Visa 189: how much time to validate after granted

ndelame

Hi there!

I am at the moment preparing to lodge my 189 visa application.

- It is supposed to take up to 1 year to get an answer (yes you can move to OZ / No, we don't want to see you)...does it really take that long?

- In case the visa is granted, how much time do you have to present yourself at the australian border for validation?

Thanks!

Nicolas

Hi Nicolas,

Yes, 1 year is the average period. You have to assess your skills, sit IELTS if necessary, a lot of waiting is involved.

After the visa is granted, you have about one year to validate it. It is one year after the Medicals, or Police clearance, whichever comes first.

Cheers

Hi there!

I am at the moment preparing to lodge my 189 visa application.

- It is supposed to take up to 1 year to get an answer (yes you can move to OZ / No, we don't want to see you)...does it really take that long?

- In case the visa is granted, how much time do you have to present yourself at the australian border for validation?

Thanks!

Nicolas

Hello if i am understanding correctly you are preparing to lodge your 189 visa application, does this mean that you have do your skills test and IELtT's if needed and got you EOI back because if not you need to do all this as it is impossible to lodge you application with out been invited. but if you have been invited then you are looking at around 6 to 12 weeks after lodging your visa you should be granted it. and you have to enter within 12 months of your visa been issued.

Hi Nicolas,

Yes, 1 year is the average period. You have to assess your skills, sit IELTS if necessary, a lot of waiting is involved.

After the visa is granted, you have about one year to validate it. It is one year after the Medicals, or Police clearance, whichever comes first.

Cheers

Hello Alnaibii please could you tell me what AACA stands for as i have never seen it before also SS and ACK

Thanks

Well, thanks for all these answers!

Actually I passed IELTS, got my assessment and received my invitation. I now have until 4th of january to lodge the application. I filed it and have now have to...pay...and before I do that, I try to get all the documents I should attach.

Well, one year after the visa is granted seem comfortable to organise everything before leaving my...old life.

Nicolas

...one year after the visa is granted seem comfortable to organise everything before leaving my...old life.

Well, not exactly one year from the grant... it's usually about ten months, but you can even fly to Australia, pass the custom checks and then come back to your "old life" for up to five years after the grant, before the visa expires. It gives you a plenty of time to organize the move in every detail.

Guest Suzi Wong

Hi. Could someone please clarify this for me? Do you actually have 5 years from the visa grant to move to Australia permanently? I know you need to validate within the first year but, the way I read it, you need to reside in Australia for 2 years out of the first 5, with no more than 90 days out of the country at a time within those 5 years. Which means you actually need to move here within 3 years of the visa grant surely?

The reason I am worried is that our 20 year old daughter is in UK finishing uni and I am worried I don't totally understand the rules correctly. She is on our PR visa and I need to be 100% sure that she gets out here in time, so as not to lose her PR status.. I will check with our CO but I know a lot of people on here know the rules pretty well. Can anyone help? Thanks.

...but, the way I read it, you need to reside in Australia for 2 years out of the first 5, with no more than 90 days out of the country at a time within those 5 years...

Absolutely not.

That's the rule as reported on my grant letter:

"You have been granted a permanent visa which allows you to remain in Australia indefinitely. This visa allows you to travel to Australia as many times as you want until 09 August 2018. If you wish to travel to Australia after this expiry date, you will need to apply for, and be granted a Resident Return Visa (RRV)".

As you can read, no mention to a minimum stay during the first five years.

There is a minimum stay within those five years if you want to get a RRV immediately those five years are up.

There's also a minimum stay within those five years if you want to apply for citizenship.

But there's nothing to stop anyone arriving on the last day of the five-year period. They just won't be able to travel out of the country until they've clocked up the requisite time here to qualify for an RRV.