register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

charliebhoy

Driving in australia !

Guest Ptp113
Perfectly fair Paul. You are supposed to drive according to the prevailing road conditions. Thick fog, slow down. As I said, 32 years of driving out here, and I have never had an issue. I have spent weeks driving in the USA, Pacific coast to Atlantic coast and back again, Canadian border to Mexican border, into and out of Canada, and I never had a problem. Back in the UK, it was terrible. I came across more bad driving habits in 6 weeks driving in the UK than I ever have out here. The thick drivers are there, not here, and unfortunately they bring their lousy driving habits out here with them.

And most poms move to Perth!

Guest Ptp113

PB's don't have to contend with large numbers of camels, roos, wombats, brumbies, sheep etc wandering across the highways and suburban roads. That kills so many on the roads here per annum it's pretty scary. We have had some very close shaves lately and clipped a roo a ew months back. Something to add into your figures.

not me, the facts are well documented.

Your link is about deaths. That's at the extreme end of the scale, you got any links about general accidents?

I thought this site was for Poms in Oz hence the name, isn't there a site that Aussies can use to s***bag English things, or do a lot of you(not all) just lurk and take offence when anybody says anything negative about Australia. In the UK there is a place, speakers corner Hyde Park, where people are face to face (not gutless on a computer somewhere), where people can go and rant about anything without fear of being shouted down, where people just generally gather have laugh and move on. Why cant Aussies take any criticism without getting personal and nasty? Don't you think that discussion whether it be negative is how improvements and change happen? Or are you all so insecure about your identity and the only thing that floats your boat is to sit on here waiting for an Englishman/woman to dare say anything against your so so perfect country? I can now see why the Aussie cricketers are aiming to break bones in such a gentlemanly game of sport. The Aussies are portrayed as laid back and easy going who ever came up with that notion? P.s A lot of Aussie drivers - We are well aware you know where you are going, indicators are not just for show, they actually give other drivers some idea as to where you are going! Where i live its side Rd divers that make me laugh, people on main Rds be prepared for drivers who have done it so many times to just come out of nowhere and pull out just so they can be first (even if the car is cold and they cant get up to speed), i think they think that driving is a sport also and have to be in front as they like to be in CONTROL of you! ha ha that should get a few Aussies seething! Remember take a deep breath and learn to laugh at one self and observations of others.

I thought this site was for Poms in Oz hence the name, isn't there a site that Aussies can use to s***bag English things, or do a lot of you(not all) just lurk and take offence when anybody says anything negative about Australia. In the UK there is a place, speakers corner Hyde Park, where people are face to face (not gutless on a computer somewhere), where people can go and rant about anything without fear of being shouted down, where people just generally gather have laugh and move on. Why cant Aussies take any criticism without getting personal and nasty? Don't you think that discussion whether it be negative is how improvements and change happen? Or are you all so insecure about your identity and the only thing that floats your boat is to sit on here waiting for an Englishman/woman to dare say anything against your so so perfect country? I can now see why the Aussie cricketers are aiming to break bones in such a gentlemanly game of sport. The Aussies are portrayed as laid back and easy going who ever came up with that notion? P.s A lot of Aussie drivers - We are well aware you know where you are going, indicators are not just for show, they actually give other drivers some idea as to where you are going! Where i live its side Rd divers that make me laugh, people on main Rds be prepared for drivers who have done it so many times to just come out of nowhere and pull out just so they can be first (even if the car is cold and they cant get up to speed), i think they think that driving is a sport also and have to be in front as they like to be in CONTROL of you! ha ha that should get a few Aussies seething! Remember take a deep breath and learn to laugh at one self and observations of others.

Funnily enough the only Aussie born to post so far (until me) is wakeboard and his post was asking for proof of an opinion reported as a fact, the rest are all immigrants or returnees.

So they all fit your criteria of Poms in Oz. I guess I do to as I have a uk passport somewhere too!

