passport renewal on Permanent resident visa

chas77

Hi Guys

I'm a permanent UK resident in AUS. Can anyone please tell me the best thing to do if you lose your UK passport. Do I need to apply for a new permanent resident's visa (bloody hope not). I think the passport I lost was coming due for renewal. Also, if you leave the country with a UK passport on a permanent visa, I heard its difficult to get back in, or you need a re-entry visa, could anyone clarify these issues. Would be awesome.

Thanks

Get your new passport and inform immigration of the details, your visa will be transfered to your new passport number. You do not need to pay for new visa. they do not put a new sticker in the passport unless you ask for one and i believe there is a charge for the sticker. otherwise it is electronic checking of passport and no new sticker is required.

Once your visa is 5 years old you need a residents return visa, (until then you can leave and enter on your visa with no problems). to move in and out of the country, not a problem and issued very quickly normally. The visa you hold allows you to live here permanently but to move in and out of the country after 5 years you need to be a citizen or a RRV holder.

Edited by carlhall

Hi Guys

I'm a permanent UK resident in AUS. Can anyone please tell me the best thing to do if you lose your UK passport. Do I need to apply for a new permanent resident's visa (bloody hope not). I think the passport I lost was coming due for renewal. Also, if you leave the country with a UK passport on a permanent visa, I heard its difficult to get back in, or you need a re-entry visa, could anyone clarify these issues. Would be awesome.

Thanks

You don't need a new visa or a return visa, you still have your visa. It is your passport you lost not your visa. :biggrin:

So you get a new passport and then you notify Australian immigration so that they can link the visa you still have to the new passport.

thank you for that. what's the easiest way to get a new passport? do I need to book an interview with Australia post? immigration told me to go to local consulate, but consulate are no longer handling passport renewals. ive checked out the high commission in Wellington and they have a web page that indicates I need to go to Australia post. Immigration told me I cant do that unless im an Australian citizen. So i'm confused now, argh!