Painters & Decorators Thread...

Guest BrisbaneReturners

Guest donovan

Hiya anyone looking for painting work on the Gold Coast let me know as I know someone looking for people

Sarah x

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest traybears

hi sarah,my o/h will be,thats if we ever get there.2nd house sale just fell though...gutted to say the least!tracy.xx.

Hi,

Interesting thread!

I have 10 years painting experience (all in residential housing), although I haven't painted for around 5 years now (can soon update skills though!). I also have New Zealand citizenship (passport) so visas not a problem. Unfortunately I have no qualifications :(

Can someone please tell me if I can work as a painter in Australia (most likely the Sydney area) without any qualifications, employed and/or self-employed. If I do need qualifications, or if it's better that I do, how long and difficult is it to obtain them?

Also, how much painting work is available right now???

I really appreciate your help!!!

Mark

Guest shash
Hi Sash, you are not dim, all this visa stuff is a bit of a minefield. I can't say if it is the same qual but we did look into taking the same qualification by the same method. GoMatilda offered us to go out to Geelong for 3 weeks to gain the qualification but when we looked at the overall cost it would have been too expensive for us so I found out about the Australian Construction Training Services. The offered the same qualification but it also had the licences attached too so that when we get out there my O/H will already have everything in place to be able to work straight away. They call it hit the ground running. The have just set up offices over here and were very quick at getting everything done. They met with my O/H and also went and viewed him at work. Hope this helps but if you need any more info, let me know.

Jules

Hey Jules,

Thanks for reply, cant get to net to often, too many cats to look after. your way sounds better than mine. How did you find out about this construction training thing, do they have a web site, was it cheaper because you had the price of the flight to consider. did yourO/H have to erect scaffolding, tile, mix oils and fit a window. what did want to see him doing. also, how much did it all cost. would like to get started as soon as, if i sound a bit desperate its only because i am. you understand.

thanks Jules and congrats again.

Hey Jules,

Thanks for reply, cant get to net to often, too many cats to look after. your way sounds better than mine. How did you find out about this construction training thing, do they have a web site, was it cheaper because you had the price of the flight to consider. did yourO/H have to erect scaffolding, tile, mix oils and fit a window. what did want to see him doing. also, how much did it all cost. would like to get started as soon as, if i sound a bit desperate its only because i am. you understand.

thanks Jules and congrats again.

Hi Sash

The website for ACTS is:ACTS UK | Welcome to Trade Train They came and viewed o/h whilst he was at one of his jobs and observed him completing various tasks. We had to provide some references from companies who he had worked with in the past and lots of photos of his work. There are also some quizzes that you have to complete but they are not too bad to do. The qualification can be done as quickly as you can get all the evidence together really. If you have a look on their website they tell you all about the different stages and if you have any questions they will be more than happy to help.

Good luck.

Jules

Guest shash
Hi Sash

The website for ACTS is:ACTS UK | Welcome to Trade Train They came and viewed o/h whilst he was at one of his jobs and observed him completing various tasks. We had to provide some references from companies who he had worked with in the past and lots of photos of his work. There are also some quizzes that you have to complete but they are not too bad to do. The qualification can be done as quickly as you can get all the evidence together really. If you have a look on their website they tell you all about the different stages and if you have any questions they will be more than happy to help.

Good luck.

Jules

Hey Jules,

Thanks everso for your help, will have a look now.Just a couple of little things standing our way before we can actually do anything yet like get married and sell the house but after that there will be no stopping us. apreciate everything Jules, hope you get there soon.

Shash.

• 1 month later...

Hi Helaine

Could I ask you how your husband went about getting the job offer in Brisbane? My O/H is a painter and decorator and has gained the AQF111 qualification which inludes the work permit (blue card?) but he now needs to get a job offer to gain the additional 5 points. I have drafted a letter and copy of the criteria and CV but have not got a clue where to start sending it to? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jules

Hi My Oh is in the process of AQF level IIIfor P&D,hope to obtain it soon. Have you tried getting the IELTS. OH done the test and passed so we now have enough points for 175 visa. OH is 44 so we need to get our visa in soon.

