Painters & Decorators Thread...

Guest BrisbaneReturners

Guest BrisbaneReturners

Just wanted to start a thread for painters and decorators.

my husband runs his own painting business here in ireland. we're returning to live in brisbane in june and he wants to start subing for some builders.. i'm not sure.. any advice? he's planning on working for somebody when we first go out just to get a feel for things out there again but then wants to go out on his own again. he said subing is different to working for yourself as you are just working for a builder.. is that right? any first hand knowledge of how it works out there would be good.

we both have aussie citizenship so are lucky we don't need visas or stuff..

my parents, who live in brisbane, keep telling me there is heaps of work. I'm not sure how much to budget for rent etc as at the moment i don't know how much he might earn working for somebody or even for himself. any ideas, feedback or advice would be reallly good?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, my OH is a painter and decorator and he went to the Expo yesterday.Queensland Government are going to sponsor him,so they do need us.If you look at "career one" on web sight they got loads of jobs.I am putting this info on here as I think its a good idea to put this thread on Brisbane Returners,I have noticed someone else have put a thread on painter and decorators just hope they read this one.

Come on all you painters and decorators in UK and OZ start talking LOL :chatterbox:Thanks Gwen x x x x x

My sister is in Brisbane and she said they are crying out for painters.

Thanx Brisbane returners for your relpy and lets hope we get some good info from your thread.I'm a Decorator and waiting on my visa. I have done alot of research into jobs in the Brisbane outskirts and people over there have said there is plenty of work for all trades.I too would like to eventually end up going on my own and subing, spose it'll get easier once you have made a name for yourself.

Good luck

Guest BrisbaneReturners

hubby was online last night checking out if you need to get registered and this is what he found;

"you need to have a construction blue card to work on any construction site in australia. i typed in constrcution blue card in google and it came up with a list of companies that do it. it's similar to a safe pass course (lot of ****e!). you can do it online. i did it last night and now have to send the paperwork off to get it. it costs $80 AUD. it was supposed to take 4 hours but i did it in 27 min! you also have to go to the master painters and decorators assocation and sit a certificate of compitency."

Guest pominnz

My husband Simon is a painter and decorator and we are just waiting for visas. We applied on line at the beginning of December 07 and are heading to Brisbane just as soon as we get the visa.

Simon has been working as a painter and decorator for 25 years and has been employed and self employed. We currently live in New Zealand and have for the past three years. He came out here to work for someone but now runs his own business. He is hoping to work for someone again in Brisbane in a supervisory role and is definitely ready for a much quieter life with less responsibility, as running your own business is time consuming and stressful.

We have no doubt that he will find a job quite quickly as there appears to be a real shortage of painters and decorators in Aus.

Good luck to everyone else.

Hi Brisbane Returners ,

master painters and decorators assocation and sit a certificate of compitency,where to do find the details for this is it online.

Thanks Gwen x x x x

Guest BrisbaneReturners

I agree re running your own business! it's been quite stressful so i want him to work for somebody else but he wants to sub.. i'm not sure exactly how that is different? he said it's easier to get paid (one of our common problems is getting folk to pay on time here in ireland) as you would work for the builder??

he said:

"when i looked at jobs they required a blue card so i typed 'blue card' into the qld gov website and it kept coming up with a blue card for working with children!!! lol!! it was only by accident that i found the blue card for working in construction! in the old days in qld (till 1995) each company did their own induction courses so you did a different induction course for every site you went on to - it was a pain! i remember going on to one mining site in outback queensland to paint 3 doors and i had to spend half a day doing an induction course and the whole job only took me an hour and a half! mind you it took me 3 hours to drive down there and back! lol! that's a place where sat navs don't work.. a sat nav won't find you a mine in rural qld! lol!"

Guest BrisbaneReturners
Hi Brisbane Returners ,

master painters and decorators assocation and sit a certificate of compitency,where to do find the details for this is it online.

Thanks Gwen x x x x

go to Master Painters Association

qld seems to be the only place that needs a compitency assessment..

Hi Brisbane Returners,

Sorry to be a pain I just been on the sight, "certificate of compitency." can this been done on line and where abouts do I find it on the sight.Thankyou so much.

You no this is called being obsessed I was on the sight till twelve last night,and on it now (And the worst is I am at work) lol.

Thanks again xxxxXX Gwen

Guest Helaine

hi all

My hubbie is a Painter & Decorator and has a job with a company in brisbane, should he also get a construction blue card before we go & and this compitencey thing ? just in case ? also the salary isnt that good to start with but after 3 months he gets a pay review, fingers crossed that they will like him and give him a decent pay rise.

Guest BrisbaneReturners
Hi Brisbane Returners,

Sorry to be a pain I just been on the sight, "certificate of compitency." can this been done on line and where abouts do I find it on the sight.Thankyou so much.

You no this is called being obsessed I was on the sight till twelve last night,and on it now (And the worst is I am at work) lol.

Thanks again xxxxXX Gwen

no it's the blue card you can do online.. the other one is the compitency test you have to do that on site in qld in their building where they do the compitency tests...

