School uniforms

ItchyFeet76

Its not just hot, the UV can get VERY high so very important you use plenty of sunscreen especially if you go swimming as you will burn especially if you have pale skin also really important to wear a hate not just a cap, Skin Cancer is well known in Aus as being linked to being sunburnt on a regular basis especially when young.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not just hot, the UV can get VERY high so very important you use plenty of sunscreen especially if you go swimming as you will burn especially if you have pale skin also really important to wear a hate not just a cap, Skin Cancer is well known in Aus as being linked to being sunburnt on a regular basis especially when young.

UV is an issue all over Australia, especially so in WA. Even on a cooler day, sunblock is a must. I see a lot of very pink English people around. Australia has the highest cases of skin cancer in the world.

My school is so strict on uniforms. The colour is blue but you can't even buy grey trousers as they have to have the school name embroidered on them. Why not wait and see what the uniform looks like, you can then always get a delivery of clothes from ASDA (I think they do free delivery to Aus, and if not, it'll still be cheaper than here)? You may just have to accept that uniforms cost a lot over here. Get second hand if you can, if your kids are in prep/year 7 (begining of school) or thereabout then you could just get it new/excelent condition and get it a size up or two to make it last? Get to know people in the area who may be able to give you hand me downs? Try looking at local charity shops as we regularly find cheap official jumpers or dresses. I have noticed though, that the uniform is really good quality and unless you out grow it, it will generally last you for years. Also, if you don't mind returning them, then just get a $10 pair of shoes from Kmart or somewhere, when they break (they WILL break at some point) return them and ask for a free replacement. I know it seems like a hassle but a pair of school shoes for $10-20 for the whole year is better than $100 for a year. A bit despicable, I know, but if your kids don't mind doing it, why not send them into the lost property and see what they can dig out that fits? I've personally never done ti but if I ever lost my jumper I'd be pinching one out of the box like a flash. I know plenty of people who find jumpers/books on the ground at parks, wait a while, and if it's still there the next day or so take it for themselves. It is horrible to think of it being done to you but hey, a free jumper doesn't sound so bad if it saves you $60 does it? I hope you can get a few ideas here, or even just console yourself knowing that you're not the only one shocked at the uniforms, and good luck with your Australian adventure.

A friend told me she gets a uniform allowance twice a year through family assistance so that would help with the cost. I haven't had anything like taint yet but think its Jan and June time. The local schools near where I live seem to hall have very individual uniforms nothing you could buy out of kmart. Voluntary contributions for 2014 are about $450 for my sons high school

I'm not sure what visa you would be moving to Australia on but uniform allowance is for Au citizens im sure, always worth while applying and being turned down rather than never knowing if you're entitled to it or not. School fees this year for us are around $300 each. Remember they ARE voluntary, but even though it seems alot of money it is always best to pay at least some of it or for one child if you can afford it.

I'm not sure what visa you would be moving to Australia on but uniform allowance is for Au citizens im sure, always worth while applying and being turned down rather than never knowing if you're entitled to it or not. School fees this year for us are around $300 each. Remember they ARE voluntary, but even though it seems alot of money it is always best to pay at least some of it or for one child if you can afford it.

T Abbott is trying to scrap the "school kids bonus" ( the money was coming from the mining tax which he is also scrapping ) all we can do is hope the changes are blocked in the Senate.

Edited by Tina2
Spelling error

I'm here on a 190 and my pal who told me is now a citizen so likely I won't get it! Never mind I didn't budget for it so would have been a nice surprise if I did get it! I know contributions supposedly voluntary but I've paid them anyway as could feel guilty if not!

When telling friends about the costs we would always emphasize the "voluntary". Ie: Pay or we'll hang a bell round your childs neck and everyone will know you didn't pay. This year we're not in a financial position to pay them, but I know people who NEVER pay. They simply say "It's a private school, I'm not paying!" I'd feel guilty too if I could pay and didn't.

I'm here on a 190 and my pal who told me is now a citizen so likely I won't get it! Never mind I didn't budget for it so would have been a nice surprise if I did get it! I know contributions supposedly voluntary but I've paid them anyway as could feel guilty if not!

Im not a visa expert but if the 190 is a PR visa, you should get it. The amount differs depending on if your child is high school or primary. You don't have to be a citizen.

Cal x

Where I am there is pride in the uniform, it totally equalizes all the kids, private school or public school, they all do a great selection of pre loved, I personally would want to send my child on their first day in the right uniform, it's tough enough starting a new school, even tougher if you don't have the right uniform. I wouldn't waste my money packing a container with UK uniforms, the climate here is different and as such so are school uniforms, we have the equivalent of target etc staples here and I would wait to see which school, therefore which color and source it here!!

• 2 weeks later...
Where I am there is pride in the uniform, it totally equalizes all the kids, private school or public school, they all do a great selection of pre loved, I personally would want to send my child on their first day in the right uniform, it's tough enough starting a new school, even tougher if you don't have the right uniform. I wouldn't waste my money packing a container with UK uniforms, the climate here is different and as such so are school uniforms, we have the equivalent of target etc staples here and I would wait to see which school, therefore which color and source it here!!

Yes I agree that we wouldn't want our children to stand out, and I'm aware that there are budget shops in Aus, too, but if they require everything to have a logo on then I don't have the option of using the budget shops. We'll be stretched really tight if that is the case - particularly when my youngest starts school. It will mean less money to go on the 'quality of life' stuff, such as exploring the new area, day trips, etc. and as we're only coming for a couple of years we don't want to be spending most of that time indoors saving our pennies for when the next size of uniform needs to be bought!

