BUYING

Bod

Guest Arnold

Hi John,

Cant say I have heard that, I have family and freinds who have gone too different parts of OZ to live and buy and they didnt have to buy new, but one of them choose too

cheers

Matt

Guest THE JONEZYS

I'm not positive but I think this only applies if you have a tourist/temporary visa, if you have a permanent visa you can buy what you like.........I think :?

Lesley

Hiya

When we visited Oz in March for a tv show ,they knew we were hopefully getting permant residency and when property viewing ,the houses they showed us bar one were all a fair few years old ,i personally have never heard or read about this buy new scinario and after 12 mth of internet research if it was true i thought id have seen it somewhere.Where's ABC when you need him??

Hope this helps

Cal x

Brisbane bound November (hopefully)

• 1 month later...
Guest john_g_wheeler

Hi Essex to Oz,

If you are not a permanent resident (i.e. don't have a permanent visa), you can buy second hand real-estate provided you have the permission of the Financial Investment Review Board (FIRB, see http://www.firb.gov.au).

The property needs to be your primary residence (i.e. not a second investment property), and you will have to sell it if you leave Australia without permanent residence.

You can do the application on-line, and it takes 2-3 weeks to receive the authorization.

The only tedious thing is that you have to apply for every property that you may want to buy. As the majority of properties seem to be sold via auction (at least in Sydney), you need to have the permission before you are allowed to bid. If you are potentially interested in several properties, you will need FIRB authorization for each one.

No permission is required if you are a permanent resident.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest austibeach

The situation is as the JONEZYS have stated. If you only have a tourist or temporary visa, you may only buy newly constructed property. However, as you have a perm. resident visa, you may buy whatever you can afford.....old or new.

Eric.

p.s. you may well have heard it stated on a program such as A Place in the Sun.......where I'm fairly certain they pointed this out to the couple hoping to buy.

Hi,

On a PR visa you can certainly bu what you want - te government will also give you a $7,000 grants and no stamp duty on houses upto $250k for WA purchases. :D

The Gov. grant of $7000 applies in all states, and is available on old and new properties and units too.

Conditions are:

The applicants must be first time home buyers in Australia - Australian citizens or permanent residents - have to have lived in Australia for a minimum period of six months - be over eighteen. They also have to live in the property.

http://www.firsthome.gov.au/

Koala

Archived