Commonwealth Jobs (ACT Government Jobs) now shut for outsiders

Maggie2012

Just to update those who are in the relocation process. Commonwealth jobs are officially shut for outsiders and are no longer advertised externally. Due to the governments plan to shed 12000 jobs any opening will be filled internally.

THESE ARE THE FACTS: it just got even harder to get a job in your nominated occupation in Canberra.

I have no desire to stop anyone immigrating, but you better know the TRUE facts. We were withheld crucial information and despite those few lucky ones (makes you think) anyone applying for a job will compete against 20+ applicants for each role, any role.

FYI

Um, you have always had to be a citizen to get an APS position unless you had an amazing, not to be found in Australia, skill set in which case the secretary could waive the citizenship requirement. Goodness knows how many times that has been said on here so it should come as a shock to no one!

ACT government positions are different, so please don't conflate the two. As PR you may apply for ACT Gov positions as has been said on here many, many times, so I am a tad confused that you believe you gave been led astray by incorrect information!

Only 20 applicants for a position - wow, things have improved a lot since I left!

Edited by Quoll

Exactly, jobs with the Australian Federal Government are restricted to Australian citizens, with rare exceptions. Jobs with the Australian Capital Territory Government are open to permanent residents. Perhaps someone told you that vacancies would not be advertised externally, like on the Jobs ACT portal or so.

Anyway, I realize you must be facing difficulties but having a negative attitude doesn't make things easier. I tell you from personal experience.

Edited by Rangel

I think I was just a permanent resident when I joined the Commonwealth Public Service in 1981. Wonderful days when they recruited clerks and clerical assistants by the score. Now, most of the jobs are casual. I've worked for the ATO this year and last year on a casual basis. When there is work, you work. When there is none, you do nothing or look for other jobs.

I think I was just a permanent resident when I joined the Commonwealth Public Service in 1981. Wonderful days when they recruited clerks and clerical assistants by the score. Now, most of the jobs are casual. I've worked for the ATO this year and last year on a casual basis. When there is work, you work. When there is none, you do nothing or look for other jobs.

I think the citizen requirement came in in about 1984 because it was about that time that I got citizenship so I could jump ship from ACT Gov to APS - only reason I did it really!