"Urgent" citizenship ceremony for students - anyone with experience?

LukeM

Just did my Citizenship test last Friday, got 100% :biggrin:

We were told that we could apply for an 'urgent' ceremony, as the ceremonies were full before the census date and I can't afford to pay for another semester up-front so want to get HECS.

I've got the form but I assume they'll want some kind of documentation to back up the application. Has anybody done this/for this purpose? I know lots of web pages say that it's "not a valid reason" (to apply for an urgent ceremony for the purposes of getting HECS), but the CO at DIAC in Brisbane told us it was fine and we should go ahead and apply for it.

Anybody?

It is if you can't afford to pay upfront for another semester... Sure, it's more a 'personal' thing and the forms do indeed say that it's not classed as a valid reason but I've read about people doing it and our CO told us we could apply... My question was merely what documentation could or should be provided to support the application.

Deferring for a semester isn't an option as that would delay my graduation by more than a year. So if I could get an earlier ceremony that would be ideal.

Guest JUSTDOIT

I am just about to go through an urgent ceremony next week. I was approved on 23/10/2013. All you need is your Enrollment Advice Notice and Tax Invoice showing your Fees for the term. Print them and attach to the form. If you do this,they will organize the Ceremony for you ASAP.

I am just about to go through an urgent ceremony next week. I was approved on 23/10/2013. All you need is your Enrollment Advice Notice and Tax Invoice showing your Fees for the term. Print them and attach to the form. If you do this,they will organize the Ceremony for you ASAP.

Hey JUSTDOIT

What did you include in the form that they gave you where you had to write a statement detailing your reasons for the request?

I've got the confirmation of enrollment letter and I can easily go grab my invoices online. Hopefully shouldn't be too much of an issue. :biggrin:

I never expected DIAC was so efficient.

Lodged my application yesterday and got an email today telling me the appointment is on 29th Nov :P:P:P

I just submitted my citizenship application online and will attach documents soon.

Anyone has a rough idea how long it takes for DIAC to send the appointment letter ?!?!

I am Melbourne based by the way.

What did you do, JUSTDOIT? I emailed them my stuff and the next day they emailed back saying they want the 2014 stuff "nearer the end of January". Do they know how annoying they are?! :arghh: Why can't they just take it now and sort it out so it's off my mind?! Are you doing summer semester maybe?

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone, how has your ceremony been ?

I got mine approved on 29/11/2013. I checked with the immigration and was told I would not be attending the ceremony on 26/01.

So I have to apply for urgent ceremony so I can get HECS for the coming semester.

I went to immigration today, filled out a form, and attached my fee statements as evidence.

Does anyone know how long it takes approximately to get a reply from them?

I am in Melbourne btw .... xx

Hey everyone, how has your ceremony been ?

I got mine approved on 29/11/2013. I checked with the immigration and was told I would not be attending the ceremony on 26/01.

So I have to apply for urgent ceremony so I can get HECS for the coming semester.

I went to immigration today, filled out a form, and attached my fee statements as evidence.

Does anyone know how long it takes approximately to get a reply from them?

I am in Melbourne btw .... xx

Hi ikgc

I don't think the procedure is any different in VIC to QLD.

I had my citizenship test in November. When I initially tried to apply for the early ceremony, they told me that I had to wait until I had confirmation of enrolment for Semester 1, 2014.

I finally got hold of that info yesterday and I emailed it to the Ceremony team and they have just responded this morning to say that I will have my ceremony in the first week of March and that I'll get a letter with all the info in February.

At least for the QLD Ceremony team, it took them less than 24 hours to respond every time I have emailed them.

I have had to send them:

- Completed urgent ceremony application form

- A copy of my confirmation of enrolment for Semester 1, 2014.

- A copy of my invoice for fees for Semester 1, 2014.

I hope that helps (if you have had any trouble organising your early ceremony, as I may have mis-read your post). Best of luck getting it sorted if you haven't yet, and if you have, congrats and hope the ceremony goes well/went well for you.

Thank you for the post!

After a long wait I gave immi a call this morning and found out my request was approved.

The ceremony letter is on the way being sent out and I am going to a departmental ceremony on 4th Feb, well before the payment due date for next semester, 14th Feb.

Best of luck to you too, I hope you will have a wonderful moment at the ceremony.

ps. After checking with the immigration on the phone, the ceremony letter arrived in the mailbox two hours later !!

