Painters & Decorators Thread...

Guest BrisbaneReturners

Guest sharleen29

Hi, my hubby is also a painter & decorator. We are heading to Qlds as soon as this b****y house sells!!! Aaaargh:arghh:. Will be watchin this one as any advice is much needed & appreciated.

xxx

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Gwen

OH will go out to Australia if he meets all of the requirements and get the AQF111 certificate as long as he passes of course.(he had better not come back home if he doesn't) Once he has this we can then get him assesed and then apply under pathway E. Age is not on his side and we don't want to hang around waiting to hear if Pathway D is coming back in and in what form so we have decided to go for it. Costs are around £4,000 in total and that is with GoMatilda completing the whole process even the Visa application if we hopefully get that far. Sounds a lot of money but it is paid in stages and worth every penny if we get there so fingers crossed.

Hi Jules,

Thanks for the advice,so is it GoMatilda that are sending your OH to Oz and is the 4,000 for sending him to Oz and the whole visa process, sorry for asking all these questions but like my OH is on the age thing as he is 44 this April.

Thanks for everything Jules.

Luv Gwen x x x x x x :notworthy:

Hi Gwen

Yes the £4000 includes the whole visa processs and then we would have to add on police checks and xrays ect. I need to check with GoMatilda regarding flights and accomodation and we have to take into account that if he has to go for 2 weeks then he will loose wages due to being self employed. We have just had a repy from another company that are over here next week that offer the same qualification they are £900 dearer than GoMatilda but I am not sure how much longer it will take. We will see what happens when we meet with them next week and will then decide who to go with from there but I think it will be GoMatilda because although it may be 2 weeks out of the country it will give him a chance to meet with other employers and will show that we are keen by making the effort and expense of going out there for the course. I will let you know how we get on.

Julie

Hi Gwen

No not heard anything yet keep checking my phone to make sure I haven't missed a call, I am assuming that they are travelling over the weekend so I am hoping to hear from them tomorrow or Monday. I will let you know as soon as I hear. I have got loads of questions for them about how the process works and how long it takes. Geting very nervous.

Jules

Hi Jules,

You will be fine,says me I would be the same as you I think (NERVOUS) :wacko:just make sure you ask loads of questions for me LOL.I just want to get over there.Im going to Leeds Expo tomorrow,I will let you know if I find anything out.Good Luck speak to you soon.

Gwen x x x :chatterbox::notworthy:

• 1 month later...
Guest swallowbride

hi brisbanereturners,i am new to this site and have just found this good thread.i am also a painter and decorator with a NVQ level 2 qualification.does this mean i will also have to sit a certificate of compitency test even with recognised qualifications? also how long does a blue card last once you have one.does it need renewing yearly?we are looking to move to the brisbane area either end of this or beginning of 09 the first one being favoured!

many thanks us five

Guest adzytaylor

Hi all

im new here and would lust like to say this site has answered alot of ????????:smile:

im 21 years old single:yes: and will be arriving alone in oz in early November on a working holiday visa:cool:, im a fully qualified painter and decorator with an NVQ level 3 and 4-5 years experience.

Initialy i wanted to get a skilled visa but i choose not to so i could see what life was like for a year first before migrating,i have a few questions that need answering:

.how much am i likely to earn working for a firm??? as i don't have a driving licence

.can i apply for a skilled visa while im in Australia on a working holiday visa??

.is Perth a good place to base myself with regards to work as i have freinds there at the moment

.what hours do painters work

.i've heard they do drug/alchohol tests...is this true:huh:

i am counting down the days and im gonna be booking my one way ticket soon, as i don't intend on returning and its cheaper, anywhere has got to be better than the uk especialy the way its going,only being 21 i dont wanna hang around too long as ive got a bad feeling about this not so "great" britain

ROLL ON NOVEMBER

• 3 weeks later...
Guest shash

my partner has been a painter and decorator for 6 years,we are 5 points short of moving to australia, we would really appreciate it ifsomeone could give us any advice.

he's 40 and he has no qualification he has been in the trade for 6 years, if we can claim these 5 points would that then enable him to be self employed?

Any help or advice would be much appreaciated.

Thanks Shash

my partner has been a painter and decorator for 6 years,we are 5 points short of moving to australia, we would really appreciate it ifsomeone could give us any advice.

he's 40 and he has no qualification he has been in the trade for 6 years, if we can claim these 5 points would that then enable him to be self employed?

Thanks Shash

Hi Shash

I can't help you with regards to the extra points but it may be worth talking to a migration agent to see if they can let you know of any ways around this.

Jules

Guest shash
Hi Shash

I can't help you with regards to the extra points but it may be worth talking to a migration agent to see if they can let you know of any ways around this.

