Has anyone got the Citizenship approved without completing State Sponsorship Commitment ?

jmartin8010

Hi Folks,

I'm new registered member of this forum so bear with me a little bit please :)

I have been the silent visitor for a long time and also am aware of the countless number of threads discussing the 2 years commitment on state sponsorship and its effect on the citizenship application down the road .

However I could not find anyone who actually got the citizenship approved without completing the commitment. All the discussions are around the topic that it is a moral obligation and not the legal one as well as how ethical or unethical this actions can be.

Therefore I decided to post this thread to see if really there is anyone out there who got the citizenship without even bothering to step a foot on the sponsoring state as well as all the stories post citizenship application lodgement for the people who chose the route of State Sponsorship.

Thank you all in advance for any comments.

Edited by jmartin8010
  • Like 1

Hi Folks,

I'm new registered member of this forum so bear with me a little bit please :)

I have been the silent visitor for a long time and also am aware of the countless number of threads discussing the 2 years commitment on state sponsorship and its effect on the citizenship application down the road .

However I could not find anyone who actually got the citizenship approved without completing the commitment. All the discussions are around the topic that it is a moral obligation and not the legal one as well as how ethical or unethical this actions can be.

Therefore I decided to post this thread to see if really there is anyone out there who got the citizenship without even bothering to step a foot on the sponsoring state as well as all the stories post citizenship application lodgement for the people who chose the route of State Sponsorship.

Thank you all in advance for any comments.

Would be interesting to see how many people come forward! I read on another forum that someone's citizenship application was put on hold since the "moral obligation" was not met, and apparently that person was asked to live in the sponsoring state for 2 years after which the application would be resumed. The visa itself remained unaffected.

Personally, I wouldn't believe that story until it came straight from the Horse's mouth.

Having said that, it may be perfectly acceptable for DIBP to ask for proof of having lived in the sponsoring state for the first two years.

Although I cannot answer your question it would only be normal behaviour of any government agency to put the citizenship application on hold.

In my opinion DIAC will question and further investigate why somebody never set a foot into the sponsored state will in any case cause at least delays or any forms of discipline action. However, DIAC wants to know if you have permission for leaving from the sponsored state or not. If you have permission everything will be all right. If not then they will at least investigate...

We always stick to the rules, give it a go for 2 years and won't have any problems afterwards when it comes to citizenship. It's a contract, no matter if it's 'only' a moral obligation or not.

People who don't adhere to rules will get into trouble sooner or later, so it's very short sighted for migrants who wish to become citizens not to stick to Australian migration rules.

I would recommend that migrants take SS very seriously. We're all adults and as adults people who are not willing to settle in the sponsored state can gain permission to leave from the State Government. It not only makes sense, but all hassles and delays can be easily avoided.

It's a very interesting question, but I think the ones that didn't have problems with getting citizenship, won't be positing here (as they don't need any help or advice). On the other hand, there hasn't been anyone on this forum who reported to have such a problem, which might mean that nobody did:)

As for investigating if someone lived in the sponsoring state and delaying applications - I don't think that is possible. The rules for applying for citizenship are very clear and nowhere it states that the commitment has anything to do with it. Also, citizenship is granted by the DIAC and I doubt that states governments have anything to say about it.

Hello Folks,

Thank you so much for your comments so far . Here is some real information that I got from the Citizenship Department :

I gave them a call yesterday and explained the situation (I was totally honest about everything , even I told her that I did not even visit the sponsoring state yet), Then the lady on the phone told me that she can not tell if I'm eligible to become a citizen or not without checking my information on their system. Therefore I gave her my Passport number , Name , address and DOB . Then it took her around 3 to 4 minutes to get back to me with below response ( I am trying to be as precise as possible with the words that came out of the citizenship help line ) :

Sir , you will be eligible on ... (My intended lodgement date) based on the information that we have . There is no condition on your permanent residency visa and as a result as soon as you satisfy the residency requirements there will be no problem and then she started giving me some basic information like the price for the application and how long it will take etc...

Again I asked her a very specific question, my question started like this : Thank you for all the information , but let me ask this question so I make sure I understand everything , as I said I have not yet met my state sponsorship requirement which is living in that state for at least 2 years YET , because of my work situation and to be honest I'm not sure if I can meet the requirements at least for another 3 years or so. The reason is when I got the sponsorship 4 years ago I was young and did not have a family and work but when I got the visa based on the sponsorship 4 years later, everything was changed. THIS WILL NOT AFFECT MY CITIZENSHIP APPLICATION ???????

