Cost of living compared to UK

markd1982

Hi

Not sure if this is the right place to write this but hopefully it is.

My family and I are about to embark on the life changing move to Australia, specifically Adelaide where I have family already. The reason for my post is the conflicting information I am finding out about the cost of living compared to the UK. Can anyone shed some light on this?

I have been offered a job where I will have a basic salary of $41,000 which will be for 6mths before I start earning commission which should hopefully dramatically increase my salary thereafter. My concerns are those 1st 6 months and whether we would be able to afford to live without using savings? I have worked out we could rent somewhere for $350p/w which leaves $500p/w as disposable income. It's the rest I need to think about - food, council tax (Australian equivalent), fuel etc. We are a family of 4 (5yr old and 1yr old daughters). I am under no illusion that we would need to be froogle but is it affordable. Some places say double the cost in the UK and that will give you an idea and others say it's relatively comparable to the UK. Anyone care to advise from a "real persons" point of view?

Thank you in advance :)

Adelaide is dearer than brisbane and TBH, I wouldn't like to survive here, (and that's what you will be doing), on just 41k. If you were a permanent resident and not a 457, it may just be possible as you would have some benefits, such as rent allowance available to you. Also, although you say "basic salarly" i would check if the employer has included compulsory (for them) superann payments as many do. Although not illegal, it is morally questionable, as those superann benefits would not be available to you and would considerably reduce (by 9%) your actual take home pay.

Unless you're prapred to dig into your savings, i would say, don't risk it, as commissions aren't guaranteed, and, neither is your employment if you are coming on a 457.

Good luck.

We are going on my wife's Early Childhood Teaching experience so think it's a 459? Need to check with migration agent as can't remember. The job is in real estate and I am confident I would be earning well within the 6months but I am wary, especially now I've heard everyone's feedback.

Does anyone out there work in real estate? Would be good to hear from someone who has done what I'm planning on doing. Real stories would be appreciated.

It depends a bit on what you are used to as we all have different expectations. But, one of the very general rules of thumb is to take your current income in pounds and multiply it by 2.5 and that will give you the amount in dollars that buys the same lifestyle. It is very basic. But gives an approximation. So, $50k gives a rough lifestyle the same as earning £16.5k in the UK. Adelaide is (I think) a bit cheaper than a lot of Oz, so you might get away with a bit).

We are going on my wife's Early Childhood Teaching experience so think it's a 459? Need to check with migration agent as can't remember. The job is in real estate and I am confident I would be earning well within the 6months but I am wary, especially now I've heard everyone's feedback.

Does anyone out there work in real estate? Would be good to hear from someone who has done what I'm planning on doing. Real stories would be appreciated.

I could be wrong but real estate agents need a licence in SA or they used to and the course was quite expensive ( this might have changed as it's a while since I knew a lass that went into real estate)

Hi

We live in Bury, Lancs. We are moving to SA - specifically Adelaide. Not new to us as we lived in the hills for a while a few years back. However things have changed with economies and exchange rates.

I did a full calc of what we spend in UK currently (everything hair cuts, going out, bills, groceries, clothes etc) and costed those things in SA as best I could - your family could help)

But to cut a long one short it would cost us around 2.3 times more in aussie dollars to live the same albeit in a smaller property in the CBD!

So if your current wage is say £25,000 you are going to need $57,500 to live the same lifestyle.

BUT everyone is different and it will depend on your visa a PR visa will get you child benefits for a start. But to counter that schools are not free, even state schools can have admin fees, equipment costs and expensive uniforms, also where you plan on living can make a difference.

In the end you nee to do your own research but don't kid yourself it won't be easy.

At least the exchange rate has improved.

I have just made the move with my husband, albeit Brisbane not Adelaide. We both had good jobs on arrival but despite this, we could not have managed without a good amount of savings and a friends house to stop at until we found a rental.

I am a constant researcher, I looked at the cost of alsorts before we came out, had spreadsheets galore and we've still had to pay out far more than I initially thought. I don't think that is an 'Australia' thing or a 'Brisbane' thing, I think it is just the same whenever you have to set up so many things from scratch.

One off/initial fees will add up (gas canister fee, connection fees, 1st months payments may be double the usual payment....), unlocking a mobile phone, car rental insurance, first grocery shops where you have to buy everything!!

In all honesty, I couldn't have come with no savings, regardless of the amount I would be earning!!

Feel free to message me if you want a breakdown of our costs and the unexpected additions!

• 2 weeks later...
Although not illegal, it is morally questionable, as those superann benefits would not be available to you and would considerably reduce (by 9%) your actual take home pay.

Good luck.

what do mean by the benefits would not be available? My hubby has been offered a job where the salary has been given as including superannuation so I assume this to mean each month the money would be deducted from his salary before we receive it. Can they not do this if you are on a 457? Sorry I'm very confused lol

what do mean by the benefits would not be available? My hubby has been offered a job where the salary has been given as including superannuation so I assume this to mean each month the money would be deducted from his salary before we receive it. Can they not do this if you are on a 457? Sorry I'm very confused lol

You've been quoted the salary package cost (i.e. the total cost to the employer for employing you) but you seem to be in the mindset that it's the salary and that you'll be paying the superannuation. Don't think of this figure as salary as it isn't. You can work out the salary by dividing this figure by 109 and multiplying by 100. That is the actual salary that you will earn.

