Permanent residency will not be granted until after my baby is born – help!

yvonnem

Hi,

Is anyone clear on eligibility for Government Parental leave or similar if you are not a permanent residency at the time of your baby’s birth but soon will be?

I have put my PR application on hold as I need to wait until after my baby is born to complete the medical (putting off the chest x-ray until afterwards).

The Australian Government website reads if though you have to be a resident when the baby is born but when I called the Families and Parents Government number the girl seemed unsure but told me I can apply for parental leave after my x-ray and once my residency is granted.

Gov website - To be eligible for Parental Leave Pay you must satisfy residence requirements. When your child is born or comes into your primary care you must be living in Australia and have Australian citizenship, or hold a permanent visa.

I don’t want to wait until this time (thinking everything is okay) only to find out I’m not eligible.

My Dr has advised he can give me permission to proceed with the x-ray to finalise my PR application providing a protective lead blanket is used– it isn’t known if this is 100% safe and I’m unsure about taking this risk.

Any info anyone can offer will be a great help. I just want to be able to plan realistically for baby arriving. If we don’t get any Government support things will be tough so just want to be prepared for this.

Thanks

Hey yvonnem, I had my PR granted on 31 OCT2013, after our baby was born on 27th August. You would definitely have to wait till your baby is born for your PR. But out of baby bonus, and paid parental leave by government, you can choose only one. So dont worry, even if they dont pay you for parental leave, you will get $5000 baby bonus in installments. Any other questions, dont hesitate to pm. I understand your position 100%. Cheers n good luck.

Binda

Hi,

Is anyone clear on eligibility for Government Parental leave or similar if you are not a permanent residency at the time of your baby’s birth but soon will be?

I have put my PR application on hold as I need to wait until after my baby is born to complete the medical (putting off the chest x-ray until afterwards).

The Australian Government website reads if though you have to be a resident when the baby is born but when I called the Families and Parents Government number the girl seemed unsure but told me I can apply for parental leave after my x-ray and once my residency is granted.

Gov website - To be eligible for Parental Leave Pay you must satisfy residence requirements. When your child is born or comes into your primary care you must be living in Australia and have Australian citizenship, or hold a permanent visa.

I don’t want to wait until this time (thinking everything is okay) only to find out I’m not eligible.

My Dr has advised he can give me permission to proceed with the x-ray to finalise my PR application providing a protective lead blanket is used– it isn’t known if this is 100% safe and I’m unsure about taking this risk.

Any info anyone can offer will be a great help. I just want to be able to plan realistically for baby arriving. If we don’t get any Government support things will be tough so just want to be prepared for this.

Thanks

It's a personal choice. I was pregnant at the time of my PR application and did not do the x-ray until after my baby was born. I was not prepared to take the risk for the sake of PR status.

Is your partner an Australian citizen or PR holder? If not, then remember the baby will not be an Australian citizen when born unless one of you has PR or one of you has citizenship.

If you don't have PR from the baby's birth you are not eligible for Paid Parental Leave, it states quite clearly on the application form. So you can't apply for it a few weeks later/months when your PR is granted on having the X-ray. I know of at least 2 people in the last 2 years however who have gained PPL after gaining PR after the birth - I don't know if paperwork has changed, if they lied on the form, or if DHS overlooked it.

The baby bonus is being scrapped on March 1st 2014 but if you have an Aussie partner & baby arrives before then, they could claim it.

I'm choosing to have the X-ray in my third trimester because the amount of radiation that the baby is exposed to is considered to be of a safe level, however I know many would still prefer not to take the risk as it is not a medical necessity.

Thanks for the replies everyone :biggrin:

My husband and I are both from the UK so we were applying for PR jointly. Baby is due on 12 April.

It sounds like I have two choices:

Make a decision to go ahead with the x-ray early Jan using the lead vest in the hope our PR comes through before our baby is born

Or

Don't take the risk but don't get anything from the Government due to just missing the baby bonus and not being a PR by the due date.

I was worried this was the case. When I called the Gov Human Services Dept I just wasn't confident with the girls answer - she said I could submit a claim for parental leave before our PR was through, providing we could send some kind of proof that our application for PR will be approved pending a clear x-ray result. I don't think Aus Immigration provide such a thing. The girl also said submit the claim but it could be rejected.

Thanks again everyone, we've got something to think about very carefully. It would still be great to hear any other thoughts or hear from anyone who went ahead with an x-ray while they were pregnant.

My husband and I are both from the UK so we were applying for PR jointly. Baby is due on 12 April.

Make a decision to go ahead with the x-ray early Jan using the lead vest in the hope our PR comes through before our baby is born

Or

Don't take the risk but don't get anything from the Government due to just missing the baby bonus and not being a PR by the due date.

I was worried this was the case. When I called the Gov Human Services Dept I just wasn't confident with the girls answer - she said I could submit a claim for parental leave before our PR was through, providing we could send some kind of proof that our application for PR will be approved pending a clear x-ray result. I don't think Aus Immigration provide such a thing. The girl also said submit the claim but it could be rejected.

Thanks again everyone, we've got something to think about very carefully. It would still be great to hear any other thoughts or hear from anyone who went ahead with an x-ray while they were pregnant.

Is it really worth taking a risk for about $5000!
  • Like 1

Or

In the end, the health of the baby should be the foremost concern. There is no guarantee that you will receive PR before the baby is born, even if you do use the lead vest.

Have you investigated how to apply for PR for your baby if he/she is born before you get PR?

I really don't understand why everyone thinks a chest xray is such a huge risk. You get just as much if not more radiation on the flight to Oz... and that's *without* the lead apron. An abdominal xray would be more iffy... but chest, from everything I've read, is safe. But each person has to make their own choice, of course.

