Sending Xmas pressies back to the UK

natalietrueman84

Hi All,

Its my first xmas away from my family and I would like to send them something a small gift, but i know the postage is very expensive (usually more than the actual gift!). Does any one know of any nice gifts I can send back home to family and friends which ar elight and wont cost the earth?

Much appreciated!

Natalie

Whatever you do, do it quick. Last posting is not far off. My local PO said last week of November was good but defo by the end if first week of Dec if you wanted a parcel there in time.

I'm posting a few cards and a couple of little things this weekend.

• 3 weeks later...
Also bear in mind that gifts over 36GBP entering the UK from a non-EU country will attract duties and taxes as outlined here http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/customs-travel/customs/postal/. You are probably better off ordering them from UK companies.

I've been caught out with the duties and taxes before on gifts sent to u.k. not very nice when you've sent something over and person receiving the gift has to pay duties and tax. I only use u.k. websites now.

I have just sent some Australian chocolate - Cherry Ripes through SANZA a UK based website and sent a big box for under £15. They have gift boxes as well. To send 1 Cherry Ripe block from Perth was going to be at least $6.50 in postage alone and anything heavier $15.

I've been caught out with the duties and taxes before on gifts sent to u.k. not very nice when you've sent something over and person receiving the gift has to pay duties and tax. I only use u.k. websites now.

I too have just been caught out and my daughter got a card from Royal Mail saying there is a Customs fee of 16pounds+! I didn't know about the limit on gifts and have often sent and received gifts above that amount without any fees. I told my daughter to forget it as she can buy the pyjamas and make up that I sent for about 16 quid in the UK. I will order her something online and my family and I have agreed to no more overseas postage in future, and will shop online instead. I spent over $100 on postage just for a few gifts, and when I went to post Christmas cards, AusPost have done away with the $1.60 'card only' option and are charging $2.60, so it'll be Moonpig cards from now on too.

OMG dmjg...you are SOOOOOO prepared!..I'm good but not that good. :)

I've stopped sending - costs way too much - so they get stuff that I wrapped in newspaper when I was last home - heheh.

I told them where it all is and they can collect at their leisure..I put post-it notes on them. Well, I barely had time to do it, let alone do it properly.

Anyhooo its the thought that counts!!! LOL