Permanent residency will not be granted until after my baby is born – help!

yvonnem

18 minutes ago, Sasha17 said:

Hi all,

Just came across this now.

Does anyone have any update on what happened after your babies were born?

I'm in the same boat. Me and my partner are both applying for PR together. (Our solicitor was on leave and is back today so hoping it gets lodged today!) 

Our baby is due in Feb but PR processing times are 8-10 months so unlikely to have PR before Feb.

I've been calling Centrelink for weeks but cant get through and cant seem to find the right answer to this.

I will be in my Job 12 months before I go on leave but wont get mat pay from work and my partner isn't on a good wage so Im really worried how we can survive without Gov pay nto help atleast pay rent.

Any help is really appreciated. Thank you :)

Hi there - I had my baby in March 2014, had the X-ray/medical immediately after and my PR was finalised/granted in May 2014. I applied for the PPL at that point (you have 12 months from birth of baby) and it was granted, even though I didn't have PR at time of birth. I sent in supporting docs to Centrelink from my GP & immi stating that the X-ray was not recommended and it wasn't questioned. I would just say get it lodged and hope for the best, there's not much else you can do as Centrelink won't give you any guarantees and the customer service staff don't have knowledge on immi related topics (or even Centrelink issues usually).  You could write a supporting letter with your application for PR, not sure if it would help. You'll also be asked to complete the X-ray and medical close to approval and if you're still pregnant you'll have that decision to make also.

I would say you'll most likely have the same outcome as me - applying when your PR is granted and baby may be a couple of months old - it is backdated though. You can then apply for family tax benefit a & b and if your partner is on a low income you may get a reasonable amount. You'll also get all the assistance with childcare which from July 2018 is going to be more generous to low-medium income families.

Good luck and try not to stress too much like I did towards the end of my pregnancy over this!

Edited by Melbkitty

Thanks for your reply! :)

Great new that you got it! I was thinking about doing the medical in hope that PR is through on time.

(I haven't heard any case where the baby was harmed by the chest x-ray). Do you think maybe yours was granted because IMMI advised against the X-ray so its an excuse that you had to wait for PR? Looks like I wont have a definite answer before the baby comes anyway lol.

Thanks so much for your help :) and for the other benefit info :) 

5 minutes ago, Sasha17 said:

Thanks for your reply! :)

Great new that you got it! I was thinking about doing the medical in hope that PR is through on time.

(I haven't heard any case where the baby was harmed by the chest x-ray). Do you think maybe yours was granted because IMMI advised against the X-ray so its an excuse that you had to wait for PR? Looks like I wont have a definite answer before the baby comes anyway lol.

Thanks so much for your help :) and for the other benefit info :) 

It's hard to say! The supporting docs could have really helped there but who knows - I'm sure they would use the same logic though if you'd had the medical and just waiting due to processing times.  I was all set to have the X-ray and had researched it greatly - there really is no risk and I can't remember why I decided against it, my parents were here at the time and my Mum probably talked me out of it knowing her...

Re the x ray, its down to your personal choice on that. No one is going to make you undertake it for a medical if you are pregnant. Many women tend to avoid having one done in pregnancy, preferring to wait till after. I recall reading people were exposed to more radiation on a long haul flight than they were in a chest Xray. Plenty of women fly when pregnant, often long haul. I guess those early weeks would be of most concern then, the first 12-14 or so. Don't know for sure, just what my thoughts go to re flying when pregnant. 

http://www.traveller.com.au/flight-risk-how-much-radiation-do-planes-expose-you-to-1a54m

End of the day, do what you feel comfortable doing. 

• 2 months later...

Hi all

Just picking up on this thread and hoping for more info/ personal experiences etc.
I am probably way ahead of myself as not even pregnant yet or lodged application for PR...however I am a PLANNER (Aries!) so like to cover all possible outcomes and be prepared.

Husband and I are here on 457 (he is primary) and eligible to apply for PR in Nov 2018. Trying to plan ahead to ensure that at the time of future child's arrival I am eligible to claim PLP, as well as the max maternity pay from my employer (which is 3 months' full pay, but only after 2 years of service, which means for sure no falling preggers before Sep 2018).
Provided all goes to plan and we apply for PR in Nov 2018, if it takes up to 1 year (Nov 2019) to be granted, it could mean I won't have PR when future baby is born....
Anyone else had luck claiming PLP after baby was born (and before PR was granted) such as @Melbkitty described above?

Just trying to work out if its worth waiting a few months to ensure all the criteria are met and we will get the PLP for sure
Or just wing it, but then have the stress of living off 1 income...As I am sure all of you know, having moved to a new country where the rules and entitlements are all different, it makes you feel like you'd previously taken this stuff for granted, and now there is a NEED to plan....

(I should probably mention that I will be 37 in April 2018, so waiting very much long is probably not wise!

Thanks all :-)