Willetton

Candygirl

We are moving to a rental in Willetton on Monday and we cannot wait. We have fallen in love with the area.

Does anyone have any recommendations for restaurants, shops etc. We have been to Southlands to look at the Woolies and Gilbert's Markets and Hoyts.

I notice that there is a UK Lolly Shop nearby as well. Not been in there, but looks good.

We drove up to Willetton one Sat evening and drove round to see if we could see any "unsavouries" hanging about or Hoons, but it was dead quiet at 9pm.

TIA Lorraine

• 2 weeks later...
We are moving to a rental in Willetton on Monday and we cannot wait. We have fallen in love with the area.

Does anyone have any recommendations for restaurants, shops etc. We have been to Southlands to look at the Woolies and Gilbert's Markets and Hoyts.

I notice that there is a UK Lolly Shop nearby as well. Not been in there, but looks good.

We drove up to Willetton one Sat evening and drove round to see if we could see any "unsavouries" hanging about or Hoons, but it was dead quiet at 9pm.

TIA Lorraine

Welcome to Willetton

Recommend Jolly Good Indian restaurant. It is just behind Morgan's Real Estate (who I also have used, not up themselves like most others) opposite the Willetton Primary. Great food and BYO, book early if you want to go on a weekend though. The best local pizza is at the Rossmoyne shops. I hear a South African Spur steak restaurant is coming to Southlands soon!

The Lolly shop has very little stock and seems to be running down, but there is a good one up at Kalamunda, if you are out that way, that supply most of the UK shops here and have some good specials. Hadley's Butchers at the Burrendah shops are good but pricey and the little bakers next to IGA High Road is better for pies.

Most Willetton shops here are just the usual chains. I use the Indian and Chinese grocers on High Road for more varied shopping.

welcome to Perth Lorraine , your only 5 mins from us so be careful .....we use Willetton often the leisure(Riverton) centre, bunnings ,first choice bottle shop is the cheapest ,the library ,fantastic chippy well hidden on a cut through to Leach hwy on Riley rd, is Riverton tbh, jungle gyms on Gimpie way , great for the little ones , we used it for a few yrs .Trinco Star Sri Lankan restaurant is lovely another hidden gem ..............and if you like your Indian then Kadia King but that's in Thornlie ,Spencer Village next to KFC , I`m on my way their in 10 mins ................good to hear you got here safely ...........Nick

Is it clean Nick?

Went to the one in Garden City once....never went back...it was disgusting, looked like it hadn't had a good clean for years.

Then tried the one at Carousel, which was better...but the next day it was in the news that it had to close while they got rid of all the mice that were in there...

Urgh

Edited by fifi69

Hi, Welcome to Willetton. I've been here just over 18 months now, and love it here.

We mostly use Southlands as it 5 mins from our house, but we do sometimes go to Riverton Forum if I need to go to BigW. If we want a proper shopping trip we tend to go to Garden City in Booragoon, or Carousel in Cannington.

We don't really eat out a lot but when we do we usually go to Kadai king Indian in Thornie (Thanks for the recommendation Tony :wubclub:) and if we fancy Chinese/ Singaporean we use Taurus hawker on Collins road (best mi gorang ever).

If you haven't already sorted doctors and dentists then I can highly recommend Southlands dental practice, they are fantastic. And for GP we go to Willetton Medical centre, and the kids go to AM/PM doctors near Rostrata Primary as they bulk bill for kids under 18 and the doctors are great with kids.

If there is anything else I can help with give us a shout, I'd be happy to help.

Wendy.

Is it clean Nick?

Went to the one in Garden City once....never went back...it was disgusting, looked like it hadn't had a good clean for years.

Then tried the one at Carousel, which was better...but the next day it was in the news that it had to close while they got rid of all the mice that were in there...

Urgh

Southlands is clean Fifi , I don't do filth ........and we always book through RAC tickets are so much cheaper ,you do it on line and print off tickets ......has anyone seen Diana yet , I will wait for the rush to settle and go when its quiet .......

Hi, Welcome to Willetton. I've been here just over 18 months now, and love it here.

We mostly use Southlands as it 5 mins from our house, but we do sometimes go to Riverton Forum if I need to go to BigW. If we want a proper shopping trip we tend to go to Garden City in Booragoon, or Carousel in Cannington.

We don't really eat out a lot but when we do we usually go to Kadai king Indian in Thornie (Thanks for the recommendation Tony :wubclub:) and if we fancy Chinese/ Singaporean we use Taurus hawker on Collins road (best mi gorang ever).

If you haven't already sorted doctors and dentists then I can highly recommend Southlands dental practice, they are fantastic. And for GP we go to Willetton Medical centre, and the kids go to AM/PM doctors near Rostrata Primary as they bulk bill for kids under 18 and the doctors are great with kids.