Her response : Sir, Department of citizenship has nothing to do with the state migration offices. No your permanent resident visa (Subclass 886) has no condition based on my records and you will be eligible to apply on ... date.

Last but not least , wait and monitor this thread for the next 3 to 4 months and hopefully I will become the first real example of a person who got the citizenship approved without even knowing how the sponsored state's airport is look like :)

Hello Folks,

Thank you so much for your comments so far . Here is some real information that I got from the Citizenship Department :

I gave them a call yesterday and explained the situation (I was totally honest about everything , even I told her that I did not even visit the sponsoring state yet), Then the lady on the phone told me that she can not tell if I'm eligible to become a citizen or not without checking my information on their system. Therefore I gave her my Passport number , Name , address and DOB . Then it took her around 3 to 4 minutes to get back to me with below response ( I am trying to be as precise as possible with the words that came out of the citizenship help line ) :

Sir , you will be eligible on ... (My intended lodgement date) based on the information that we have . There is no condition on your permanent residency visa and as a result as soon as you satisfy the residency requirements there will be no problem and then she started giving me some basic information like the price for the application and how long it will take etc...

Again I asked her a very specific question, my question started like this : Thank you for all the information , but let me ask this question so I make sure I understand everything , as I said I have not yet met my state sponsorship requirement which is living in that state for at least 2 years YET , because of my work situation and to be honest I'm not sure if I can meet the requirements at least for another 3 years or so. The reason is when I got the sponsorship 4 years ago I was young and did not have a family and work but when I got the visa based on the sponsorship 4 years later, everything was changed. THIS WILL NOT AFFECT MY CITIZENSHIP APPLICATION ???????

Her response : Sir, Department of citizenship has nothing to do with the state migration offices. No your permanent resident visa (Subclass 886) has no condition based on my records and you will be eligible to apply on ... date.

Last but not least , wait and monitor this thread for the next 3 to 4 months and hopefully I will become the first real example of a person who got the citizenship approved without even knowing how the sponsored state's airport is look like :)

I am in Australia under a state sponsored visa and have compleated my moral two year obligation. I do feel quite strongly about this and feel that people should be made to apply for another visa if they cannot meet the moral obligations of spending two years in there sponsoring state. I do hope the governments address this issue. I understand people move states for various reasons such as lack of work, which is an extenuating circumstance but you mention you have never evern been to the sponsoring states airport.

I am in Australia under a state sponsored visa and have compleated my moral two year obligation. I do feel quite strongly about this and feel that people should be made to apply for another visa if they cannot meet the moral obligations of spending two years in there sponsoring state. I do hope the governments address this issue. I understand people move states for various reasons such as lack of work, which is an extenuating circumstance but you mention you have never evern been to the sponsoring states airport.

Hi ajs604 ,

I'm totally agree with you on people should really be committed to what they agreed on. I don't want to justify my actions or anything like that here.

Firstly by saying "Not have been in the state's airport" does not mean that I did not try to get a job in that state. secondly , as I mentioned in my previous post, people's situation changes over time. At the time I got the sponsorship (4 years ago) I had every intention to move into that state. However right now I can not really quiet the job I worked hard for , in order to get into the position i'm in now and move somewhere that they don't even have my occupation on their demand list anymore and start look for the job that does not exist (most likely) .

Anyways the moral aspects have been discussed many times on different threads and I will not even give my personal opinion about this in this thread anymore so we hopefully can stick to main point of this thread Which is "putting an end to all the rumours about not being able to become citizen if you don't complete the moral obligation of state sponsorship visas."

Regards,

Edited by jmartin8010

Hi ajs604 ,

I'm totally agree with you on people should really be committed to what they agreed on. I don't want to justify my actions or anything like that here.

Firstly by saying "Not have been in the state's airport" does not mean that I did not try to get a job in that state. secondly , as I mentioned in my previous post, people's situation changes over time. At the time I got the sponsorship (4 years ago) I had every intention to move into that state. However right now I can not really quiet the job I worked hard for , in order to get into the position i'm in now and move somewhere that they don't even have my occupation on their demand list anymore and start look for the job that does not exist (most likely) .

Anyways the moral aspects have been discussed many times on different threads and I will not even give my personal opinion about this in this thread anymore so we hopefully can stick to main point of this thread Which is "putting an end to all the rumours about not being able to become citizen if you don't complete the moral obligation of state sponsorship visas."