Jules

thanks jules, dont know what am doing really. just starting out but i know one thing, its a sad thing when you fed up with own country.

Guest donovan

Hiya if you know of ny painters on the Gold Coast looking for work let me know and I will put you in touch with someone who has work

Sarah x

• 3 weeks later...
Guest shash

hi all you painter/decorator people. just would like to keep you up dated on our progress. we decided to find out about emmigrating last year, we thought darren( future hubby )might be too old. he 42 this yearbut apparently not. so we did bit of digging and found we were 5 points short, thought this was down to age. its not... its down too no qualifications. so looked at doing ielts test thinking that would gain the 5 points we lost. go matilda thinks not, still got to have quals, he has the choice, he can do 900 hours at uk college or go to oz college for three weeks and do a skills analysis. if he does this, we are hoping it will be enough, if not, we still have ielts test to fall back on. we are going to get there, im determined. we have a house to sell and will get married as soon as it sells, things just arnt moveing quick enough, its frnstrating. im a bit enviouse of some of you who have applied, we cant even do that yet but we will get there. keep you posted.

Hi Sash

I hope things go well for you. We have just had confirmation back that my O/H is now the proud owner of the AQF111 Certificate in Painting and Decorating so we are now busy filling out the forms to get it assessed by the TRA. Fingers crossed that it goes through ok. We feel the same as you, we are determind to get there one way or another.

Take care

Jules

Guest andygfc
Hi Sash

I hope things go well for you. We have just had confirmation back that my O/H is now the proud owner of the AQF111 Certificate in Painting and Decorating so we are now busy filling out the forms to get it assessed by the TRA. Fingers crossed that it goes through ok. We feel the same as you, we are determind to get there one way or another.

Take care

Jules

May I ask who you used for your AQF 111 ?

Looking to take this myself and want to know more.

Thanks, Andy

Hi all,

We are stuck at the moment as like many of you my OH has no qualifications just the skills. And we just dont have the money to pay for the test,so just don't know where to start.Dont really understand the proposed pathway D.:wacko:

I am going to Brisbane on the 29th of this month just for a week (as I have to pick my mum up from my sisters as she not been well ) Has anyone got any advice as to anything I could do while out there.

OH also wanted to ask if all of you have been painting for the last 3 to 4 years or have some done less but still got there visa

Thanks Gwen x x x 36_1_67.gif

Guest Brendan/Mandy
hi all

My hubbie is a Painter & Decorator and has a job with a company in brisbane, should he also get a construction blue card before we go & and this compitencey thing ? just in case ? also the salary isnt that good to start with but after 3 months he gets a pay review, fingers crossed that they will like him and give him a decent pay rise.

Yes I would its only a quick online assesment & he will need it to work on sites painting new builds, my son did his & he works on a Pumping & irrigation firm. Most jobs here ask for a blue card.

You also need a blue card to work with children.

mandy

Guest Brendan/Mandy

Thanks Shash

Hi Shash the only advice I can give if your 5 points short is invest into a BOND in oz, the only downfall is it would have to be for the sum of $100,000.

We too were 5 points down, only way to gain the 5 points was too invest. We invested in Queensland Treasury Bonds $100,000, (your migration agent can give you a list whom you want to invest with) it will be invested for 1 year then you receive full amount back with interest (around $6,300) we have just received our back this week, no problems it was straight in bank account.

Its the only way we could get our visa's so it had to be done, unfortunately.

Trying to get a balaclava to rob the bank was the hardest I had to knit one in the end!!!:policeman:lol

Mandy

Guest shash

hey jules, congrats to you and your O/H, your one step closer. just one question.this AQF111 cert, would it be the same one my O/H will be taking if we go to oz, is it the same skills analysis. did they come to you and assess his work? call me dim but i dont know very much yet. thanks, shash.

:wacko:

Hi Sash, you are not dim, all this visa stuff is a bit of a minefield. I can't say if it is the same qual but we did look into taking the same qualification by the same method. GoMatilda offered us to go out to Geelong for 3 weeks to gain the qualification but when we looked at the overall cost it would have been too expensive for us so I found out about the Australian Construction Training Services. The offered the same qualification but it also had the licences attached too so that when we get out there my O/H will already have everything in place to be able to work straight away. They call it hit the ground running. The have just set up offices over here and were very quick at getting everything done. They met with my O/H and also went and viewed him at work. Hope this helps but if you need any more info, let me know.

Jules

I have been talking with ACTS/Trade Train today about their workplace assessment process and future activities.

Anyone who would like a name and contact information should feel able to send me a PM or email so I can send their contact details onto you.

Best regards.

Archived