Hi ikgc

I had my citizenship test in November. When I initially tried to apply for the early ceremony, they told me that I had to wait until I had confirmation of enrolment for Semester 1, 2014.

I finally got hold of that info yesterday and I emailed it to the Ceremony team and they have just responded this morning to say that I will have my ceremony in the first week of March and that I'll get a letter with all the info in February.

At least for the QLD Ceremony team, it took them less than 24 hours to respond every time I have emailed them.

I have had to send them:

I hope that helps (if you have had any trouble organising your early ceremony, as I may have mis-read your post). Best of luck getting it sorted if you haven't yet, and if you have, congrats and hope the ceremony goes well/went well for you.

Edited by ikgc

Hey guys, was just wondering how long does it take for the immigration to reply to my request for urgent ceremony? And what is s departmental ceremony?

really quick, i got it approved on the same day. departmental ceremonies are held by the immigration department in your city, not local council.

really quick, i got it approved on the same day. departmental ceremonies are held by the immigration department in your city, not local council.

Thanks, i sent them a letter on thursday, hopefully receive the letter by this week.

Edited by Guddu

• 4 months later...

Hi, I was wondering how much did it take for the urgent Citizenship Ceremony to take place from the date when you had submitted your application? Also, how did the Department of Immigration contact you to notify regarding the same?

Hi, I was wondering how much did it take for the urgent Citizenship Ceremony to take place from the date when you had submitted your application? Also, how did the Department of Immigration contact you to notify regarding the same?

You would be better starting your own thread than posting on threads that have not been active for a long time.

Citizenship test 1st week of November.

Emailed DIAC to apply for urgent ceremony in the first week of January, they scheduled me for one in the first week of March.

So it was a while. 4 months from taking the test to having the ceremony.

They won't ask you to apply, you have to apply. The information about how to apply, including forms, are on the Internet and freely available - Google it and make sure you send it to the Ceremonies section of the State that you are living in and make sure that you submit any relevant documentation with it at the time.

• 1 month later...
Guest baran

How long the did it take for you to be approved? I only have 20 days from the date of application (the date that I become eligible) to the census date deadline. DO you think it would be possible to get my citizenship by then?

How long the did it take for you to be approved? I only have 20 days from the date of application (the date that I become eligible) to the census date deadline. DO you think it would be possible to get my citizenship by then?

That would be quite unlikely I would think. As you know, when you become eligible, you have to apply - then when that's approved you have to book the test and sit the test, then you'd have to organize the Ceremony.

In other words - if you are currently not eligible and have not made an application yet it is very unlikely that you would be eligible in time for semester 2's census date.

Lots of people are trying to do this every year to become eligible for HECS. If the timing isn't quite right you miss out unfortunately.

I had that fear too. I sympathise.

May as well just make sure that you have all of your documentation and stuff ready and go for it ASAP and see how you go.

• 5 years later...
On 09/01/2014 at 11:36, LukeM said:

Hi ikgc

I have had to send them:

Hi there,

I know I'm posting in this thread many years after it was active, but I'm hoping you guys can still respond.

So I applied for my citizenship January 2019 when I was 17. I had to pay for my first year fees upfront.

My application was approved in November 2019. I'm still waiting for my ceremony date. 

It has now been three months since my approval date and I'm still waiting. The census date is on the 31st of March. 

Last week Thursday (13 February) I posted my invoices alongside the urgent ceremony request form to the address specified on the form (in Sydney). 

I am still waiting for some form of response from the department. 

I live in Geelong,  Vic btw. 

Do you guys have any suggestions of what I should do as I'm starting to panic!

Thanks!

3 hours ago, panashes said:

Hi there,

I know I'm posting in this thread many years after it was active, but I'm hoping you guys can still respond.

So I applied for my citizenship January 2019 when I was 17. I had to pay for my first year fees upfront.

My application was approved in November 2019. I'm still waiting for my ceremony date. 

It has now been three months since my approval date and I'm still waiting. The census date is on the 31st of March. 

Last week Thursday (13 February) I posted my invoices alongside the urgent ceremony request form to the address specified on the form (in Sydney). 

I am still waiting for some form of response from the department. 

I live in Geelong,  Vic btw. 

Do you guys have any suggestions of what I should do as I'm starting to panic!

Thanks!

Hi! 
give immigration a call and check about the urgent ceremony

• Like 1