ?

If that is true, then it's not really an issue, we have permanent residency, arriving on the 17th Jan, have a short term rental booked at the moment, so technically I won't be securing the long term rental till documents are signed. Everything up to that point can be done before hand, can't it?

You might be able to do that in a private rental, but I don't think you'd be able to do it through a real estate agent. Our friends looked at lots of properties before they found something suitable, you really do need to look at them.

It is a legal requirement for agents that you view the property beforehand

I see, I suppose that feeds into the tenancy agreement where it states something along the lines of "accept the condition of property as is" to cover the agents arse in the event it's all clever photo's.

Pants.

Guess it means longer in a short term rental paying silly money for it.

Anyone know the rough timescales involved? Assuming you apply for one and are accepted etc.

I dont know why you bothered asking for advice cos you obviously are not willing to listen! If you end up in a dump in Bogan Central cant blame anyone but yourself

I fail to see where I am not listening to advice, I accept that I probably won't be able to waltz straight into a property upon arrival. However I am asking if it is possible to do most of the ground work prior to landing, thereby minimising the time spent paying through the nose for short term rentals.

We recently secured a long term rental in melbourne so it may be slightly different to WA, we viewed the property at an open inspection along with 10-12 other people who I think all submitted application forms to the agent during the viewing. We found out the next day that we were sucessfull, paid the bond and signed paperwork 5 days later and then moved in a week later when the landlord hand competed some work on the house.

I suppose it depends on how sought after the area is and how busy the open inspection is but I wouldn't think that an agent would hold a property for you and wait for you to arrive and sign paperwork if there are other potential tenants who can sign and pay the bond within a couple of days and move straight in. Our landlord was non negotiable on the day the lease started as he wanted his rent paid.

We recently secured a long term rental in melbourne so it may be slightly different to WA, we viewed the property at an open inspection along with 10-12 other people who I think all submitted application forms to the agent during the viewing. We found out the next day that we were sucessfull, paid the bond and signed paperwork 5 days later and then moved in a week later when the landlord hand competed some work on the house.

I suppose it depends on how sought after the area is and how busy the open inspection is but I wouldn't think that an agent would hold a property for you and wait for you to arrive and sign paperwork if there are other potential tenants who can sign and pay the bond within a couple of days and move straight in. Our landlord was non negotiable on the day the lease started as he wanted his rent paid.

Thanks for the reply, there are a few we are interested in that are available from Jan-mid Jan. Also the market seems fairly slow on some of the properties, there are still a few up from my visit in June.. Obviously a likely combination of rent too high/area etc

Unfortunately January is one of the worst times to arrive in terms if competition. So many families arrive that time because of the school holidays . It seems a luck of the draw sometimes. We got one within 2 weeks but we arrived July and didn't have small children or pets. The first house we looked at. However I know others that gave tried 10-20 properties. It will depend if the suburb you choose has a popular school amongst other things.

I fail to see where I am not listening to advice, I accept that I probably won't be able to waltz straight into a property upon arrival. However I am asking if it is possible to do most of the ground work prior to landing, thereby minimising the time spent paying through the nose for short term rentals.

Our friends managed in 4 weeks, viewed about 7 properties.

why not just get a short term apartment for a few weeks until you find somewhere.

There are a lot of people loosing work here at the moment and lots moving on which has opened up the property market and prices have come down. Boom has well and truly finished, bust is on its way but not for a few years just yet.

Areas a year ago we thought we couldn't live in are now opening up in Perth. Properties lying empty all over.

As a result I would wait till you get here anyway. Agent web sites are still advertising at full price where as there are lots on gumtree and some with signs outside the front.

Basically hold your horses and stop getting over excited :-)

It is a legal requirement for agents that you view the property beforehand

Quite correct. We were told this too so had to wait until we got here to secure one. As we were concerned, my husband flew out 3 weeks before the children and I came and as a result managed to secure a rental for us to move into a week after we arrived.

Thanks for the reply, there are a few we are interested in that are available from Jan-mid Jan. Also the market seems fairly slow on some of the properties, there are still a few up from my visit in June.. Obviously a likely combination of rent too high/area etc

Just wait. If anything you see online now is still there when you arrive, then there is a very, very good reason for that.

Thanks again for the replies, after a few calls last night and this morning, actually managed to get through to a few letting managers or some such. When I asked about the legal requirement to view a property before renting it, they had to put me on hold for a min while she went to ask... However yes, you are quite correct it is a requirement to view before renting.

As a result I am just going to extend our short term rental a few more weeks and take it from there once we land. A week or two before hand I will scour the market and narrow down options/arrange viewings for the day after we land so I can hit the ground running.

Just such a difference from the UK in terms of procedures, quite eye opening.