We have looked into the IELTS test but it would be a last resort. O/H has mild Dyslexia and I have heard of people failing the test due to getting i's and e's around the wrong way. The dyslexia has never been a problem to him when he is completing his site reports but he is really worried about the essay part of the test so we thought that the job offer would be the best way forward, if we can get one that is!!!

Guest scottish crew
Just wanted to start a thread for painters and decorators.

my husband runs his own painting business here in ireland. we're returning to live in brisbane in june and he wants to start subing for some builders.. i'm not sure.. any advice? he's planning on working for somebody when we first go out just to get a feel for things out there again but then wants to go out on his own again. he said subing is different to working for yourself as you are just working for a builder.. is that right? any first hand knowledge of how it works out there would be good.

we both have aussie citizenship so are lucky we don't need visas or stuff..

my parents, who live in brisbane, keep telling me there is heaps of work. I'm not sure how much to budget for rent etc as at the moment i don't know how much he might earn working for somebody or even for himself. any ideas, feedback or advice would be reallly good?

hi there! a wee question that maybe you could answer, can i take pure bristle paint brushes with me to oz ?

might be a silly question but can you help??

thanks!

john (scottish crew) :huh:

OK here's what you need in Queensland as a Painter & Decorator. A blue card, and thats about it, nearly'

If you want to work for a boss fine, just the blue card.

If you want to go out and work for yourself you will need a BSA license, which is Building Services Australia. It usually takes a 3 day weekend to complete it. Cost about $500+ They take you mainly through the business side of running a business.

You will need your trade certificates or if you don't have them be able to prove you have been on your own account by producing tax returns etc. Then quite often they will send an Inspector out to visit you on site to check your skills.

The idea of all this is to keep out incompetent painters, but it doesn't. It really serves for a client to be able to make a claim against shoddy workmanship.

Don't be put off by the procedure, if you are a competent person you will fly through it.

Now if you work on wages there are several ways, each with their pitfalls!

Working for a boss on normal wages, you get holiday pay, sickness pay, superannuation, long service leave, this is mainly in repaints, but the pay is only just over $20 odd dollars per hour.

If you can get on a large construction site the pay is much better, with all the above perks plus others like site and height allowance, rostered days off, sickness income protection, and redundancy payments. In the long run this is the best option, as all your tax is deducted, and you don,t have any worries. Although unionism is not compulsory, it is hard to get on site without it!

The other way is to work as a sub-contractor, eg you work for maybe $30 dollars or so an hour with no holiday pay, usually responsible for your own tax [the contractor won't deduct it and pay it on your behalf], and having to claim GST and forward it to the Government { a real hassle].

Some contractors will sub let a job to you and provide the materials and pay you regular progress payments, this way with a bit of hard work and working smart you can make $2000 per week!![i have done this many times]

Also the contractor is supposed to pay 9% superannuation into a fund for you, but not many do. Then you have a fight to claim it by going to taxation with a complaint. Also this method you are called a sub contractor, but in the eyes of the Taxation you re not unless you provide your own equipment and materials!! Tell that to the contractor and he will laugh at you!

Hope I haven't put you off, but my advice would be to get any work thats going to start with, look around and decide what you think is best for you. There is plenty of work around in most area of Queensland.

I have been in this trade for 50 years, in oz 39 of them, most spent in Victoria where there doesn't seem to be the strictness we have in Queensland, but you get used to all the crap!

I wouldn't swap Queensland now for anything. Being a pom you can overcome any of these small snags.

Best of luck to you all trying in this trade, and if you need any help please ask.

Also someone mentioned about a lot of wallpapering here in Queensland! I have been up here 6 years now and yet to hang a roll yet.

Regards kernow

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi guys.. Just wanted to ask a quick question.. We're returning to Australia as permanent residents.. We previously lived in Sydney but gonna give Brisbane a go / gold coast.... Do u know what the work situation is like for Painters and decorators there at the moment as our Sydney friends are telling us bad things??? have a young family so we don t want to make a mistake moving there. Also what's the Average wage there?? And does anyone have any helpfull contacts for any jobs or work??? Lots of questions sorry!!!! Ems :hug:

• 4 months later...

Archived