Regards,

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. My response was not a personal attack at yourself . I am not aware of your personal problems and this has no business to me. I appreciate that perople move outside states for various reaons such as work or relationships. I am also aware the main point of the thread is to quash rumours about gaining citizenship after not completing the moreal obiligation in the sponsoring state. However, I think the immigration minister needs to review these polices as it seems complety unfair to me that a minority of people are using the state sponsered visa as a quick fix solution to getting into Aus quickly without even intedning on living in that state. I feel that these people (not including yourself) who are found to have no intention of compleating their moral obligation should be hunted down and removed from the country unless of course there are extenuating circumstances.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. My response was not a personal attack at yourself . I am not aware of your personal problems and this has no business to me. I appreciate that perople move outside states for various reaons such as work or relationships. I am also aware the main point of the thread is to quash rumours about gaining citizenship after not completing the moreal obiligation in the sponsoring state. However, I think the immigration minister needs to review these polices as it seems complety unfair to me that a minority of people are using the state sponsered visa as a quick fix solution to getting into Aus quickly without even intedning on living in that state. I feel that these people (not including yourself) who are found to have no intention of compleating their moral obligation should be hunted down and removed from the country unless of course there are extenuating circumstances.

Totally agree with you as I am almost through with completing my moral obligation (1.5 years done, another 6 months to go).

This may not be the right thread to ask this question, but do you have to inform the state after you've completed your two years, or is that not required at all? Also, if you've been overseas for a couple weeks and have traveled to other cities within the country during the two year period, do you have to make up for all those days that you've not resided in the sponsoring state to ensure that you have lived in the state for 730 days?

Cheers

Not sure which state your in. I am in Victoria and I would get surveys sent to me every 6 months for the 2 years (finished moral obligation last August) asking for details of my work and housing ect. After the two year period these surveys stopped so there is no need to inform them that you have compleated the moral obiligation as they will know! No, they are not interested in what other states or cities you have visited as you have resided in your sponsoring state. Although saying that as other foroum users have stated the authorties have no power if you choose to change states. It is merely only a moral obligation which in my opinion serves no purpose as not furfilling it leads to no consequences. My understanding is that when you apply for your citizenhip you will need to have resided in Aus for four years and not been out of the country for more than 90 days in the last 12 months before you apply for citizenship

Edited by ajs604

Not sure which state your in. I am in Victoria and I would get surveys sent to me every 6 months for the 2 years (finished moral obligation last August) asking for details of my work and housing ect. After the two year period these surveys stopped so there is no need to inform them that you have compleated the moral obiligation as they will know! No, they are not interested in what other states or cities you have visited as you have resided in your sponsoring state. Although saying that as other foroum users have stated the authorties have no power if you choose to change states. It is merely only a moral obligation which in my opinion serves no purpose as not furfilling it leads to no consequences. My understanding is that when you apply for your citizenhip you will need to have resided in Aus for four years and not been out of the country for more than 90 days in the last 12 months before you apply for citizenship

Thanks for that! Well I'm in WA and I haven't received a single survey in the last 18 months. When I contacted the State Migration Dept last year, I was told the surveys are being redeveloped and they'll be sent once complete. Haven't heard back from them ever since.

Back in 2010 I was in the line for an unsponsored visa (175), had all of the points/skills etc to apply for one, however the wait was long and the conditions kept changing. I was advised my my agent (well known and respected on here) that if I knew which state I planned to move to, I could make the process quicker by going for SS. This we did and where granted it by Vic, the only state I applied to, some other people where applying to 3 or more states.

Just after this the rules and queue order was changed a number of times, at one stage a lot of people who were weeks away from visa grant suddenly got dropped to the bottom of the queue, the threads on this forum were full very upset people at the time and I don't blame them, some had sold houses etc.

But, I was lucky, this was when the Critical Skills List came out and my occupation was on it, within a couple of weeks I had Vic SS and a visa grant - the CSL was what got me in so quickly rather than the SS, from application to grant of PR took about 8 weeks, however I still intended to move to Vic and started looking for jobs.

Shortly after this a friend who had moved to NSW contacted me about a job in Sydney, quite a good consulting job at an Investment Bank, I applied and got it. This was all done via phone and video conference so I had a job before arriving - quite an appealing prospect.

So, I wrote to Vic and honestly explained the situation, they where great and formally released me, in writing from my commitment.