If there is anything else I can help with give us a shout, I'd be happy to help.

Wendy.

your welcome Wendy , ive just got back from Kadia and fed the children ,will have ours later ...........the chinese on Collins rd , do you highly recommend it , do they do a good combination curry , we use to use the one in Canning Vale /Livingston on Waratah BVD but they sent us some un cooked chicken last time , has put mrs tonyman off for good and they replaced the meal but did not contact us to say sorry , that would have been my first port of call ..........

Hey Nick,

Yes, can highly recommend Taurus for Singapore food, I'm really funny with my food and I haven't been able to find a fault (yet). They have quite a large menu and I *think* I saw combination curries and other dishes, I'm not 100% though as I only have chicken/pork dishes so usually know what I want without looking at the menu.

There also a few other places on Collins road. It is all Asian food places and they have just opened a Yum-Cha on the corner which is always busy, haven't tried it, so can't comment. There is also a decent Chinese on Rostrata Avenue near the IGA and Dominos. Really nice tasty food, and we haven't had a bad one yet.

Hope you and Mrs t-man are good and enjoy your curry :-)

Wendy,

Hey Nick,

Yes, can highly recommend Taurus for Singapore food, I'm really funny with my food and I haven't been able to find a fault (yet). They have quite a large menu and I *think* I saw combination curries and other dishes, I'm not 100% though as I only have chicken/pork dishes so usually know what I want without looking at the menu.

There also a few other places on Collins road. It is all Asian food places and they have just opened a Yum-Cha on the corner which is always busy, haven't tried it, so can't comment. There is also a decent Chinese on Rostrata Avenue near the IGA and Dominos. Really nice tasty food, and we haven't had a bad one yet.

Hope you and Mrs t-man are good and enjoy your curry :-)

Wendy,

that's good to know Wendy as im on the lookout for a new Chinese .......was going to try Sun Hing in Armadale tmoz but mrs tonyman is out so I will be on steak chips toms mushroom sweetcorn and pepper sauce ...just love it ........

Many Thanks for all the recommendations and tips, really appreciate it.

We are loving it here. Spoken to the neighbours who seem friendly and invited us in for a beer. I

Yesterday went to Riverton Stockland to buy a lawn mower as they had petrol ones on special in Big W - bargain!

I think I have been to all the shopping centres nearby now. I cannot believe that we are no more than 10 mins to any centre or Spud Shed.

Last night we drove into the CBD (mistake!) and went to an old haunt in Northbridge (wanted to reminisce to our backpacking days). This coming week, I am going to do the journey to the CBD during the rush hour to "test the waters".

Any recommendations for a vet for the Hooligans? I notice that there is one on the High Road. What are they like? Any good? I don't mind travelling for a good one.

Many Thanks for all the recommendations and tips, really appreciate it.

We are loving it here. Spoken to the neighbours who seem friendly and invited us in for a beer. I

Yesterday went to Riverton Stockland to buy a lawn mower as they had petrol ones on special in Big W - bargain!

I think I have been to all the shopping centres nearby now. I cannot believe that we are no more than 10 mins to any centre or Spud Shed.

Last night we drove into the CBD (mistake!) and went to an old haunt in Northbridge (wanted to reminisce to our backpacking days). This coming week, I am going to do the journey to the CBD during the rush hour to "test the waters".

Any recommendations for a vet for the Hooligans? I notice that there is one on the High Road. What are they like? Any good? I don't mind travelling for a good one.

Warton rd vets are very good in Southern River /Canning Vale on the border......good shopping there to Dome , Nandos , Dan Murphy , Dominos Pizza and the Brooklands Tavern does a good menu , pretty cheep if you have young children ...........http://www.truelocal.com.au/business/warton-road-animal-hospital/southern-river

Thanks Nick. I think I know where you mean.

Just had another neighbour come and introduce themselves from across the road. I am loving this area and the people are so nice and friendly. I think we may be a bit of a novelty at the moment. Everyone around us are Aussies and have lived here years, so I suspect we are the first POMs for a little while.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone

I've just been reading with interest all of your posts about Willetton. We move there on Monday and - whilst I'm excited about the move - I am starting to get a little nervous. We've been in WA since August and have been living with a friend in Clarkson so the mover NOR to SOR is a quite a big deal for us. We love the house we're renting and the area seems lovely (we've done various night/day/mid day/weekend/mid week drive bys - just to see if we see anything we don't like and nothing, it just seems like a really nice area. All the posts on this thread have just further reinforced my own thoughts and have helped to settle my nerves!

Thanks also for all the tips for restaurants and takeaways - I'll be jotting those down and checking them out later.

Thanks everyone, : )