Flights: one way or return???

Charlie2312

Hi Charlie, I always come here on a return flight. I need to go home regularly and the cost difference between a single and return flight, plus the fact that its more expensive to book from Australia, makes it worth it. I fly from Newcastle with Emirates otherwise I'd have to travel to use another airline. Always been happy with Emirates so no problem.

Guest The Pom Queen

I agree with Lindor. Flights from Aus are ridiculous, cheapest Ive ever seen one way is $1200, usually around $2800 ish depending where you are travelling from. There are specials but to be honest its still cheaper from the UK, maybe choose a flight where you can alter the dates. I know my mum came over a few years ago. She was due home when I was admitted to hospital she called to change her flights and it cost her $100 which I thought was great

Actually, I would disagree.

I am coming out on a single in a few weeks, as after much research and asking around I feel it is the right thing for my cirumstances...

- Return flights can be a ball-ache to change the date on, some airlines dont allow it, others only if someone has died, all of them charge a fee

- If you are coming here indefinitly or plan to travel afterwards, then the hassle of having that return flight hanging over your head and needing altering is just that, HASSLE.

- I have no real intention of using it, and so the fees for re-arranging easily outweigh the bonus of having if for £100 extra

- I have found a farily cheap single with STA as they do an under 26 rate

- I plan to go to New Zealand afterward, which seems to cost about £300... not masses

- Yes it can be useful at the border to prove you wont be a drain on society, BUT I dont know anyone (and I have a lot of mates on WHV) that has been asked to show bank statements or return/onwards tickets at immigration (though I do accept it happens, just seemingly not all that often)

- The idea of having to commit to certain dates and define my travels now goes against everything I love about travelling... I did not want to box it up like that, rather just be free to see what happens and see where the wind takes me

However, if you are on a gap year or a career break or only have a set amount of time then absolutley book a return.

I merely wanted to offer an alternative view from someone who plans to travel indefinitly.... DONT LET THE DATES DEFINE YOUR ADVENTURE!

Actually, I would disagree.

I am coming out on a single in a few weeks, as after much research and asking around I feel it is the right thing for my cirumstances...

- Return flights can be a ball-ache to change the date on, some airlines dont allow it, others only if someone has died, all of them charge a fee

- If you are coming here indefinitly or plan to travel afterwards, then the hassle of having that return flight hanging over your head and needing altering is just that, HASSLE.

- I have no real intention of using it, and so the fees for re-arranging easily outweigh the bonus of having if for £100 extra

- I have found a farily cheap single with STA as they do an under 26 rate

- I plan to go to New Zealand afterward, which seems to cost about £300... not masses

- Yes it can be useful at the border to prove you wont be a drain on society, BUT I dont know anyone (and I have a lot of mates on WHV) that has been asked to show bank statements or return/onwards tickets at immigration (though I do accept it happens, just seemingly not all that often)

- The idea of having to commit to certain dates and define my travels now goes against everything I love about travelling... I did not want to box it up like that, rather just be free to see what happens and see where the wind takes me

However, if you are on a gap year or a career break or only have a set amount of time then absolutley book a return.

I merely wanted to offer an alternative view from someone who plans to travel indefinitly.... DONT LET THE DATES DEFINE YOUR ADVENTURE!

I must admit the idea of booking a return from the UK and always having that return leg paid for but not knowing when it will be needed or used has never appealed to me either. We came on one way business class tickets and they were half of the return ticket and I have always found that the cheaper tickets are pretty unflexible anyway.

I will chuck in a response about when to book. Book as early as possible. I fly a lot (equivalant of London to Oz every month) and the idea of "last minute" cheap fares is a myth. Flights allocate a certain amount of seats to each booking cost type per flight - in economy there can be as many as 10 types each with a different price. Once that cost type is used, it is used.

As for return or single. It depends on if you are moving to Oz permanantly or for a holiday / WHV. If the later, then i would book a return. A open return is about $500 more than a fixed return and many airlines will not charge a fee for changing a open return provided it is used within 12 months of the outward flight. That is a lot cheaper than $1200+ for a flight home in a years time. It also means you are not having to worry about keeping money for the flight.

We just booked returns - we fly out of UK on 30 Dec and booked our returns for 17 Sept (close to school holidays) and will cost £100 each to change (plus fare diff) if we decide to push them back to nearer Christmas or have to come back sooner for some reason. A single was about £700 and return about £820 - we went with Qantas / Emirates and booked direct from the Qantas website - I fine http://www.skyscanner.net the best place to start. I think you can book about 300 days in advance at time of booking.

I agree that if booking a return is the more responsible thing to do but what if a backpacker is planning on staying for the two years if they do rural work or if they fancy going to asia or new zealand for a while. I've heard mixed reports with the date change passes. With STA travel anyway

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

I have now booked my tickets (went for a return), and I will arrive in Sydney on the 28th of November. I was planning on heading up to Cairns after a week or so but having read the Pom Queen's latest thread I am re-thinking.

Now cant wait!!!

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

I have now booked my tickets (went for a return), and I will arrive in Sydney on the 28th of November. I was planning on heading up to Cairns after a week or so but having read the Pom Queen's latest thread I am re-thinking.

Now cant wait!!!

Well that's 2 lots of advice you've taken! Well done Charlie :laugh: The 28th will be here before you know it. Hope you have a fabulous time!