We'll be eligible for citizenship in just over 6 months and I'd be amazed if this affects it, never really entered my head. I believe in honoring your word and I do feel bad that we didn't move to Vic but sometimes circumstances change and I'm very appreciative of that state's sponsorship dept for their understanding (and sponsorship), who know's we may live there one day. I did the 6 monthly survey from Vic for the first two years.

I also wasn't the only one who did this at the time, the system really did push people to go for sponsorship, not sure if its the same now but for some it was the only option to get a visa, which put them in a difficult moral position I guess.

Back in 2010 I was in the line for an unsponsored visa (175), had all of the points/skills etc to apply for one, however the wait was long and the conditions kept changing. I was advised my my agent (well known and respected on here) that if I knew which state I planned to move to, I could make the process quicker by going for SS. This we did and where granted it by Vic, the only state I applied to, some other people where applying to 3 or more states.

Just after this the rules and queue order was changed a number of times, at one stage a lot of people who were weeks away from visa grant suddenly got dropped to the bottom of the queue, the threads on this forum were full very upset people at the time and I don't blame them, some had sold houses etc.

But, I was lucky, this was when the Critical Skills List came out and my occupation was on it, within a couple of weeks I had Vic SS and a visa grant - the CSL was what got me in so quickly rather than the SS, from application to grant of PR took about 8 weeks, however I still intended to move to Vic and started looking for jobs.

Shortly after this a friend who had moved to NSW contacted me about a job in Sydney, quite a good consulting job at an Investment Bank, I applied and got it. This was all done via phone and video conference so I had a job before arriving - quite an appealing prospect.

So, I wrote to Vic and honestly explained the situation, they where great and formally released me, in writing from my commitment.

We'll be eligible for citizenship in just over 6 months and I'd be amazed if this affects it, never really entered my head. I believe in honoring your word and I do feel bad that we didn't move to Vic but sometimes circumstances change and I'm very appreciative of that state's sponsorship dept for their understanding (and sponsorship), who know's we may live there one day. I did the 6 monthly survey from Vic for the first two years.

I also wasn't the only one who did this at the time, the system really did push people to go for sponsorship, not sure if its the same now but for some it was the only option to get a visa, which put them in a difficult moral position I guess.

Thanks ozziepom,

As a matter of fact, this was exactly what happened to me. SS was my only option and was intended to move to that state. However when I was just weeks away from grant rules changed and I was dropped to category 5 and had to wait for 4 years in order to get the visa. I was onshore and decided not to think about the PR visa until it is granted.

Just wanted to share this with you guys :)

Anyways , Ride Hard ... Life is short ;)

Hi ajs604 ,

Regards,

Thanks for sharing the information you got from the Department. Even though I wasn't expecting there to be any problems, it's good to get an answer from an official source.

I also can't move to my sponsoring state just now (although I still hope to do it at some point as that is where I want to settle permanently). For some jobs, it does not matter if you apply from overseas or if you are local. Even before arriving in Au I can see that it might be hard for me to get a job in my sponsoring state, which is why I emailed the state and they replied straight away that if I can't find employment, I don't have to live there and that I should go where I have been offered a job.

I don't think comments how people should be forced by law to live in the sponsoring state are fair - DIAC has not put a condition on 190 visas for a reason. I am sure there are some pretty smart people that decided that should not be a actual obligation and I don't see a point in questioning it.

as long as the loop hole exists, it will be exploited. wish they would hurry up and close it down.

Before you saying that, do you know how many years we spend time in order to obtain PR? My nominated occupation was removed from the SOL list when I graduated. And that occupation is only on one of the state, which is the reason I need to apply for 190 visa. So I spend 3 years studying my degree in Australia, and then got TR, then my occupation is removed from the SOL list, and I obtained 1 year working experience from 5 different company to pass the skills assessment. Because of my visa, it's hard for me to get a permanent job. Then now finally I can apply for the 190 visa. Before you judge someone, you should know how much we suffer and how much effort we put in for the PR.

• 1 month later...
Thanks for that! Well I'm in WA and I haven't received a single survey in the last 18 months. When I contacted the State Migration Dept last year, I was told the surveys are being redeveloped and they'll be sent once complete. Haven't heard back from them ever since.

I'm in NSW. I sent an email to the NSW state government when I got my 190 visa grant. But didn't receive any response from them. Anyone in NSW have received survey or email from the NSW government?

• 2 weeks later...

