Flights what do you prefer.

Guest Guest 47403

I think either a few days or nothing....I wanted to do it all in one go but Paul wanted to stop at singapore so in the end he won and we stopped over for about 8 hours. It was nice to lie down and shower but i would have still rather do it all in one go. I don't think a stopover of 12,24,48 hrs would make much difference to jet lag though. When i came to aus the first time i had no stop overs just an hour in between flights and the jetlag wasn't too bad, then going back it was ok, then going to NZ and back the jetlag was HELL, we had a 12 hour stop over in between. Now this time we were waking up in the night but still getting at least 6 hours sleep a night and now 9 days later we're nearly over the jetlag.

Edited by BritChickx

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely despise flying,dread it for days before,getting in the cab to the airport is like going to the guillotine,the queueing up i despise:mad:,getting stripped to my boxies after ive failed the alarm gate thing for the third time:no:,not sleeping at all on the plane,something always goes t#ts up for me at airports,i went for a ciggy in Munich airport (on the way back from the Athens champions lge final 07),this "after" going in to the departure lounge,i'd queued for ages btw,"somehow" i ended up walking through all kinds of offices,then when i got back into the "airport" as such,i was outside the departure lounge!:rolleyes:

Went to the gate to explain what had happened,and the official said "that is impossible,you must queue":policeman:

Me "well,its not impossible because ive just done it lad,ive already queued once,im not doing it again!":mad:

Officials(then a few of them came over)"you vill queue"!:policeman:

Had to queue all over again!!! and no,i wasnt even bevvied,been for a cpl of steins in Munich,but thats all,anyway,thats the kind of thing that happens to me

Hate it with a passion,so i have to have a cpl of days away from planes,pref in Singapore,each to their own tho

I think flying alone or with a partner is a completely separate thing to flying with small children

Small children make no allowances for your or their fatigue

Small children make you carry on when you feel like collapsing and dying

We stopped over at Singapore with our 2 year old when we emigrated for 12 hours, stayed in the transit hotel, it was wonderful, everybody slept including the 2 year old who had stayed awake the entire first leg.

Made second leg very bearable

when we went back last year and he was 6 we went straight through..which because hes older and well behaved was not bad at all but on the final leg on the way back he became super grouchy..most unlike him, very whingy...extreme tiredness in action..didnt make it as pleasant as it could have been...dont expect too much of littlies, id def have a minimum of 12 hrs stop if i had the choice, 12 hrs is all you need

Edited by HappyHeart

I think flying alone or with a partner is a completely separate thing to flying with small children

Small children make no allowances for your or their fatigue

Small children make you carry on when you feel like collapsing and dying

We stopped over at Singapore with our 2 year old when we emigrated for 12 hours, stayed in the transit hotel, it was wonderful, everybody slept including the 2 year old who had stayed awake the entire first leg.

Made second leg very bearable

when we went back last year and he was 6 we went straight through..

Obviously its different Fi,just giving my view on how i view the rigmarole of flying,would be even worse with kids i imagine,i just cant stand it,its stopped me going/seeing a lot of places i wanted to tbh

Obviously its different Fi,just giving my view on how i view the rigmarole of flying,would be even worse with kids i imagine,i just cant stand it,its stopped me going/seeing a lot of places i wanted to tbh

My post wasn't in reply to you hunny..or to anyone, just my view on how flying alone or with kids is a very different experience

We had a 1hr 45 min stop over in Singapore. We took off at 1.00 pm at Heathow and arrived at our holiday home at about 6pm stayed up until 9.00pm then we all went to bed. Me and the OH slept until 11am the following morning . We woke the kids at 1pm :laugh: Brilliant

Memories of our first night, we were in the suburb we first stayed in yesterday at Dan Murphys in currambine so son said can we drive past our first home in Perth..as he does...so we did a drive by...son cant actually remeber living there at all..we were there 6 weeks...he was 2 and 3 quarters....I remeber we arrived at about 3 am went straight to bed, me and daughter up around 10...husband and son still asleep..we went for a walk..to the local mcdonalds! 40 d heat..feeling very surreal..got back the boys still asleep, think i woke them around 1pm!!

