Has anyone got the Citizenship approved without completing State Sponsorship Commitment ?

jmartin8010

• 5 months later...
Hello Everyone,

By this post I would like to put an end to all the rumors about rejection of citizenship or putting it on hold when you don't complete the 2 years living condition in sponsoring state.

My citizenship application was approved 2 weeks after I lodged my application online and now i'm waiting for my ceremony. My PR was granted based on state sponsorship (VB 886) and I did not move to that state because I could not find a proper job there.

Although this might change in future and living in the sponsoring state may become compulsory, but at the moment it is a moral obligation and as far as there is no condition on your PR nothing will happen to your citizenship application.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to break any rules/laws by this post. However job security and family well being becomes first in that matter. If you can find a job or already have a job and there is no solid reason not to meet the obligation please go ahead and live in the state that gave you the opportunity to come to Australia. Otherwise don't panic and try to contribute to the Australian society by working and paying taxes in another place and be a good human being.

Have a nice day everyone. :)

Hi @jmartin8010, thanks for sharing your experience. Although I was hoping to see similar testimonies from SN 190 visa holders, as a lot of people asking this question are those granted with 190 and either have not set foot in AU or they are already in the state that sponsored them but having difficulty landing a job.

I couldn't help but ask you this.. you said you we're in 886 state sponsored visa? do you mind sharing which state have sponsored you? and which state were you at when you applied for 886 visa? As you mentioned in your initial post that you haven't even seen the airport of the state that sponsored you (?). Because as I understand 886 visa is a PR visa pathway for those with student/temporary visa. So if, for example, you are in Sydney with student visa, I would assume you will be applying for 886 visa with NSW as the sponsoring state and NOT any other state. I'm a bit skeptical about someone currently in one AU state and applying for state-sponsorship from another state. I have read some people who did such and ended up having their state sponsorship applications rejected, as the state requires you to be in their state at the time of application. Hoping to hear from you.

Hi @jmartin8010, thanks for sharing your experience. Although I was hoping to see similar testimonies from SN 190 visa holders, as a lot of people asking this question are those granted with 190 and either have not set foot in AU or they are already in the state that sponsored them but having difficulty landing a job.

I couldn't help but ask you this.. you said you we're in 886 state sponsored visa? do you mind sharing which state have sponsored you? and which state were you at when you applied for 886 visa? As you mentioned in your initial post that you haven't even seen the airport of the state that sponsored you (?). Because as I understand 886 visa is a PR visa pathway for those with student/temporary visa. So if, for example, you are in Sydney with student visa, I would assume you will be applying for 886 visa with NSW as the sponsoring state and NOT any other state. I'm a bit skeptical about someone currently in one AU state and applying for state-sponsorship from another state. I have read some people who did such and ended up having their state sponsorship applications rejected, as the state requires you to be in their state at the time of application. Hoping to hear from you.

This thread is about applying for citizenship. Nobody can apply for citizenship if they haven't been in the country. It sounds like you are confusing the requirements for state sponsorship for pr and citizenship.

This thread is about applying for citizenship. Nobody can apply for citizenship if they haven't been in the country. It sounds like you are confusing the requirements for state sponsorship for pr and citizenship.

Please re-read carefully before making such comment. The OP intend to ask (and inform) anyone who were in PR-state-sponsored visa and were able to get citizenship WITHOUT COMPLETING THE 2 YEARS COMMITMENT with the state.

I know and have read the requirement for Citizenship application and I DID NOT SAY applying for Citizenship while not in AU.. let me reiterate and rephrase a bit for your understanding.. I said "this question is being asked by those who were recently granted PR and have not set foot in AU yet.." which means state-sponsored-PR who chose or plans to stay in another state and they want to know the implications of not completing the state commitment when they apply for citizenship in the future. Ok?

Edited by manofsteel

furthermore, I find it hard to believe what the OP said that he was in state-sponsored visa and was granted citizenship without fulfilling his 2 years commitment with the state.

Hence I am trying to clarify, prior to his citizenship application, how possible it is that he was granted PR-state-sponsored visa and yet he hasn't even stayed in the state that sponsored him. So I'm assuming he was able to somehow fulfill the stay-in-that-state OR he does not have any commitment at all! Thus this is not a valid case for successful citizenship without completing the state-sponsorship commitment (which is the subject of this thread by the way @blossom79)

I also can't really understand what are you asking about...

But if you wish that more people that got citizenship w/o living in the sponsoring state would share their experience here, you have to consider that most people won't be checking the forum after they got their visas/move. Also - there is no single case when someone was refused citizenship based on that.

P.S. I have a 190 visa for Vic and I live in Sydney (never been to Victoria yet).

I also can't really understand what are you asking about...

But if you wish that more people that got citizenship w/o living in the sponsoring state would share their experience here, you have to consider that most people won't be checking the forum after they got their visas/move. Also - there is no single case when someone was refused citizenship based on that.

P.S. I have a 190 visa for Vic and I live in Sydney (never been to Victoria yet).

I know. The OP's intention on posting this thread is to answer those who want to know if there is, indeed, any implications in citizenship application if you fail to fulfill the 2 years commitment with the state.

Have you applied for citizenship or renewed your RRV? If yes, then let us know once you are approved, then that's the answer to most 190 visa holder asking the same question regarding state commitment.