The employer pays the current 9% superannuation for everyone regardless of what visa they're on. Some employers will quote the net salary and state that superannuation is additional, some employers will quote the total cost to them and state that superannuation is included. There's nothing strange about this; either way is fine as long as they make it clear what's included.

It's not a lot to live on.

When I worked out our annual bills it was close to $60k (without food, toys, holidays or entertaining).

Just recalculated it. Now with 2monthly water bills, and a 2nd car, it's almost $75k. (But we overpay on loans etc. but have no kids)

(House/Rates, x2 cars/rego/insurance, house/health/dog insurance, Internet & FoxTel, Electric/Water/Gas)

Edited by Bibbs

Hi

Not sure if this is the right place to write this but hopefully it is.

My family and I are about to embark on the life changing move to Australia, specifically Adelaide where I have family already. The reason for my post is the conflicting information I am finding out about the cost of living compared to the UK. Can anyone shed some light on this?

I have been offered a job where I will have a basic salary of $41,000 which will be for 6mths before I start earning commission which should hopefully dramatically increase my salary thereafter. My concerns are those 1st 6 months and whether we would be able to afford to live without using savings? I have worked out we could rent somewhere for $350p/w which leaves $500p/w as disposable income. It's the rest I need to think about - food, council tax (Australian equivalent), fuel etc. We are a family of 4 (5yr old and 1yr old daughters). I am under no illusion that we would need to be froogle but is it affordable. Some places say double the cost in the UK and that will give you an idea and others say it's relatively comparable to the UK. Anyone care to advise from a "real persons" point of view?

Thank you in advance :)

According to this link http://www.taxcalc.com.au/#results you would have $690 pw after tax a lot less than you stated at $850, also rent at $350pw seems on the very low side even for adelaide? So no you could not. We are a family of 4 living in Perth and i would say we spend over $1000 pw as a minimum with no debt at all on just basic living costs and bills.

As with anything, everyone's situation is different - be that where they are from in the UK (as the costs of living vary greatly from north to south etc), what they plan to be doing in Australia and indeed where (as much like the UK there are differences) whether they are a couple/family, one wage/two wage etc.

Just make sure you do your homework first!

Edited by SteveandKirsty

We've been in Sydney 3 months and whilst there is no denying that that wage is low and will be tough to live on, from our experience it's not impossible to live in Oz on a budget- if you are realistic.

For the first 6 weeks we had our savings and my husband working 2 days a week on $20 ph. Now he works 38 hours and earns $52K but we can survive with just the basics.

Rent $510 pw

Petrol $40 pw

Train $40pw

Food $200-250pw

Broadband/Phone/ $110p/m

Elec $80p/m

Gas $30p/m and that's the lot for us at the moment apart from phone credit

We get $400 per fortnight for family assistance/ rent etc (based on both me and my husband earning at some point this year) and we pay for my youngest daughter to go to pre-school 2 days a week which is about $200 per fortnight.

Personally we have found Oz so much cheaper than where we were in the UK. We compare #of hours worked in each country to buy the product and Oz always wins. If you are confident of an increase in time then I would say you'll sirvive with savings to help for your extras and 6 months passes sooner than you'll realise- but make sure you have a back up fund if needed.

Superannuation is compulsary in oz regardless of visa. The amount is also increasing, so like me and others whose salary is based on total package, he will in effect recieve a pay cut every year as the super is rising to 12%. Its actually now 9.25 and will go up as below. If you are coming on a 457 visa, you can when you leave, claim your super back along with other temporary residents / temp visas. However, it will be heavily taxed (i think its 35%)

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=width: 139]

Financial Year

[/TD]

Rate (%)

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

2011/2012

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

2012/2013

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

2013/2014

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

2014/2015

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

2015/2016

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

2016/2017

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

2017/2018

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

2018/2019

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

2019/2020

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

• 1 month later...

We did all the calculations before we came and an effective exchange rate of about 2.3 seemed to be about right having been here 2+ years i.e. $46,000 will buy about the same as £20,000 back home but there will be big variances depending upon your personal spending profile. We found basic food costs and accommodation more expensive but petrol and transportation in general to be cheaper. Any labour-intensive service costs are more expensive as is anything imported.

Also beware as the first few months can be quite expensive as utilities and others all seem to take a quarter (or month) worth of payments in advance.

Personally we have found Oz so much cheaper than where we were in the UK. We compare #of hours worked in each country to buy the product and Oz always wins. If you are confident of an increase in time then I would say you'll sirvive with savings to help for your extras and 6 months passes sooner than you'll realise- but make sure you have a back up fund if needed.

You are the first person who has said this! EVERYONE else keeps saying how much dearer everything is in Australia. Is it because you're basing it on the # of hours worked rather than a straight conversion?

You are the first person who has said this! EVERYONE else keeps saying how much dearer everything is in Australia. Is it because you're basing it on the # of hours worked rather than a straight conversion?

I've just spent 26 days in the Uk with a thorough 1 hr cycle round Asda, another round primark, and TBh, I think Oz is cheaper, but I ain't getting into that argument...............I know the facts.............others can think what they want according to their agenda or inabilty to apply the exchange rate