Been driving here since '70 without problems and that covers long distance driving during my time in the military, and the Country Run engineer for DEC. Still enjoying driving here 43 years later. Some poms protesteth way to much and should go for a drive in India to gain some perspective...

they ll be removing your license soon mate ! try and avoid shopfront windows in the meantime !:laugh:

I bet you have a list of people and know where they come from so you can attack at will. ha ha only joking mate put your lazor away and stop splitting atoms. Oh thats right we are all immigrants apart from indigenous population, i stand corrected, you see simple i made a mistake and can admit it! So what are you now a two faced fence sitter? Anyway all i was trying to point out was that where i live, Qld a big state with no where near enough police patrolling thats the sort of thing that happens and you wouldn't be able to do that in the UK because its small island with approx 66 million people and couldn't get away with that unless death was your wish, its human nature rather than attack on Australians. Humans will always take the path of least resistance if they can get away with it.

Driving styles and conventions are different in Australia to in the UK, but that doesn't equate to drivers being better or worse. The really bad drivers are the ones who stick to their own rules and conventions regardless of what everyone else is doing. That makes them unpredictable and leads to accidents, even though they would protest that they are the safe driver and everyone else is wrong.

My advice - stop whinging and learn from other road users.

Feb 2010 Prospective Marriage Visa | Nov 2010 Temporary Partner Visa | Nov 2012 Permanent Partner Visa | Jan 2015 Australian Citizenship

PB's don't have to contend with large numbers of camels, roos, wombats, brumbies, sheep etc wandering across the highways and suburban roads. That kills so many on the roads here per annum it's pretty scary. We have had some very close shaves lately and clipped a roo a ew months back. Something to add into your figures.

Both countries have there issues, dont forget in the uk we have roads designed for horse and carts, a much denser population, more adverse weather... the bottom line is we are better drivers..

12778bendy_straw.jpg

you know what to do with this..?

Guest Ptp113
Both countries have there issues, dont forget in the uk we have roads designed for horse and carts, a much denser population, more adverse weather... the bottom line is we are better drivers..

12778bendy_straw.jpg

you know what to do with this..?

Don't think so. Poms are slower but have a lot more stupidity. They have little to hit on the roads apart from themselves and they do that surprisingly well. Dodging roos here does tend to freak them a little, had to assist a poor dear from our horse agistment after whacking one. I had to put it out of its misery as the pom was a basket case!

I bet you have a list of people and know where they come from so you can attack at will. ha ha only joking mate put your lazor away and stop splitting atoms. Oh thats right we are all immigrants apart from indigenous population, i stand corrected, you see simple i made a mistake and can admit it! So what are you now a two faced fence sitter? Anyway all i was trying to point out was that where i live, Qld a big state with no where near enough police patrolling thats the sort of thing that happens and you wouldn't be able to do that in the UK because its small island with approx 66 million people and couldn't get away with that unless death was your wish, its human nature rather than attack on Australians. Humans will always take the path of least resistance if they can get away with it.

No, we are immigrants if we were born elsewhere.

We are not immigrants if we were born here, no matter where our parents or grandparents came from.

As for your two faced fence sitter remark, that's just nasty, and untrue, but I couldn't be arsed wasting any more of my time answering you.

No, we are immigrants if we were born elsewhere.

We are not immigrants if we were born here, no matter where our parents or grandparents came from.

It's complicated. Being an immigrant is a combination of how you perceive yourself and how you are perceived by others. Some European Australians may identify with their ancestral culture even if they have been born here. My wife tells me that her (great?) grandmother always spoke of England as home despite never having been there. But by the same token, I don't think many people would ever think of Julia Gillard or Mr Rabbit as being immigrants. But for some Aboriginal people whose parents and grandparents were not even entitled to citizenship, I can understand why they would see all non-Aborigines as immigrants. I think it just shows that we should always try to be sensitive to how others perceive us and how we present ourselves.

Feb 2010 Prospective Marriage Visa | Nov 2010 Temporary Partner Visa | Nov 2012 Permanent Partner Visa | Jan 2015 Australian Citizenship

Guest Ptp113
It's complicated. Being an immigrant is a combination of how you perceive yourself and how you are perceived by others. Some European Australians may identify with their ancestral culture even if they have been born here. My wife tells me that her (great?) grandmother always spoke of England as home despite never having been there. But by the same token, I don't think many people would ever think of Julia Gillard or Mr Rabbit as being immigrants. But for some Aboriginal people whose parents and grandparents were not even entitled to citizenship, I can understand why they would see all non-Aborigines as immigrants. I think it just shows that we should always try to be sensitive to how others perceive us and how we present ourselves.

I don't think of England as home and I have been there. Took me years to 'move on' but I got there in the end.

Don't think so. Poms are slower but have a lot more stupidity.

There you go putting yourself down again.....you really ought to be less self critical

I have to agree that the standard of driving I've encountered in the two years I've been living in QLD is atrocious!

I have to agree that the standard of driving I've encountered in the two years I've been living in QLD is atrocious!

Yes, an awful lot of Poms have settled up that way, so it is to be expected.

It is not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

I always find this topic laughable. I find the driving standard in the uk terrible as a Aussie. To many drivers not indicating and the number of cars doing well over speed limits. Villages around the uk not so bad, but London and manchester was a experience for me.Not enough police enforcing driving rules in the uk i found. So swings and roundabouts , all depends what your used too. Im used to Australian driving.

i find Aussies drive well under most conditions. Police go over the top enforcing it here. I drive a lot and police speed cameras are everywhere, some in places they shouldn't be, like bottom of hills. Revenue raising. Now if your get caught doing 61 in a 60 zone you get a nice fine to remember. No tolerance now. I've found it keeps most under the speed limit on our roads now.

Guess it comes down to what your used too. I've driven in alot of countries now and I find Americans and Aussies the best I've experienced in regards to obeying road laws. Aggressive drivers are on the roads in every country I've driven in.

Try the roads in Indonesia, that's always a fun experience.

i find Aussies drive well under most conditions.

Guess it comes down to what your used too. I've driven in alot of countries now and I find Americans and Aussies the best I've experienced in regards to obeying road laws.

:biglaugh:

Brilliant.....do you have any similar jokes to share:biglaugh:

:biglaugh:

Brilliant.....do you have any similar jokes to share:biglaugh:

Ahhh Flatone, your still here. I did see some cheap early bird flights for start of next year. Here to help .

i live in melbourne and have to say isnt the driving on the roads here just ridiculous?

i find australian people very friendly and polite to your face but its like once behind the wheel its a bit more like F***k YOU !

i had some bloke in a ute shouting balling at me whilst swinging his clenched fist out the window and i still have no idea what i done wrong and that was 2 weeks ago !

also what about the monster trucks that drive up your A***e at 100 kph and they dont seem to get anywhere any faster ! i mean do these truck drivers actually get trained or do they pick them up from some sort of mental institution ? :arghh:

and what about courtesy? lane changing can become seriously difficult when the asshole in the lane beside you's way of thinking is "thou shall not speed up or slow down for anyone who doesnt know where they are going" or maybe they came from the mental institution also !:wacko:

ok now for my favourite part ! what about when at the lights theres a car turning right and a car waiting for a fortnight to turn left but cant because theres la de dah pedestrians walking in slow motion accross the road and the green man isnt even on ! aaaaghhh ! and i was going straight by the way but never made it !

i bet everyone on here has had the thought of homicide whilst in a rush and being stuck behind a slow moving tram ! can anyone add to this ? im sure there must be more annoying driving stuff:biggrin:

You talking about driving in the UK aren't you...

Ahhh Flatone, your still here. I did see some cheap early bird flights for start of next year. Here to help .

How strange Ausbone...where am I supposed to be going????

Perfectly fair Paul. You are supposed to drive according to the prevailing road conditions. Thick fog, slow down. As I said, 32 years of driving out here, and I have never had an issue. I have spent weeks driving in the USA, Pacific coast to Atlantic coast and back again, Canadian border to Mexican border, into and out of Canada, and I never had a problem. Back in the UK, it was terrible. I came across more bad driving habits in 6 weeks driving in the UK than I ever have out here. The thick drivers are there, not here, and unfortunately they bring their lousy driving habits out here with them.

I lived in the us for 6 years and drive about 40-45k miles in the UK annually plus few road trips a year across Europe. Never felt safe driving in the uk. I'm here in NSW for 3 months and haven't seen an accident yet...