Guest Guest26012

On our way back from the uk recently we had forty minutes between flights! I preferred that tbh although it was rushed it was over and done with quicker,

Guest littlesarah

Without kids, I'd always go for the shortest layover and get there and back ASAP. However, I'm usually able to sleep on the plane (being so short has its advantages, and I've got the whole routine down pat now!). But the next time we visit the UK will most likely be with a little one in tow, and I'm not sure what approach we'll take. I'd like to go for a minimal layover and fly to the regional airport closest to where my folks live, which means only a 45 minute drive on roads we're familiar with rather than the hour and half or so (minimum) from Heathrow. For us, a stopover in either direction eats into the time we have in the UK, and as our families there live about 4 hours apart, every day we lose with them seems like a waste. But I'm hoping my parents will visit us next year and save us the bother of a) figuring out how to do the trip & b) having to pay for flights...

Absolutely despise flying,dread it for days before,getting in the cab to the airport is like going to the guillotine,the queueing up i despise:mad:,getting stripped to my boxies after ive failed the alarm gate thing for the third time:no:,not sleeping at all on the plane,something always goes t#ts up for me at airports,i went for a ciggy in Munich airport (on the way back from the Athens champions lge final 07),this "after" going in to the departure lounge,i'd queued for ages btw,"somehow" i ended up walking through all kinds of offices,then when i got back into the "airport" as such,i was outside the departure lounge!:rolleyes:

Went to the gate to explain what had happened,and the official said "that is impossible,you must queue":policeman:

Me "well,its not impossible because ive just done it lad,ive already queued once,im not doing it again!":mad:

Officials(then a few of them came over)"you vill queue"!:policeman:

Had to queue all over again!!! and no,i wasnt even bevvied,been for a cpl of steins in Munich,but thats all,anyway,thats the kind of thing that happens to me

Hate it with a passion,so i have to have a cpl of days away from planes,pref in Singapore,each to their own tho

I'm hearing you i had a terrible time at the gate in Singapore. Whole thing was ridiculous if you ask me. Arrived from Melbourne all passengers we directed to follow through to departure area for next leg which was pretty much just down a long hallway no access to anything then we had a security check. Why i have no idea we pretty much just got of the plane and went through to the holding area. Queued for security check all good my turn i removed my coat took laptop out of bag put everything in xray area. Then a rather rude security man shoved me and told me to undress...i just stood there thinking undress why?? shoved again this time more roughly with same man telling me to undress promptly burst into tears at the thought of having undress in front of everyone including the horrid man. So started to do what he said my partner tried to speak up for me but was promptly told to move away. Removed my scarf around my neck not a head scarf like muslims wear and jacket then my shoes, started undo my shirt and was then waved through. Still don't know what the hell it was about about frightened the hell out of me though. Needless to say i will be avoiding Singapore airport in future.

Edited by Guest

I'm hearing you i had a terrible time at the gate in Singapore. Whole thing was ridiculous if you ask me. Arrived from Melbourne all passengers we directed to follow through to departure area for next leg which was pretty much just down a long hallway no access to anything then we had a security check. Why i have no idea we pretty much just got of the plane and went through to the holding area. Queued for security check all good my turn i removed my coat took laptop out of bag put everything in xray area. Then a rather rude security man shoved me and told me to undress...i just stood there thinking undress why?? shoved again this time more roughly with same man telling me to undress promptly burst into tears at the thought of having undress in front of everyone including the horrid man. So started to do what he said my partner tried to speak up for me but was promptly told to move away. Removed my scarf around my neck not a head scarf like muslims wear and jacket then my shoes, started undo my shirt and was then waved through. Still don't know what the hell it was about about frightened the hell out of me though. Needless to say i will be avoiding Singapore airport in future.

That was out of order wasnt it!:no: i live in hope of a rather rude security woman getting me in the interrogation room and ordering me to undress tbh,but thats another story:wink:

I think your supposed to remove your coat & shoes before metal detector thingy. I'm sure if memory serves me that's right. You poor thing.

That was out of order wasnt it!:no: i live in hope of a rather rude security woman getting me in the interrogation room and ordering me to undress tbh,but thats another story:wink:

Couldn't wait to get the hell out of there to be honest. A large g&t was had as soon as i could. Bang out of order.

I would not stop to break the journey, I would only stop if I wanted a stop over and then I would stop for three nights or so. Otherwise straight through, I usually have about 90 minutes to 3 hours between flights.

90 minutes to 3 hours:smile:,you're so .....ing organised an that you aren't yer girl!,i knew yer would be:laugh: