You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

charliebhoy

Driving in australia !

i live in melbourne and have to say isnt the driving on the roads here just ridiculous?

i find australian people very friendly and polite to your face but its like once behind the wheel its a bit more like F***k YOU !

i had some bloke in a ute shouting balling at me whilst swinging his clenched fist out the window and i still have no idea what i done wrong and that was 2 weeks ago !

also what about the monster trucks that drive up your A***e at 100 kph and they dont seem to get anywhere any faster ! i mean do these truck drivers actually get trained or do they pick them up from some sort of mental institution ? :arghh:

and what about courtesy? lane changing can become seriously difficult when the asshole in the lane beside you's way of thinking is "thou shall not speed up or slow down for anyone who doesnt know where they are going" or maybe they came from the mental institution also !:wacko:

ok now for my favourite part ! what about when at the lights theres a car turning right and a car waiting for a fortnight to turn left but cant because theres la de dah pedestrians walking in slow motion accross the road and the green man isnt even on ! aaaaghhh ! and i was going straight by the way but never made it !

i bet everyone on here has had the thought of homicide whilst in a rush and being stuck behind a slow moving tram ! can anyone add to this ? im sure there must be more annoying driving stuff:biggrin:

i mean do these truck drivers actually get trained or do they pick them up from some sort of mental institution ? :arghh:

and what about courtesy? lane changing can become seriously difficult when the asshole in the lane beside you's way of thinking is "thou shall not speed up or slow down for anyone who doesnt know where they are going" or maybe they came from the mental institution also !:wacko:

I don't think any drivers get any sort of training here do they?

They do, they use the british system but without the stupidly moronic act of parking against oncoming traffic...twice.:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

i would givethem a degree for irritation! and a diploma for ignorance :biglaugh:

Guest Ptp113
i live in melbourne and have to say isnt the driving on the roads here just ridiculous?

i find australian people very friendly and polite to your face but its like once behind the wheel its a bit more like F***k YOU !

i had some bloke in a ute shouting balling at me whilst swinging his clenched fist out the window and i still have no idea what i done wrong and that was 2 weeks ago !

also what about the monster trucks that drive up your A***e at 100 kph and they dont seem to get anywhere any faster ! i mean do these truck drivers actually get trained or do they pick them up from some sort of mental institution ? :arghh:

ok now for my favourite part ! what about when at the lights theres a car turning right and a car waiting for a fortnight to turn left but cant because theres la de dah pedestrians walking in slow motion accross the road and the green man isnt even on ! aaaaghhh ! and i was going straight by the way but never made it !

i bet everyone on here has had the thought of homicide whilst in a rush and being stuck behind a slow moving tram ! can anyone add to this ? im sure there must be more annoying driving stuff:biggrin:

"finished have we?" Get over it, the rest of us did way back!

Lol.. There have been many threads on this but yes.. The general consensus is that when people get behind the wheel they turn into ignorant rude barstewards!.. It's my only real negative about Aus. Apart from that I love it!!

"ok now for my favourite part ! what about when at the lights theres a car turning right and a car waiting for a fortnight to turn left but cant because theres la de dah pedestrians walking in slow motion accross the road and the green man isnt even on ! aaaaghhh !"

careful with this one, usually there is a green man on the left turn!

you get used to the driving over here after a while, i find the only major difference now is the taxes are higher, when you consider a $180 fine for being bugger all over the limit (look out for cars parked at the side of nice wide straight roads that are safe to move along (this isn't the uk countryside!), and also you have to get into the left lane early to exit, as undertaking and sitting at the limit in the slow lane is the norm here. oh and stay away from crazy trucks, but you're already there on that one lol

Chicken, gave me a bad coupon.

Guest Ptp113

Been driving here since '70 without problems and that covers long distance driving during my time in the military, and the Country Run engineer for DEC. Still enjoying driving here 43 years later. Some poms protesteth way to much and should go for a drive in India to gain some perspective...

Am in nsw have listened to the stories and I personally don't think the driving is worse than hackney where I worked for 15 years...

Guest Ptp113
its because when we leave the house we get into a normal family car but as soon as the engines starts and we hit the road..... we are the road warrior in our v8 interceptor

Aren't we all?

I have been driving here for 32 years with no problems. When I was in the UK a few months back, I was terrified driving on the motorways, to the point that I got off one of them onto minor roads. That was due to excess speeding by cars, trucks, coaches, tailgaiting, lane changing without signalling. I know which country I feel more comfortable driving in, and it is not in the UK.

It is not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

Guest Guest16631

.....I guess it's where your used to.....,

.....my sons.....and myself........learnt here..........so mostly have no problems....

......though I do find people drive too close..........but not sure if that's indicative to here.....

......the OH learnt in the UK..........and still finds there ,more to his comfort......

......just have to get used to it......

.......the bad driving has got worse over the years.....in many countries....ime...

.......more cars......

........different pace of life ........

.........and as we get older we become less tolerant ime...

..........as a young driver....( I wasn't one learnt as a mature student)

...........but those who were......I am sure had some of the bad habits .....that are moaned about......!

I have been driving here for 32 years with no problems. When I was in the UK a few months back, I was terrified driving on the motorways, to the point that I got off one of them onto minor roads. That was due to excess speeding by cars, trucks, coaches, tailgaiting, lane changing without signalling. I know which country I feel more comfortable driving in, and it is not in the UK.

Yes UK driver's are more skilled. You where right to take the minor road

Guest Ptp113

If you ever get back here I'll take you for a drive. Lets see how good you are then!

Now, where was that 120 car pile up earlier this year? Not in Australia. Ahhh yes, here it is. Crush hour: 120-car pile-up on Sheppey bridge in Kent

It is not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

Guest Guest66881
Now, where was that 120 car pile up earlier this year? Not in Australia. Ahhh yes, here it is. Crush hour: 120-car pile-up on Sheppey bridge in Kent

Not fair mate that was down to thick fog not thick drivers like most here, indicating alone accounts for probably 99% of the poor driving standard here.

Not fair mate that was down to thick fog not thick drivers like most here, indicating alone accounts for probably 99% of the poor driving standard here.

Perfectly fair Paul. You are supposed to drive according to the prevailing road conditions. Thick fog, slow down. As I said, 32 years of driving out here, and I have never had an issue. I have spent weeks driving in the USA, Pacific coast to Atlantic coast and back again, Canadian border to Mexican border, into and out of Canada, and I never had a problem. Back in the UK, it was terrible. I came across more bad driving habits in 6 weeks driving in the UK than I ever have out here. The thick drivers are there, not here, and unfortunately they bring their lousy driving habits out here with them.

Here we go again. Same old same old. There are shite drivers everywhere.

true but more so in Australia i'm afraid.

The problem I have with UK driving is aggression and road rage, everyone is in a rush and everyone is angry at everyone else. I always look at the depressed muppets commuting to work in the dark and rain, racing to get there and angry at everyone who somehow slows them down.

I find Australian driving similar to American in some ways, a little more sedate and easygoing. I've driven in far too many countries, with a lot of experience in South East Asia and the Middle East where we presently live where the driving would probably scare the crap of most Western drivers (particularly in South East Asia).

The problem I have with UK driving is aggression and road rage, everyone is in a rush and everyone is angry at everyone else. I always look at the depressed muppets commuting to work in the dark and rain, racing to get there and angry at everyone who somehow slows them down.

I find Australian driving similar to American in some ways, a little more sedate and easygoing. I've driven in far too many countries, with a lot of experience in South East Asia and the Middle East where we presently live where the driving would probably scare the crap of most Western drivers (particularly in South East Asia).

seriously.jpg

seriously.jpg