This is a very interesting post as I'm going through a similar situation myself. I came in on a 457 visa and had an awful time with my first employer but managed to find another post in regional Victoria and transferred the visa. I managed to get PR with this employer last January and am eligible to apply for citizenship in early January. I should stay on for another year under my RSMS but for various personal and professional reasons feel unable to continue here and have just got a job in the state capital and resigned my post. I am thrilled as it's a fantastic organisation, my partner has more chance of finding, decent, regular work without a massive commute and we can see more of family and friends and have more of a social life. We've been very isolated and this has made life very difficult and hard to settle in and establish a life outside work.However, I've also been concerned about the citizenship and not fulfilling my obligations. Morally, I feel bad about this; a feeling slightly assuaged by the fact that I'm not actually being paid at the correct rate for the visa and the professional concerns I have at work have not been addressed. Obligations work both ways I think. It's hard to know whether to ring DIABP and be honest and put myself in a nightmare situation after all we've been through. I have been in the post for three years and I can't continue I was so demoralised and getting the new job has meant so much. My employers have reluctantly let me go, I had raised concerns with them before but the main problem has been the lack of work opportunities for my partner. Anyway, good luck to all. Anyone got any tips for lodging citizenship apps on line? xx

Personally I would contact them and be honest as you have broken your visa conditions (it isn't just a moral obligation on an rsms). Better to come from you (your employer does have to inform immigration if you cease work in the first two years too), so you can explain that you weren't being paid at the rate they agreed with immigration to pay you. You are in a better position than most. Is your state capital still counted as regional Australia? If not you might want to get the advice of a good MARA agent as your visa can be cancelled if you leave within the first two years. If you are still in the same position and still somewhere regional I have never seen it being a problem. Generally that seems to be all immigration are concerned with.

• 1 month later...

Hello Everyone,

By this post I would like to put an end to all the rumors about rejection of citizenship or putting it on hold when you don't complete the 2 years living condition in sponsoring state.

My citizenship application was approved 2 weeks after I lodged my application online and now i'm waiting for my ceremony. My PR was granted based on state sponsorship (VB 886) and I did not move to that state because I could not find a proper job there.

Although this might change in future and living in the sponsoring state may become compulsory, but at the moment it is a moral obligation and as far as there is no condition on your PR nothing will happen to your citizenship application.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to break any rules/laws by this post. However job security and family well being becomes first in that matter. If you can find a job or already have a job and there is no solid reason not to meet the obligation please go ahead and live in the state that gave you the opportunity to come to Australia. Otherwise don't panic and try to contribute to the Australian society by working and paying taxes in another place and be a good human being.

Have a nice day everyone. :)

Edited by jmartin8010
  • Like 1

Hello Everyone,

By this post I would like to put an end to all the rumors about rejection of citizenship or putting it on hold when you don't complete the 2 years living condition in sponsoring state.

My citizenship application was approved 2 weeks after I lodged my application online and now i'm waiting for my ceremony. My PR was granted based on state sponsorship (VB 886) and I did not move to that state because I could not find a proper job there.

Although this might change in future and living in the sponsoring state may become compulsory, but at the moment it is a moral obligation and as far as there is no condition on your PR nothing will happen to your citizenship application.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to break any rules/laws by this post. However job security and family well being becomes first in that matter. If you can find a job or already have a job and there is no solid reason not to meet the obligation please go ahead and live in the state that gave you the opportunity to come to Australia. Otherwise don't panic and try to contribute to the Australian society by working and paying taxes in another place and be a good human being.

Have a nice day everyone. :)

Glad to hear that, n much relieved :)

Sorry but could I ask a question. I read your comment on another thread that "I was sponsored by a State and got my PR 4 years later but never step a foot there due changed personal circumstances over the period of waiting game"

So for being absolutely fearless me n many others, you where on 886 PR or any other till your citizenship got approved?

Thanks again for your post.

Glad to hear that, n much relieved :)

Sorry but could I ask a question. I read your comment on another thread that "I was sponsored by a State and got my PR 4 years later but never step a foot there due changed personal circumstances over the period of waiting game"

So for being absolutely fearless me n many others, you where on 886 PR or any other till your citizenship got approved?

Thanks again for your post.

Hi Saintkamy,

Be absolutely fearless as I was on PR VB 886 State Sponsorship till my citizenship was approved. Basically I only had 2 visas since I arrived here : First Student Visa and then VB 886.