Working in Port Melbourne

pumpkinpie

Dh may have found a job in Port Melbourne. (We currently live in Sydney) Can you advise on family friendly areas to live that would work using public transport for his commute. I've looked on the journey planner at random suburbs but they all seem to take 1-2 hrs. Places I've looked are Doncaster, Balwyn, Sandringham, Brighton, burwood, Camberwell etc etc...

Any ideas would be helpful! Thanks!

There are really only 2 trams that go anywhere near Port Melbourne ( 109 & 1 ). 109 runs closer to the main shopping strip of Port Melbourne, not sure what part he will be traveling to. Port Melbourne & South Melbourne are good options. We currently live in South Melbourne and it is very family friendly. Trams can be quite slow if you are as far out as Camberwell as they share the roads with cars in a lot of places, which is a nightmare during peak hours. You could look for somewhere along a train line, and then transfer to the tram at Flinders or southern cross.

Rents are high anywhere within striking distance of Port Melbourne and as has been said need to get the light rail from the city, would be easier to come from Brunswick as that tram goes to St Kilda and uses the light rail through Port Melbourne.

South Melbourne, Port Melbourne lots of apartments. Lots of older well heeled people live in the area. In fact my friend and I think it would be ideal for us if we downsize at some stage in the future, lots of our peers there.

There are really only 2 trams that go anywhere near Port Melbourne ( 109 & 1 ). 109 runs closer to the main shopping strip of Port Melbourne, not sure what part he will be traveling to. Port Melbourne & South Melbourne are good options. We currently live in South Melbourne and it is very family friendly. Trams can be quite slow if you are as far out as Camberwell as they share the roads with cars in a lot of places, which is a nightmare during peak hours. You could look for somewhere along a train line, and then transfer to the tram at Flinders or southern cross.

Thanks you, thats helpful. I know he'll be 3 km's from a tram stop, so a bit of a distance. All the journey planner routes advice a bus into the city, Southern Cross then trains, trams etc.

Where abouts in the South are you?