Lease break problems

Eng32

So after being here for over a year we decide to buy a property, offer accepted today so trip to the real estates to do notice and break the lease. Our lease so we though was to end 31st January 2014, we always sign for six month, however, apparently the owner in strutted the agent to go for a year tie in this time, agents never informed us of this instruction, we have mistaking lay signed until 31-7-2014... Leaving us with a huge lease break and rentals not getting let here atm. As we were expecting the lease to end on the 31-01 we have glanced/ scanned the forms and took the 7 for a one which it does look like on the forms.

now the agents arnt having a bar of it and said we have signed it and should have checked properly!! We may now have to pull out of our house buy and I'm absolutely devastated as I hate renting.

i can't see how they can get away with not passing infomation onto us and extending a year without consultation, just sent new forms with this long lease.

any help here would be good, Rta said we signed the lease so are responsible but we were not fully informed other than a date on the form. :arghh:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Pom Queen

Look firstly please don't worry. People break leases all the time. If you are in an area where rentals go fast then worst case scenario is they may charge you for re advertising in Vic usually no more than $100 then you will be liable until they find a new tenant should be no more than a month. Make sure you get proof of when they start advertising for new tenants as if they drag their feet you can go back to the RTA

So after being here for over a year we decide to buy a property, offer accepted today so trip to the real estates to do notice and break the lease. Our lease so we though was to end 31st January 2014, we always sign for six month, however, apparently the owner in strutted the agent to go for a year tie in this time, agents never informed us of this instruction, we have mistaking lay signed until 31-7-2014... Leaving us with a huge lease break and rentals not getting let here atm. As we were expecting the lease to end on the 31-01 we have glanced/ scanned the forms and took the 7 for a one which it does look like on the forms.

now the agents arnt having a bar of it and said we have signed it and should have checked properly!! We may now have to pull out of our house buy and I'm absolutely devastated as I hate renting.

i can't see how they can get away with not passing infomation onto us and extending a year without consultation, just sent new forms with this long lease.

any help here would be good, Rta said we signed the lease so are responsible but we were not fully informed other than a date on the form. :arghh:

As a renter it is your responsibility to look at the dates on the lease, not the owners.

We did look, it was an honest misread, we never do 1 year. I can't believe the rental company had correspondents about the fact that they wanted the lease extending to a year, and not one person passed this infomation onto us that this has happened and would you like to extent to a year lease rather that 6. Can't see how that right they can do that. We are spending 6650.00 a week on rent and now local rents have dropped to 5 to 5.50, so not only do we miss out on our house sale, live in a house we no longer like and to boot pay over hundred dollars over what everyone else is paying rent for until July next year!!!! It's a joke. I'm devastated to be honest and very upset about the whole situation.

Guest The Pom Queen
We did look, it was an honest misread, we never do 1 year. I can't believe the rental company had correspondents about the fact that they wanted the lease extending to a year, and not one person passed this infomation onto us that this has happened and would you like to extent to a year lease rather that 6. Can't see how that right they can do that. We are spending 6650.00 a week on rent and now local rents have dropped to 5 to 5.50, so not only do we miss out on our house sale, live in a house we no longer like and to boot pay over hundred dollars over what everyone else is paying rent for until July next year!!!! It's a joke. I'm devastated to be honest and very upset about the whole situation.

At the end of the day the only legal document you have is what you have signed. Why are you paying $6650 per week! I presume you mean $650, you also agreed to this so again this is down to you. I've told you what you can do so you don't lose out on the house sale so seriously there is no drama.

There is a glut in rentals atm, hard to find tenants, especially at the price were paying, so they'll have to drop the price to rent it out(well be liable foe the difference, or they'll keep the price high..no one rents it so we have to pay a mortgage and rent, can't afford to do this..buggered either way.

Guest The Pom Queen
There is a glut in rentals atm, hard to find tenants, especially at the price were paying, so they'll have to drop the price to rent it out(well be liable foe the difference, or they'll keep the price high..no one rents it so we have to pay a mortgage and rent, can't afford to do this..buggered either way.

To be honest I think you have admitted defeat and won't look at alternatives. I know plenty of people in the UK would jump to have a rental secured for when they arrived and $650 a week is still cheap compared to short term rentals they usually have to book whilst they are looking. At the end of the day Hun only you can chose the way forward but if it was a house I really liked then I would be breaking the lease no matter what. In fact we did just that in Melbourne and we didn't have to pay a penny.

Guest The Pom Queen

If you think the rent is excessive you can take this to the RTA but as you are nearly in to the agreement by 6 months you may not get anywhere

Guest guest30085

Can you start to advertise it yourself also? I'm sure I've seen plenty of break lease properties being advertised. Would this be ok Pom Queen to advertise on here also?

Guest The Pom Queen
Thanks, I'm just very upset and it's getting to me. I can't help being upset. Times like these you need you family and close friends but there not here..... Thanks for all your help

Look tonight just forget about it and get some sleep things will seem better in the morning. Another alternative is to ask for a longer settlement ie 3-6 months and during this time search for your own tenant to take over the lease, advertise it on here, life in Queensland, gumtree etc

Guest The Pom Queen
Can you start to advertise it yourself also? I'm sure I've seen plenty of break lease properties being advertised. Would this be ok Pom Queen to advertise on here also?

Lol our posts crossed, yes no problem at all.

Guest The Pom Queen
Thanks, I didn't know this, were only 3 months in to the stupid year lease.

Well give it a shot. I will track down the link and send

Thanks, i some people might think I'm getting upset for no reason maybe, but this has totally knocked me sideways, I guess some situations are blown up more due to the distance and feeling alone. I really do appreciate all the help and support. Thank you

So I can only ask for a decrease due to reasons other than rent in the area has decreased and is now over priced.

Rent decreases

Rent may be decreased because:

there is a drop in the standard of the property, room or service

there is a decrease in services provided, e.g. a stove is not working

In rooming accommodation:

the resident is not receiving a personal care service because they are away

the resident is not receiving a food service because they have been away for more than two weeks

Guest guest30085
We live on the outskirts of Gladstone, no pommies move here lol, Oh there is one :wideeyed:

Oooh we're looking for somewhere to live there...where abouts r u?

Don't give up before you've started Hun, see people do want to move there :wink::hug:

Thanks, i some people might think I'm getting upset for no reason maybe, but this has totally knocked me sideways, I guess some situations are blown up more due to the distance and feeling alone. I really do appreciate all the help and support. Thank you

No, not upset for no reason. I think we would all be upset. The difference is, I would be upset with myself for not having read the contract, not someone else.

I totally get why you are stressing, I would be too.

Kate is right though, get a good nights sleep and it will feel at least a bit better in the morning.