But yes, inevitably we'll have to 'suck it up'. I just don't see why everything has to be logo-ed - seems like a sneaky tax on education... :skeptical:

Yes I agree that we wouldn't want our children to stand out, and I'm aware that there are budget shops in Aus, too, but if they require everything to have a logo on then I don't have the option of using the budget shops. We'll be stretched really tight if that is the case - particularly when my youngest starts school. It will mean less money to go on the 'quality of life' stuff, such as exploring the new area, day trips, etc. and as we're only coming for a couple of years we don't want to be spending most of that time indoors saving our pennies for when the next size of uniform needs to be bought!

But yes, inevitably we'll have to 'suck it up'. I just don't see why everything has to be logo-ed - seems like a sneaky tax on education... :skeptical:

The logos are an important part of the school identity.

Quality of life stuff? Well school fees, book lists and school uniforms are bloody expensive, that's the same for all of us and a fact of life.

Once you are here go on the local buy and sell fb pages, there are often second hand uniforms for sale.

I've said this before but this isn't unique to Aus, we left the UK 7 years ago, my daughter was only in High school for 3 months - all the uniform including the skirt had a logo on it, my sons primary school had a logo on the polo shirt and a separate PE kit which also had a logo on the T. shirt - none of it was cheap (neither was a private school by the way).

Honestly, buying the school uniform isn't going to stop you having a day out.

I honestly have yet to see a single kid from any school around here wearing the UK style of grey school trousers. Not a single one. One school wears a navy short, my son's a grey type. Another one is a bottle green. And all of them are a different style and type to what kids wore in England. I wish I could explain it better, but they are nowhere near so formal looking as my son's UK uniform ones. They are looser, slightly longer and a different 'look' to the material. More casual looking.

My son, had I sent him in his UK school shorts would have stood out like a sore thumb in them. His school don't mind non logo polo shirts so I bought a couple from the school and one from Target or someplace. And 2 pairs of school shorts new. And one school sweater second hand ($2). I could also find shorts in the stores in the same style/colour but there wasn't much in the price so I got the school ones.

Also I find as the weather is drier and there is less mud on the ground, I don't need to give my son a fresh set of clothes each day. He manages with 3 tops and 2 pairs of shorts now, whereas in the UK, even in summer I was giving him a clean pair of shorts and a top each day as he got so grubby. Happens less here and the shorts stay way cleaner (perhaps less so in winter but he'll have some joggers then if needed).

Oh, joggers. There is no actual school trousers at my sons school. They have bright blue joggers for winter if they want to wear them. No grey option, just the blue.

If he went to either of the 2 other schools I'd have to buy the school polos as they are striped and not available in any of the cheapy stores. They only sell block coloured tops.

Also girls wear a lot of skorts here. Bung 'school skorts, Australia' into Google to give you an idea. Nicer in the warmer weather and loads of girls wear them instead of the summer dresses (which are pretty hideous round here) with a polo.

I found some boys shorts, which is what all the state schools wear round here.

https://www.lowes.com.au/products.aspx?catid=192

If you are sure the schools you are looking at wear the UK kind of school shorts/trousers, great, but I'd check carefully as 'grey shorts' here (at least where we are) does not mean UK style grey, but the ones in the pics in that link above.

O and sizing is different. School has size 4, 6 or 8 (upwards) and we went for 6. Its a bit baggy but will last longer as he has growing room. 4 was too small (he is 5 going on 6).

Maybe we're spoilt over here then because the only compulsory logoed item is a jumper (sweater). We do buy logoed polo shirts too though, just to help them fit in (as most other people seem to have these too).

Will definitely check out the secondhand market when we get there, but I wanted to include full-price (brand new) prices in my budget to work on a 'worst-case scenario', and then if we can get them cheap it's a bonus :-)

Yes I agree that we wouldn't want our children to stand out, and I'm aware that there are budget shops in Aus, too, but if they require everything to have a logo on then I don't have the option of using the budget shops.

I wouldn't get fixated on this issue.

(1) Many schools don't require everything to be logo-ed

(2) Most schools have their own second hand uniform shop.

School uniform will be a very small component of overall cost of living.

• 8 months later...
I wouldn't get fixated on this issue.

(1) Many schools don't require everything to be logo-ed

(2) Most schools have their own second hand uniform shop.

School uniform will be a very small component of overall cost of living.

Hi Skani, I agree with you, school uniform will be very small component.

-Having specific logo of school exhibit its motto

-Yes most schools have, but I don't think so that all student's parent may be interested to buy such shops

• 4 weeks later...

In the UK but 2nd hand uniform is the norm at my son's school - I'll be off to the uniform sale on Friday, parents donate the items and they are sold for parent council funds. Big ticket items tend to get sold via the mum's FB page - I got an almost new blazer this year for £45 - ticket price £130.

Having spent almost £400 on uniform when he started last year, I agree entirely with what someone else said - only buy one of everything until you know for sure they get worn...we have quite a few 'almost new' and 'completely unworn' items and other stuff bought at the school uniform ship that didn't need to be. Rugby socks are sold at £7.99 - the same ones (identical brand and colour) are half the price on eBay! Much more relaxed about it this year :)