Cost of living compared to UK

markd1982

Well we went on holiday in Sydney last year and it was cheaper than going out in the South/London where we live... but obviously never lived in Sydney just holidays and we live down South and it's more expensive than up north anyway.

I read something the other day about Sydney and London and other cities. I will try and find it xx

Just a note for those reading this who don't realise, this is not a true cost of living comparison for people moving permanently to a new country.

The index is not one you can use to rank the different cost of living in each country as a local....it is an expat calculator which doesn't work accurately for ranking cost of living earning local wages as a permanent immigrant.

Edited by fish.01

Well we went on holiday in Sydney last year and it was cheaper than going out in the South/London where we live... but obviously never lived in Sydney just holidays and we live down South and it's more expensive than up north anyway.

I read something the other day about Sydney and London and other cities. I will try and find it xx

Yes, historically I've always found Sydney (inner suburbs and beaches) much cheaper than anywhere in the UK for eating out. That's based on multiple trips to the UK in the last 30-odd years. However restaurant and cafe eating don't give you much clue as to how much things cost in supermarkets etc.

The city comparison in that article refers to corporate expats, who typically live in expensive areas and eat out at expensive places, so without being able to break the various costs down, it doesn't say much.

I've just spent 26 days in the Uk with a thorough 1 hr cycle round Asda, another round primark, and TBh, I think Oz is cheaper, but I ain't getting into that argument...............I know the facts.............others can think what they want according to their agenda or inabilty to apply the exchange rate

Someone posted a spreadsheet on another thread where they compared actual costs. It came out about even, with some products dearer in Oz and some dearer in the UK. So I think that's what I'm going to rely on.

I've just spent 26 days in the Uk with a thorough 1 hr cycle round Asda, another round primark, and TBh, I think Oz is cheaper, but I ain't getting into that argument...............I know the facts.............others can think what they want according to their agenda or inabilty to apply the exchange rate

I kind of agree with that, we were back in Sept and I don't think there's a great deal in it.

Once you get used to your wage and where to buy stuff, it isn't massively different.

We used to spend about 80 quid a week in Saino's, now we spend about $175 a week in Woollies. Much of a muchness really.

I have been offered a job where I will have a basic salary of $41,000 which will be for 6mths before I start earning commission which should hopefully dramatically increase my salary thereafter. I have worked out we could rent somewhere for $350p/w which leaves $500p/w as disposable income.

Hi

I am based in Adelaide and happy to give some advice, but can you clarify first....

If you are earning $41,000 that will be $788 a week before tax. According to this tax calculator you will pay $100 a week tax which will leave you with $688 take home pay, not $850 per week.

http://www.paycalculator.com.au/

If the $41,000 INCLUDES super contributions at 9.25% then you will be on around $37,000 which will mean your take home pay will be around $638 per week.