Guest BrisbaneReturners
hi all

My hubbie is a Painter & Decorator and has a job with a company in brisbane, should he also get a construction blue card before we go & and this compitencey thing ? just in case ? also the salary isnt that good to start with but after 3 months he gets a pay review, fingers crossed that they will like him and give him a decent pay rise.

you can't go on site without a blue card.. you can't even go into somebodys house to paint without one.. so yes you'll need one before you go or just when you get there either way.. best to get it before you go though. the compitency thing you have to sit an exam when you get there (not sure it's compulsory?)..

...re the pay.. shop around is the advice i've been given as there is so much painting work on out there.

Guest traybears

HI,MY O/H IS ALSO A PAINTER AND DECORATOR.WE'RE HEADING TO SYDNEY ON A 175 SKILLED VISA HOPEFULLY ABOUT JUNE TIME IF WE CAN SELL OUR HOUSE.HAD 4 VIEWINGS IN 13 DAYS.THEY ALL LOVED IT BUT DON'T SEEM TO PUT THEIR MONEY WHERE THEIR MOUTH IS! TRACY.XX.

Hi Tracy,

Can I just ask,has your OH got qualifications in painting and decorating or is on the job skills.Is the 175 visa a skilled visa,and what did you have to put forward to TRA.All your advice would be great.

Bet your so excited not long to go now ,lucky you.

Luv Gwen x x x x :spinny:

Guest traybears

HI GWEN,YES HE DID A 2 YEAR COURSE WORKING FOR A COMPANY AND 1 DAY A WEEK AT COLLEGE.CITY AND GUILDS CERT.OUR AGENT HELPED A LOT WITH THE TRA.SENT US COPIES OF WHAT TO WRITE.STEVE HAD TO PUT IN ALL TOOLS,PLACES OF WORK ETC.WAS A NIGHTMARE.WE GOT STEVE'S PREVIOUS EMPLOYERS TO PUT IT ON HEADED PAPER AND SIGN.IT WAS HARD WORK BUT WELL WORTH IT.TRACY.XX.

Guest gsxrjames

hi all, does anyone know anything about ames taping in australia as both tapers and painters work closely in this country.

any advice would be great.

james

Hi James, Didn't know they even did any ames taping in the UK. I did a bit in the states a while back, so I too would be interested to hear if they did any ames taping in OZ.

Suppose it would have alot to do with customer's individual requirements.

Are you a painter/decorator?

Regards Bruce

Guest BrisbaneReturners
hi all, does anyone know anything about ames taping in australia as both tapers and painters work closely in this country.

any advice would be great.

james

hi, all houses are taped and jointed in oz (dry wall). you see very little though. i think i've done about two houses which have been skimmed and they were skimmed with the dry wall compound. it's really good. i never saw a bag of finish plaster while i was in oz. even the most of the exterior plasters they use are a sort of dry wall white comound base - very little sand and cement finish plaster outside.

for the painters - no wet dash oustside there thank god! :biglaugh:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Brisbanereturners

Could you please answer me one question. I thought I'd ask you as you have lived in Brisbane.I'm a decorator and heading north of Brisbane, just wondered if it would be worthwhile taking my paste table(I have one of those nice new plastic tables) over with my other tools? I have heard they dont really paper the walls in OZ?

Many thanx

Bruce

Hi Gwen Not sure how you are getting on with your OH application but my OH is a painter and decorator and has no quals. We have just got word from GoMatilda that they have now set things up with a place in Victoria so that you can attend and hopefully get the AQF111 which then means that we can hopefully follow on with an assesment and then apply for a visa. Might be worth contacting them if you are still looking for a way in.

Jules

Hi Jules,

Come to a halt at the moment,can you give me some more details,is your OH going to do it.

Thanks so much hope to here from you soon.

Luv Gwen x x x

Hi Gwen

OH will go out to Australia if he meets all of the requirements and get the AQF111 certificate as long as he passes of course.(he had better not come back home if he doesn't) Once he has this we can then get him assesed and then apply under pathway E. Age is not on his side and we don't want to hang around waiting to hear if Pathway D is coming back in and in what form so we have decided to go for it. Costs are around £4,000 in total and that is with GoMatilda completing the whole process even the Visa application if we hopefully get that far. Sounds a lot of money but it is paid in stages and worth every penny if we get there so fingers crossed.

Guest tracywilson
Hi, my OH is a painter and decorator and he went to the Expo yesterday.Queensland Government are going to sponsor him,so they do need us.If you look at "career one" on web sight they got loads of jobs.I am putting this info on here as I think its a good idea to put this thread on Brisbane Returners,I have noticed someone else have put a thread on painter and decorators just hope they read this one.

Come on all you painters and decorators in UK and OZ start talking LOL :chatterbox:Thanks Gwen x x x x x

My sister is in Brisbane and she said they are crying out for painters.

Excuse me for asking but how old is your husband ? My step father is a fully qualified P&D but is 47!!!!!

regards

Tracy

Archived