I really don't understand why everyone thinks a chest xray is such a huge risk. You get just as much if not more radiation on the flight to Oz... and that's *without* the lead apron. An abdominal xray would be more iffy... but chest, from everything I've read, is safe. But each person has to make their own choice, of course.

I was advised by my Doctor about the risk (and yes it exists). My child was more important, but yes it is a personal choice.

No risk to the baby is worth it and that's why my husband and I are going to research more before we make a decision. Most websites from varying sources state the level of radiation isn't enough to cause risk but as there are no clear guidelines health professionals leave the decision to parents to avoid the probability of any blame, should anything go wrong.

The parental leave is just over $11,000

If baby is born before we are PRs we can easily add the baby to our application - costs just over $3000 to do this.

It's still something I need to consider - it is only money but it's the difference between struggling and having to consider if we can afford to stay in Sydney or if we need to go home and at least have some family support.

Thanks again for all your responses. If I hear of anything that will help others in this same situation I will share.

PPL would allow me to stay home with my baby for much longer rather than returning to work and utilising childcare. I've assessed the risks and I can't actually find anything that suggests detrimental effects of chest x rays to the fetus. If anyone can find information they suggests otherwise I would be really interested to read it, other than the blanket 'we do not recommend' from immigration as of course they do not want to condone that such a practice would be safe on pregnancy.

Making these decisions are a personal choice. I was one of a generation who were xrayed in uterus in the third trimester to estimate size, gestation and number. When ultrasounds came along they were less risky. So this stopped.

Good luck with your choice/decision, parenting becomes a long journey of such choices and dilemmas. I hope the pregnancies etc go well :)

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

I was advised by my Doctor about the risk (and yes it exists). My child was more important, but yes it is a personal choice.

I understand wanting to not take any risks, but most people who are against a chest xray will fly overseas without worrying about radiation levels for a second. I just don't understand the logic.

Anyway, obviously a personal choice, as you said. Congrats on the wee one. :)

I understand wanting to not take any risks, but most people who are against a chest xray will fly overseas without worrying about radiation levels for a second. I just don't understand the logic.

Anyway, obviously a personal choice, as you said. Congrats on the wee one. :)

Yep - infact during a flight from UK - AUS you would be exposed to more radiation than a chest x-ray:

http://www.hpa.org.uk/Topics/Radiation/UnderstandingRadiation/UnderstandingRadiationTopics/DoseComparisonsForIonisingRadiation/

• 2 years later...

Have just found this thread and wondered if anyone has experienced this since the above posts or has any advice for me as I am in the same position.

I am 36 weeks pregnant and started my PR application in February, it is likely to be granted at some point in August/ early September and there are unlikely to be any issues with the application, all documents from the checklist have been uploaded. This leaves me with the predicament where there could be a matter of days between giving birth and being granted permanent residency.

From humanservices.gov.au it states: "To be eligible for Parental Leave Pay, you must satisfy residence requirements. When your child is born or adopted, you must be living in Australia and: hold a permanent visa.

However, when I went in to Centrelink to ask questions they seemed to think this was a bit ridiculous for a matter of days and recommended I contact immigration (and my midwife), so I called them but it wasn't a very successful conversation. They put a note on my file but don't think they understood the urgency or stress this could be causing me, they mainly wanted to inform me that if the child is born before the visa is granted I MUST contact them to update the application - this then confused me because my partner (Father of child) is Australian, so it will be Australian from birth?

I would appreciate any thoughts or recommendations anyone has, it would be a huge relief to have this all sorted in the next couple of weeks and a huge difference to the next 6 months.

Have just found this thread and wondered if anyone has experienced this since the above posts or has any advice for me as I am in the same position.

I am 36 weeks pregnant and started my PR application in February, it is likely to be granted at some point in August/ early September and there are unlikely to be any issues with the application, all documents from the checklist have been uploaded. This leaves me with the predicament where there could be a matter of days between giving birth and being granted permanent residency.

From humanservices.gov.au it states: "To be eligible for Parental Leave Pay, you must satisfy residence requirements. When your child is born or adopted, you must be living in Australia and: hold a permanent visa.

However, when I went in to Centrelink to ask questions they seemed to think this was a bit ridiculous for a matter of days and recommended I contact immigration (and my midwife), so I called them but it wasn't a very successful conversation. They put a note on my file but don't think they understood the urgency or stress this could be causing me, they mainly wanted to inform me that if the child is born before the visa is granted I MUST contact them to update the application - this then confused me because my partner (Father of child) is Australian, so it will be Australian from birth?

I would appreciate any thoughts or recommendations anyone has, it would be a huge relief to have this all sorted in the next couple of weeks and a huge difference to the next 6 months.

Although you can ask DIBP to speed up your application processing, whether they will or not is up to them since there are a lot of applicants who would like to get PR more quickly for various reasons. 186 applications are typically taking about 7-8 month at the moment given the volume of applications (the 186 thread still has quite a few people from November waiting for a grant) so it's more likely to be a couple of months between giving birth and getting a visa vs. a matter of days.

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

Just came across this now.

Does anyone have any update on what happened after your babies were born?

I'm in the same boat. Me and my partner are both applying for PR together. (Our solicitor was on leave and is back today so hoping it gets lodged today!) 

Our baby is due in Feb but PR processing times are 8-10 months so unlikely to have PR before Feb.

I've been calling Centrelink for weeks but cant get through and cant seem to find the right answer to this.

I will be in my Job 12 months before I go on leave but wont get mat pay from work and my partner isn't on a good wage so Im really worried how we can survive without Gov pay nto help atleast pay rent.

Any help is really appreciated. Thank you :)