457 visa buying property

barnabus72

Here's a question - what happens if you own a house here on a 457 visa and suddenly were to lose your sponsorship and were given 90 days to leave the country.

would we be allowed to keep it and rent it out, or would we have to sell ? If we had to sell, how long do we get to sell it ?

we would really like to buy a house but scared to in case we had to leave and might lose all our capital.

thanks in advance

You would be able to keep your house just like any other foreign investor as I think that is how you will be classed on a 457. There should be no issues with renting it out either.

Hmmm you need to check this as I was under the impression that things were slightly different to this if you are only a temporary visa holder... you can buy a house for sure, not so sure about keeping it to rent out once no longer holding a valid visa to live here.

Hopefully some more people will chip in about this.... not saying I'm right about what I'm saying by the way, but I would check it out...

Again, the issue comes with bein a temporary visa holder, you have very few rights in the country with a 457. You would need to get proper advice - more than from a forum.

In a nutshell, as I have understand it, you cannot own a property in Australia once you have left and have no right to live here permanently.

Edited by Tickled Pink

In a nutshell, as I have understand it, you cannot own a property in Australia once you have left and have no right to live here permanently.

Don't think so. It says once the temp visa holder has left the country they cannot keep an established (second-hand) residence. It doesn't say they cannot keep a new one.

Once they leave, they become a non-resident - and non-residents are allowed to buy (and rent out) new property.

I was looking into this recently and read online that if it is an older property then you will have to sell up if you are asked to leave the country. However, if it is a new property then you will be able to retain the property and rent it out. I can't remember the website I read this from though, sorry.