457 to perm in 2 years

Guest Petra & Dave

Guest Petra & Dave

We are trying for a perm visa first but if that fails will go over on a 457 if possible ,I know you can get your employer to sponser this but if you have to wait the 2 years is there a age restriction on this ?

Guest Gollywobbler
We are trying for a perm visa first but if that fails will go over on a 457 if possible ,I know you can get your employer to sponser this but if you have to wait the 2 years is there a age restriction on this ?

Hi Petra

Are you trying for one of the visas that has an inflexible cut-off age of 45, such as the s/c 175 visa?

There is no set age-limit for a 457 visa. However, if the applicant has reached 45 by the time an application for a skilled PR visa is made then the options are the onshore ENS subclass 856 visa or the onshore subclass 857 RSMS visa.

Both of the above contain identical provisions for a potential waiver of the normal eligibiity criteria. Please see here:

Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (Subclass 119/857)

For more information about all 3 of the above visas, please see here:

Visa Options - Employer Sponsored Workers - Workers - Visas & Immigration

Information Booklets - Applications & Forms - Visas & Immigration

Presumably one of you already has (or is confident of obtaining) a positive skills assessment? With that under your belts you could proceed straight to the offshore version of the ENS or RSMS visas if you and the employer both wish.

Alternatively, the Contract of Employment may say that the Employer will do his own bit to sponsor and nominate you for one of the PR visas within, say, 3 months of your commencing work with him. There is no requirement to spend two years on a 457 visa if a positive skills assessment is held. The rest is a matter of negotiation between you and the prospective Employer.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest graeme

Hi Petra and Dave,

I am Graeme, Elysia's dad. Thanks for the tip about joining this forum. We are trying for the 1276 skilled independant and looking at Brisbane as a place to move to.

Speak to you soon!

Graeme

Archived