Also, did you sign any state commitment agreement with Victoria during your visa application? If so, do you intend to, at least, fulfill that? Did you ask Vic State's permission that you can be released from that commitment (if you did signed any).

Because we wouldn't know the implications (e.g. citizenship, rrv renewal, et al.) of not fulfilling that commitment unless someone here confirms that it's fine :)

Also, did you sign any state commitment agreement with Victoria during your visa application? If so, do you intend to, at least, fulfill that? Did you ask Vic State's permission that you can be released from that commitment (if you did signed any).

Because we wouldn't know the implications (e.g. citizenship, rrv renewal, et al.) of not fulfilling that commitment unless someone here confirms that it's fine :)

As far as I remember someone did confirm that in that thread.

I signed the agreement that I am committed to living in Victoria if I receive the state nomination and at the time I intended to fulfill it. I haven't asked for "release" as it is not a real obligation, but I have informed them that I am not living in Victoria via the every-6months-survey.

I have just moved 6 months ago and as I pointed out - in 3.5 years most probably I won't be checking this forum:)

We know the "implication", because nowhere in the requirements for citizenship/rrv it states that 190 visa holders have to fulfill the 2year commitment to qualify.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
We know the "implication", because nowhere in the requirements for citizenship/rrv it states that 190 visa holders have to fulfill the 2year commitment to qualify.

Hi Joanna ach,

i am in the same situation as yours. I have vic ss and currently need to be in sydney for difficult personal circumstances before 2 years commitment.

I am very tensed if that will jeopardize my rrv/citizenship in future.

did you try to speak to any mara agents or authorities? i read somewhere that some people had issues with citizenship later.....:( very worried on that

Dont worry ,

I did not satisfy the 2 year residence requirement (SA sponsorand my citizenship application was approved and now waiting for the ceremony.

No one asked anything about this any way.

Because 2 year residence req is a moral obligation and not a legal obligation. You are a PR holder not a TR so no state can enforce you to stay on a specific place. I know So many people have not even been to the state thay they were sponsored and still granted citizenship without any hassle.

As I said this is a moral obligation , once you get the PR , you are FREE.

That's why Nortern territory and TASmania asking strong local references , job offer from Sponsorship applicants.

So dont worry, I did not even report any of my adresses to state and they did not ask. They simply dont care , and so dont even ask for a permission to move out before fulfilling the 2 year req. They send you an automated angry but desperate mail . Thats all....

It doesn't make any difference. Its a moral obligation, not a legal one.

Its a huge loophole and one day hopefully the government will close it, but at present you can get a 190 and progress to citizenship without ever even setting foot in the sponsoring state, never mind living there.

Dont worry ,

I did not satisfy the 2 year residence requirement (SA sponsorand my citizenship application was approved and now waiting for the ceremony.

No one asked anything about this any way.

Because 2 year residence req is a moral obligation and not a legal obligation. You are a PR holder not a TR so no state can enforce you to stay on a specific place. I know So many people have not even been to the state thay they were sponsored and still granted citizenship without any hassle.

As I said this is a moral obligation , once you get the PR , you are FREE.

That's why Nortern territory and TASmania asking strong local references , job offer from Sponsorship applicants.

So dont worry, I did not even report any of my adresses to state and they did not ask. They simply dont care , and so dont even ask for a permission to move out before fulfilling the 2 year req. They send you an automated angry but desperate mail . Thats all....

thanks alot Glenelg, your msg is much of a relief, i also called up vic state they mentioned its a breach of condition but there is nothing they can do once PR is granted.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Thanks for you update i am also sailing on same boat but would like to know are you on VISA 190.

(my friend i have very small suggestion not to use surname and name on social sites as people are there who track and put complaints... i don't know what interest they have doing this but you know there are all sorts of people)

as far as my condition persists i came couple of month back and landed in different state without even knowing whether been allowed to cross migration or not but has confidence because of came without resignation and credit card of good value :-) as it was planned just in 6 hours of planning to move after receiving call from employer for final interview....... and by god grace selected and staying but now after consulting different people its truly very strange condition where in i am unable to take call whether to call family or not and uncertainty of future.... i used to be bold person i can say that now i am very fearful..... can't take decision whether to return or not as now i know it would be very difficult to find job in India as well ..

Here as well i putting my words don't know what i am asking but truly it was good decision to come but with uncertainty of future.

• 1 year later...
On 13/08/2014 at 16:36, JoannaAch said:

Hi Joanna, been following your post about the 190 visa obligations. Guess you would have applied for the citizenship now. Did u face any issues or challenges getting the citizenship?

I have the same issue, moved out of Vic after 8 months since i could not find proper employment there and work in Sydney and doing a project for the Govt here. 

I will be applying for my citizenship in few months from now.

Your inputs will be of great value

Thanks in advance

Ald

10 hours ago, Aldarin23 said:

Hi Joanna, been following your post about the 190 visa obligations. Guess you would have applied for the citizenship now. Did u face any issues or challenges getting the citizenship?

I have the same issue, moved out of Vic after 8 months since i could not find proper employment there and work in Sydney and doing a project for the Govt here. 

I will be applying for my citizenship in few months from now.

Your inputs will be of great value

Thanks in advance

Ald

The 2 year commitment on a 190 is only a moral one, It is not legally binding and has no relevance to citizenship.