Thanks again for the replies, after a few calls last night and this morning, actually managed to get through to a few letting managers or some such. When I asked about the legal requirement to view a property before renting it, they had to put me on hold for a min while she went to ask... However yes, you are quite correct it is a requirement to view before renting.

As a result I am just going to extend our short term rental a few more weeks and take it from there once we land. A week or two before hand I will scour the market and narrow down options/arrange viewings for the day after we land so I can hit the ground running.

Id give it a few days to get your head around where you are first. You won't get a feel for the suburb straight away and you'll have jet lag with 4 kids! Do drive byes by all means but I wouldn't arrange viewings that quickly after landing.

Edited by Que Sera, Sera

Another thing you need to know is that it is very rare for them to do house viewings. They have home opens on specific days, at specific times and everyone who is interested turns up and has a look round. The home opens are advertised on the real estate agents website and sites such as http://www.realestate.com.au and http://www.reiwa.com.au. If you have not already got an application pack, you can get one from the real estate agent who will be there. If it is a lunchtime viewing, you generally have until 5pm the following afternoon to get your application in. If it is at a weekend you generally have until 5pm the following Monday to get your application in.

In the majority of cases you also have to put down a bond at this point. The owner then has 3 days to make a decision as to who to rent the property to. If you are successful you are informed and the money you have put down (generally equivalent to 1 weeks rent) is held by the agent and used as your first weeks' rent. If you are unsuccessful you get the bond back. If you are successful and decide that you do not want the property, the property owner gets to keep the bond. This is done to try and dissuade people from putting in offers on multiple houses - thus saving the agent the annoyance of having to do multiple home opens.

We were amazed at how different renting was here compared to the UK. However I thought I would give you the heads up to save you a lot of wasted phonecalls in the days before you come out here.

Another thing you need to know is that it is very rare for them to do house viewings. They have home opens on specific days, at specific times and everyone who is interested turns up and has a look round. The home opens are advertised on the real estate agents website and sites such as www.realestate.com.au and www.reiwa.com.au. If you have not already got an application pack, you can get one from the real estate agent who will be there. If it is a lunchtime viewing, you generally have until 5pm the following afternoon to get your application in. If it is at a weekend you generally have until 5pm the following Monday to get your application in.

In the majority of cases you also have to put down a bond at this point. The owner then has 3 days to make a decision as to who to rent the property to. If you are successful you are informed and the money you have put down (generally equivalent to 1 weeks rent) is held by the agent and used as your first weeks' rent. If you are unsuccessful you get the bond back. If you are successful and decide that you do not want the property, the property owner gets to keep the bond. This is done to try and dissuade people from putting in offers on multiple houses - thus saving the agent the annoyance of having to do multiple home opens.

We were amazed at how different renting was here compared to the UK. However I thought I would give you the heads up to save you a lot of wasted phonecalls in the days before you come out here.

Much appreciated.

I had a recon trip in June and managed to arrange about 6 viewings, one was an open day however some of the agents were happy enough to show me round the houses and talk about areas etc.

The weeks bond thing is a new one on me, I assumed you would only part money once accepted, I suppose it is a highly effective way of preventing mass spamming of applications.

I have read somewhere on here that it can sometimes work in your advantage if you were to compile a "Tenant pack", with an overview of who you as a tenant are, family etc and if you own a property in the UK, pictures of it etc to show you are not a complete non entity. Did anyone else do this or hear anyone else doing so?

I now want to be able to walk into a open day/viewing and be in the best possible position when they review the applications.

The difference is almost night and day compared to the UK rental market, we have just gone through marketing our property.

Much appreciated.

I had a recon trip in June and managed to arrange about 6 viewings, one was an open day however some of the agents were happy enough to show me round the houses and talk about areas etc.

The weeks bond thing is a new one on me, I assumed you would only part money once accepted, I suppose it is a highly effective way of preventing mass spamming of applications.

I have read somewhere on here that it can sometimes work in your advantage if you were to compile a "Tenant pack", with an overview of who you as a tenant are, family etc and if you own a property in the UK, pictures of it etc to show you are not a complete non entity. Did anyone else do this or hear anyone else doing so?

I now want to be able to walk into a open day/viewing and be in the best possible position when they review the applications.

The difference is almost night and day compared to the UK rental market, we have just gone through marketing our property.

Yes we had a pack prepared which also included bank statements, a copy of my husbands job offer and information/photos of our house in the UK. We also offered $20 per week more than the owner was asking for and offered to pay 3 months rent up front. We were led to believe that loads of people had applied for the house but when we moved out (we bought our own place very quickly), we found out that only 3 people had applied and we were selected because we offered $20 per week more than the rent requested. Nobody else did.

Incidentally, we were not required to pay the 3 months in advance. I am not sure whether or not this was a cock up on the part of the agent or not. However, we did have the money available if required.